Search for content in message boards

Tennessee, Early Land Registers

Tennessee, Early Land Registers

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 7:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Please post questions you have regarding the Tennessee, Early Land Registers project on this thread.

Re: Tennessee, Early Land Registers

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 8:58PM GMT
This attachment is from the very top of the image and states "For value received of transfer the within platt and Certificate....." My question is, do we key names within such a statemement? If so, what do you think the surname of the underlined is? It is also my understanding that we are not to key the names at the end (Danl Calver or Jno F Vass)?
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 9:08PM GMT
We are only keying names found in the body of the grant.

Reasoning behind not keying the names at the end:
The signatures at the end are typically the surveyors/land office workers and will appear many times within the Registers - they did not live on the land, or near the land, so we are not keying them.

And I think it is either Estland or Estlund. (The person who wrote most of the records I have seen wrote their a's open so they look kind of like "u"s.)

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 9:12PM GMT
Look at the "and" and "Aug" right below - it makes me lean toward Estland.

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 9:17PM GMT
Thanks for your help Anna - I'll go with Estland.

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 9:28PM GMT
How about "Widow" as a prefix or should I drop?
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 9:40PM GMT
No, we typically don't enter Widow as a prefix - only if the field help specifies to.

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 6:50PM GMT
Edited: 8 Dec 2012 7:01PM GMT
What to do with these attachments? Looks like some kind of payment record. Do we key all of these - even the ones crossed out (they are particularly difficult to read)? Can't find a comparable example on the project wiki.
Attachments:

Posted: 22 Dec 2012 11:44PM GMT
My page starts in the middle of a record, the grant # is on a previous page that I have no access to. My question is, do I start on the first full record on the page or leave the grant # blank.

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 2:06PM GMT
Edited: 23 Dec 2012 2:08PM GMT
It seems to be hard getting answers to questions at this point in the project. All I can tell you is what I do. I treat each image as a unique one and do not carry over information from one page to the next (even though I have keyed sets that seem to the consecutive). If I run across an image that starts in the middle of a grant, I key any names listed without a grant number and use the date at the end of the grant (including names that just mention the surname such as "Smith's corner").
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions