Search for content in message boards

Home for Unwed Mothers during 1950's

Home for Unwed Mothers during 1950's

Posted: 9 Jun 2004 2:36AM GMT
Does anyone know the name of the home(s) for unwed mothers in the Johnson City or Endicott area during the 1950's? Do you know any information about the home(s) and how they were run? Any info would be appreciated. Looking for a half brother born in that area either April 1954 or September 27, 1953.

Re: Home for Unwed Mothers during 1950's

jasmine (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2004 8:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
One was called the Susquehanna Home for Orpahans they closed in 1971, my mother was ther when she had my brothert also.

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 10:52PM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2005 12:43AM GMT
Jasmine
Do you know where the Susquehanna Home for Orphans was located? The township, county?

jasmine (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2004 1:46PM GMT
It is located in Broome county, in Binghamton New York.

Reg Niles (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2005 3:23AM GMT
I'm not too confident that there was a maternity home in the largest cities of Broome county. Of course, a query which mentions "the Johnson City or Endicott area" puts the burden on the respondent to be familiar with the area. It would be easier to check a list of cities and towns, rather than knowing the "area." I checked Binghamton plus the two cities mentioned above.

If you wish, you can read this book : National Council on Illegitimacy (U.S.). "Directory: Maternity Homes and Residential Facilities for Unmarried Mothers: A Guide for Use and Selection," compiled by Mary Patek. New York: The Council, 1966. 206 p. Title also cited as: Maternity Homes and Residential Facilities for Unmarried Mothers: Directory: A Guide for Use and Selection, and: Directory [of] Maternity Homes and Residential Facilities for Unmarried Mothers. Lists 194 entries in the U.S., all of which are nonprofit.

I used that source, and many others, when I compiled my 1982 book, which is titled : "Adoption Agencies, Orphanages and Maternity Homes : An Historical Directory." It's arranged by state, thereunder by city. The county in which a city is located is given in parentheses, but you'd have to go through 973 entries for New York State.

The book isn't indexed. Someday I hope to see it on CD-ROM in a format that is searchable by one's computer.

Reg Niles

Karen Foster (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2005 4:19AM GMT
there was a home for unwed mother called Springer Private Hospital, in Johnson City, NY I am looking for info on a baby born on 4/16/1951

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 12:05AM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2005 12:43AM GMT
Karen, Do you know if there are any records of births at the Springer Hospital in Johnson City, NY? I have not been able to locate any records on-line, but are there records in Johnson City?

Karen Foster (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2005 1:35AM GMT
Classification: Bible
You can't get birth records from Johnson City online. You can call and ask about a birth cert. by birth mother name so far I haven't found one yet. If you can give me some info I will check on it for you. I would need birth mothers name or adopted mothers name. Sometimes they would but the apoted mothers name down for the birth mother, they would even change the date of birth sometimes. Any info you could give might help in finding our sister. Were you born in Springer Hospital and if so what is your birthdate. Thanks for replying it means alot to hear from someone. Thanks again. Karen

Becky (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2005 12:35AM GMT
I was not born at the Springer Hospital. I am searching for a brother who was born there and adopted. I believe he was born in 1953 or 1954, either April or September. It depends on which relative you talk to. Could you post your email address and I will email you with more details.
Where do you call to get info on births at Springer? Are the records stored in Johnson City, or do you have to go through NY State in Albany?

Karaen Foster (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2005 1:45AM GMT
The thing is Springer Hospital's records might have been destroyed no one knows for sure. I just started the search for my sister or brother? Email me with some info and I can send you in the right direction. esther372@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic