Search for content in message boards

Walter G. Gloyd & Virginia Gloyd & Hood River 1901-1916

Walter G. Gloyd & Virginia Gloyd & Hood River 1901-1916

Posted: 15 Feb 2009 11:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gloyd, Woodward
My great uncle & aunt, Walter Gerry & Virginia "Jane" (Woodward) Gloyd operated a boarding house for a short period of time in Hood River in the very early could have been before their daughter, Marion Olive Gloyd, (born May 11, 1901 in Portland, OR) left home for New York City at age 16, in 1917. It could also have been after 1917 & before Walter's death in 1938.
I doubt if the Gloyd's owned a boarding house; I imagine they rented out rooms in a house they rented.
They had already tried their hand at homesteading near Silverton at Scott's Mills, operating a prune orchard near Tigard or Newberg and ended up living in the Prederman home on Mt. Tabor as caretakers. He was a dreamer, not a business man or farmer, though may have thought he was.
Barbara (Dunkelberger) Beck Hess
5316 SW Erickson Avenue
Beaverton, OR 97005
barwayhess@aol.com
503-641-1009

Re: Walter G. Gloyd & Virginia Gloyd & Hood River 1901-1916

Posted: 14 Oct 2010 5:47AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Gloyd, Clark, Woodward
You mentioned Walter Gloyd died in 1938. I found an obituary for June of 1940:

Date: June 03, 1940
Paper: Oregonian
Page 6 column 7

GLOYD - June 2, Walter G. Gloyd, late of 2412 10th ave., Milwaukie; husband of Jane Gloyd; father of Mrs. Marion Clark, San Francisco; brother of Mrs. Gertrude Woodward. Friends are invited to attend services Tuesday, 12:30 P.M., at Edward Holman & Son, The House of Holman, Hawthorne blvd. at 27th. Concluding services Portland Crematorium, auspices Portland lodge No. 55, A.F. and A.M.

I am not related,
Eelitta

Posted: 14 Oct 2010 6:13AM GMT
Surnames: Gloyd, Clark
Date: September 03, 1931
Page 12 column 3

Miss Marion Gloyd, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter G. Gloyd, who formerly made their home in Portland before going to New York city a few years ago, will leave early next week for Vancouver, B.C., and will sail on September 12 on the Empress of Canada for Penang, where she will be married to Ian Bryce Clark, son of Major and Mrs. Thomas Clark of Inverness-shire, Scotland. Miss Gloyd met her fiancé last year while on a world tour, and following the wedding will make her home in the Dutch East Indies, where Mr. Clark is in charge of a rubber plantation.

Date: September 27, 1931
There is a lovely picture of her in her wedding dress. If you e-mail me, I would be glad to e-mail you a copy.

I am not related. I just like to help others.
Eellitta
russetred@msn.com

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 10:18PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2012 10:19PM GMT
Surnames: Woodward, Gloyd, Clark, Dunkelberger, Hess
I just reread your nice email with the information on my cousin, Marion Gloyd
I recall reading your email 2 years ago, and I thought I had replied asking you to email the photo of Marion in her wedding dress.
Somehow I don't recall ever receiving that email. Since 2010 I have changed my email address from Barwayhess@aol.com to butterfly9356@comcast.net
I apologize for the confusion. I was busy quilting and left the genalogy for another dayh.

Posted: 31 Jul 2012 2:25AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2012 3:47AM GMT
Surnames: Gloyd
I sent the photo to you Barbara.

Best regards,
Eellitta
per page

Find a board about a specific topic