Search for content in message boards

Deweese

Deweese

Lee Blomquist (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Deweese, Flannery, Jones, Winchester
I am looking for information on Soloman DEWEESE who married Mary Ann FLANNERY, and is burried in Skullyville Cemetary, Leflore County, OK. He had a daughter Miranda who married Wylie JONES. The family was found in Texas Co. MO and in the Skullyville area. Also looking for a WINCHESTER family who was in the same areas. I have visited the Spiro/Skullyville area and have seen the graves and stones available. What I would like to find out is was Solomon DEWEESE Choctaw and if not why is he burried in the Skullyville cemetary? Another question is two of his infant grand daughters (WINCHESTERS) are burried outside the maintained boundries of the cemetary, I have been told recently that this is the section that indian slaves were burried in, is this true? Any help is appreciated.

Re: Deweese

Wayne Atchley (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2002 11:56AM GMT
Yes, the graves outside of the fenced boundaries of the Choctaw National Cemetery at Skullyville belong to slaves, freedmen, and some of their descendants. Source: www.skullyville.com

Re: Deweese

Posted: 11 Jun 2014 3:41AM GMT
Surnames: DEWEEESE, JONES
I was married to the JONES line for many years. I was told that Solomon DeWeese was a paymaster at the pay station there. That is why he is buried there. I have never found out that he was indian. Wylie/Wiley Jones is buried at NEW HOPE CEMETERY on down the road. Also the WINCHESTERS grandchildren are buried at NEW HOPE CEMETERY with their parents, NOT outside the boundries of Skullyville cemetery.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions