Search for content in message boards

Peter Smith/Abigail Muchmore 1790 Glengarry

Peter Smith/Abigail Muchmore 1790 Glengarry

Posted: 8 May 2002 3:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Mar 2005 3:32PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH & MUCHMORE
Looking for information on GGGG grandparents, PETER SMITH and ABIGAIL MUCHMORE, UEL member, married in Williamstown, Ontario 1786. Abigail was abducted with her mother and three siblings near Fort Pitt by indians in 1777 and taken to Detroit. They were later released. Abigail eventually joined her brother JONATHAN MUCHMORE in Williamstown where she married Peter Smith, a blacksmith. I am willing to share information.

Bill Hayes

Re: Peter Smith/Abigail Muchmore 1790 Glengarry

Gordon Sova (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2002 12:52PM GMT
Surnames: Smith
This is a little sketchy, but it may help.

My GGG grandfather was a Peter Smith who served, we believe, with the King's Royal Yorkers during the American Revolution. His dates are 1753 to 1833. After the war, he received Crown land on what is now called the King's Road not far from Martintown. However, the church was in Williamstown and that is where he was buried and would have been married as well.

I don't have any information on whether he was a blacksmith, though my grandfather had a smithy on his property and the skill may well have been handed down. There is a story that he turned his hand to freelance dentistry, though with what success I can't say.

There is also a Peter Smith Jr. who received land adjacent to Peter Smith a few years later and was presumably his son.

I was looking at my mother's research on the family tree just a few days ago but, unfortunately, didn't make note of the other information you need.

The story of the wife's abduction is probably uncommon enough to have been remembered, but I can't say that I have ever heard it mentioned by anyone in the family.

I am going to apply for my U.E. designation in the near future and I will have to verify my Peter Smith to get it. I will let you know what I can find out.

Posted: 10 May 2013 3:39AM GMT
Surnames: Smith
Hello from Alberta -

I have just come across your 2002 info. on Peter Smith and believe he is an ancestor of mine as well. My family line is as follows: Peter Smith (1753 -1833) m. Isabella Grant (1756-1856), son Duncan Smith (1789-1834) m. Margaret Fraser(1799-1889), daughter Mary Smith, b. 1828-1917 King's Road Martintown m. Simon Fraser (1826-1899) and down. I understand that Peter Smith was a UEL, granted land in Charlottenburg in 1790 (date?) He also had a son, Peter Jr., who also received land in 1790.

I would be very interested in any info. you might have on the Peter Smith family in Williamstown, Glengarry. I may be able to share info. from Peter Smith back - just need to confirm that this is actually my family line.

Thanks so much!

Posted: 10 May 2013 2:15PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Grant
It looks like we are related. Some of the vital records, such as DOB and death years, are mixed up between Peter Smith, Sr and Peter Smith, Jr.

I have Duncan Smith as being the 9th child of Peter Smith & Isabella Grant. I have them with 12 children in all.

I am willing to share information with you. You can email me at whhwoodman@wowway.com

Posted: 23 Aug 2013 3:33AM GMT
Surnames: Smith Muchmore
I have what may be new info on the two Peter Smiths. There is a UEL claim for Peter Smith Jr where he explains that there were two Peter Smiths in the regiment. They are not related but to distinguish between them one was called Sr and one Jr. The Sr married Muchmore. Jr is the line I descend from. I can provide more a link to the UEL petition if you like. There are other petitions from them as well and also petitions from children who would refer to themselves as children or Sr or Jr which helps to trace the families.

Posted: 23 Aug 2013 10:25PM GMT
Thanks for contacting me. Yes, I am extremely interested in any information you have involving Peter Smith, Sr. and Jr.
I can be contacted at whhwoodman@wowway.com
Bill Hayes

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 2:56PM GMT
Hello!

I would be very interested in having the link(s) to the UEL petitions. I have been trying to sort out the two Peter Smiths for some time now. Best I can tell, I do not descend down from the Peter Smith who married Abigail Muchmore, so perhaps I, also, descend from Peter Smith Jr. (married Isabella Grant)This would be very helpful information. As would be any other Peter Smith family info. you would be interested in sharing.

I can be reached at kaziegler3@hotmail.com.

Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions