Search for content in message boards

Johann (ysan) Kuick

Johann (ysan) Kuick

Posted: 12 Mar 2004 3:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jul 2005 12:09AM GMT
Surnames: Spitzer, Kuick, Hammer,
Hi list, can anyone tell me what the (ysan) means in the name, Johann (ysan) Kuick, ?? Appreciate the help.
jean

Re: Johann (ysan) Kuick

Posted: 13 Mar 2004 4:45AM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2006 3:35PM GMT
Jean

On what sort of papers is this (ysan) listed as it does not make sense in few languages that I know.

www.bmi.net/jjaso for church wording in Latin and Hungarian

The Ellis Island website is listing about 8 KUICKs that passed thru that port.
Hungary's phone site is listing a surname KUIK.

www.rat.de/kuijsten/navigator
http://vivisimo.com

Posted: 13 Mar 2004 6:17AM GMT
Thank you for responding, we are trying to track an Umback family, from MN, an we ran across the (ysan) in one of the papers, I will enclose here a copy of what was sent to me, so you may see how it was used.

1. Casmir Kuich died 3/10/1927 at age 56, at the Jamestown, ND, State Hospital. He was buried at Brandon, MN. Brandon is a town near Millerville, MN, where Fr. Kuich said his first Mass. The data states he was born in WI. I don't think this is correct as his father applied for citizenship in 1867 in Douglas Co., MN.
2. Naturalization papers for his father states his name was Johann (Ysan) Kuich. I don't know what the 'Ysan' refers too.
3. I plan to go to the MN Historical next Tuesday for more research. I have some dates for Casmir's siblings, so maybe I can put this family together. I have the obit for Fr. Paul Kuich, which then I can e-mail you along with the other stuff I find. I think John Kuich & his wife, Martina (Eva?), died before 1902 as there is no listing in the MN Death Listing from 1908-1996. Will have to visit the cemeteries at Brandon and Millerville, MN, or the Douglas Co. Courthouse for this.
I will keep in touch.

This is all we have found so far, but the (ysan) kind of puzzled us, so if you can give me any idea of what it might mean, I'd sure be happy to have the info.

Many thanks for your help
jean

Posted: 13 Mar 2004 6:23AM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2006 3:35PM GMT
Can this Ysan be a misspelling of JAN as in Johann?
Casimir sounds like a Polish person's name.
Surname KUICH and UMBACH shows up in 1990 Poland's census.

www.pgsa.org
http://maxpages.com/poland

Posted: 13 Mar 2004 4:46PM GMT
As for nationality, I was always told that the family was German, they spoke German, so I think I have another mystery on my hands, I will post the same query on a polish site, an see what happens. I thank you for your time though, I appreciate it.
jean
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions