Search for content in message boards

Coellen / Ramme Marriage abt 1867

Coellen / Ramme Marriage abt 1867

Posted: 15 Oct 2005 2:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Oct 2005 1:07PM GMT
Surnames: Coellen, Collen, Ramme, Bell
My 2nd great grandmother, Wilhelmine (Minnie) Ramme married a man I believe to be William Coellen. Coellen is often spelled Collen, Colen, etc. They had at least 2 children before William died in 1877. Minnie then married Walter Bell in 1878. I am looking for birth, marriage, and death info and documentation on any of them. I'd be glad to share what I know.

Re: Coellen / Ramme Marriage abt 1867

Posted: 16 Oct 2005 12:27AM GMT
Edited: 16 Feb 2006 1:38AM GMT
Surnames: Bell, Coellen
Dear Carole,

Do you have access to the censuses? Minnie appears on the 1900 census with Walter (54), her 4 children with Walter and her daughter Anna (25) from her first marriage. Odd part, the census shows that she had 5 children with 4 surviving. Unless these were children from her second marriage only.

The 1910 census shows Walter in a second marriage with M. Delphine. They have been married 2 years and have no children. Walter's daughter Minnie M. (28) from his first marriage lives with them.

1920 census shows Walter (73) as a widower. Son Walter E. is also listed on the same census page in another household.

The Mormon church website shows that Walter Jerome Bell married Minnie Coellen 12 January 1878 in Detroit. Says that this is an extracted record.

www.familysearch.org

If you go to the Mormon church website and do a locality search for Wayne County Michigan, you can see what vital records are available on microfilm. For death records, Detroit deaths are only included up to the end of 1897. In 1898 the City of Detroit began recording their own deaths. Wayne County (except) Detroit are included to 1917.

Vital records from the State of Michigan are pretty expensive-$26.00 by US mail, more via the internet. The $26.00 includes a three year search, $12.00 for each additional year over that.

http://michigan.gov/mdch/0,1607,7-132-4645---,00.html

The State website has the Genealogical Death Indexing System (GENDIS) link. You might want to look for Coellen' death. There is no soundex search and there are transcription errors.

Detroit death records are less than the State's unless they have changed their rates which the law allows them to do.

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/health/vital/vital_m.htm

If you believe the death to have occurred in Wayne County but not Detroit, you could try ordering the record from the County which is still less than the State the last time I checked.

http://www.waynecounty.com/clerk/

Here's a Wayne County website that might help.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~miwayne/index.htm

If the family was Catholic, the Church records are on microfilm at the main Detroit Public LIbrary's Burton HIstorical Collection. You would have to research yourself or hire a researcher. You are allowed to search Baptisms and Marriages up to 1900 but you can look at all the death records and confirmations.

Georgia

Re: Coellen / Ramme Marriage abt 1867

Posted: 17 Oct 2005 1:14AM GMT
Edited: 17 Oct 2005 5:38PM GMT
Surnames: Colln, Collen
Georgia, You are just a fountain of information! Thanks for your reply. I had seen the census record and the marriage record, too. The 5 children born and 4 living thing seemed strange to me, too. Actually, I think I found an 1870 census record with Minnie and her first husband, Henry, and a son, William (The last name is spelled Colln). The dates and birth places make sense and then the Michigan death index shows a Henry Collen who died in time for Minnie to marry Walter. That would actually make her the mother of 6. I couldn't find William on any more census records so maybe he died.

I live 4 hours from SLC and plan to go to the Family History Library again in the next couple months. I'll do more research there and hopefully turn something up.

The state of Michigan is pretty tight with their birth records and pretty greedy in their pricing of other records. I hope that I can find everything I need in SLC.

Let me know if I can help you with something. Thanks, again, for your response.

Carole
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions