Search for content in message boards

LARSON, Hans Peter: looking for grave in Racine, WI

LARSON, Hans Peter: looking for grave in Racine, WI

Posted: 25 Nov 2002 7:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: LARSON
I was hoping that someone could help me with finding where my gg-grandparents are buried.

They lived on 8th street near Racine St in Racine, WI.

Hans Peter's wife's name is either Sophia (1880 census) or Mary (1900 census) or maybe Sophia Mary or Mary Sophia since she is the same age and born in the same places in both censuses.

Hans Peter and his wife were both born about 1846 or 1847 (33 in 1880 census).

They appear together in the 1900 census but Hans P is living alone in the 1920 census. Hans P does not appear in the 1930 census and is not listed as a survivor of his son who died in 1931. So, I believe that Hans died between 1920 and 1930 and his wife between 1900 and 1920.

Thank you in advance for any help on this. It's been rather hard tracing this family from Oregon.
Lisa Gumm.

Re: LARSON, Hans Peter: looking for grave in Racine, WI

Posted: 12 Dec 2002 10:53PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jan 2003 11:25PM GMT
I checked the death records and found only 1 Hans Peter Larson who died from 1920-1930.

died March 10, 1922
born April 2, 1855-Denmark
father and mother unknown
occupation woodworker
residence 900 12th St
place of death St Mary's Hosp.
informant-Alfred Larsen
buried 03-13-1922-Graceland Cem.
Thronson Funeral Home
cause-carcinoma transverse colon

Lisa Gumm (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2002 11:58PM GMT
Surnames: Larson
I do not believe that this is my Hans Larson. This Hans Larson is on the 1920 census on page 9A Enumeration District 65 Line 16. He is living in Racine at 900 12th street living as a boarder there.

Mine was living on 834 Racine Street, Racine and was born around 1847. If this is the only Hans it makes me wonder when or where he died.

Thank you very much for all of your help!!!
Lisa.

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 8:09PM GMT
my grandmothers name was marie sofia larsen married to nels peter larsen she ran a broading home at 910 th street in racine wi. may 3 1959 he died before i was born

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 7:53PM GMT
Edited: 11 Feb 2013 7:55PM GMT
Lisa-

Do you have Louis' obit? Just in case, I'll attach it.

It looks like Sophia is still alive for the 1905 census in Racine. Is she also Henrietta that appears in the 1910 census with Hans and Agnes along with Carl and his family or did Hans re-marry? Hans and Henrietta are also the same age in the 1910, married once each for 39 years and she is the mother of 6 and both immigrated in 1869 which would be off by 2-3 years according to Louis' obit.

I haven't located their deaths or burials but it looks like your Sophia Mary now has another name, Henrietta.

Do you connect to one of their children? It looks like Agnes remained single and became a nurse in Chicago.

SISU!
John
Attachments:

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 7:45PM GMT
Thank you for the obit. I originally posted that query in 2002 and I have fount a lot more information since then. I finally found that Hans and Sophia were buried in the Mound Cemetery in Racine. (Attached is a picture of Hans's stone) Near them was Carl and Agnes. Agnes went by Peggy and was married for a time to Thomas Bolz but they divorced and she went back to Larson. What I didn't know was that Agnes was a nurse. Thank you for that information. How did you find it?

My great-grandfather Albert was one of their sons. He was a lawyer in Shawano, Wisconsin. His brother Edward was a doctor and had a hospital in Wheeling, Illinois.

What I need to track down now is a copy of Hans's immigration papers. I'm not quite sure where to request them.
Lisa.
Attachments:

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 7:48PM GMT
I don't think that these are the same person. I finally found that Hans died in 1927 and Sophia in 1917. In looking through their children and grand-children I don't see a Nels Peter.

I do know that researching Larsons in Racine is difficult. What has made it easier for me is that mine are from Denmark when most are from Sweden.

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 7:22PM GMT
Lisa-

Glad you were able to locate their place of burial. I was going to suggest calling Emmaus, new spelling, church for that info after I found the Mrs obit. I'm attaching that and the public thank-you that appeared in the newspaper.

I saw a few mentions of Agnes going to nursing school in Chicago and graduating. I actually found lots of little tidbits on the family in the local newspapers but it tended to get a bit confusing when I found a second Nels Peter Larson that got a divorce and of course, the LARSON surname is quite common so it gets a bit hard sorting them all out.

I have access to NewspaperArchive via my local library and they have many of the old Racine newspapers on-line and searchable. If your not familiar with it, you should ask at your own local library to see if they offer this access also. For free, it's a wonderful resource. The only drawback is that it's not a complete archive. There's gaps here and there which is why I didn't find Han's obit.

If it's that important, you can always contact the Racine Public Library and ask for a copy of Han's obit but it will cost.

Have you checked www.familysearch.org to see if they have Han's naturalization info? My gr-grandpa's papers were filed in Racine but earlier filings went to Chicago. You could try the UW-Parkside Library to see if they have the old files and if they can do a look-up. I heard that UWP has a lot of old court files from Racine & Kenosha.

SISU!
John
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions