Search for content in message boards

Index Duplication with 2nd Cousins Marrying

Index Duplication with 2nd Cousins Marrying

Posted: 19 May 2012 2:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
This might be similar the "Double Cousin" post but I had better keep it separate.

I have a case of second cousins marrying (each other). As I enter the name of each second cousin as the spouse of the other in their respective profiles their names are duplicated in the index. I really don't see any way around this. Is it just something I have to accept. This is in AFT.

Heaven knows what FTM will make of it when I sync!

Re: Index Duplication with 2nd Cousins Marrying

Posted: 19 May 2012 8:38PM GMT
You shouldn't be entering them as spouses which results in a duplicate person) but rather choosing the "Add from my tree" if they are already in your database.

Posted: 19 May 2012 9:09PM GMT
This message board is about ancient Ancestry Family Tree home-computer genealogy software, not about the Ancestry MemberTrees on the Ancestry.com site.

The message board about AncestryMemberTrees is here:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.ancestry.membertree.member...

Posted: 19 May 2012 9:50PM GMT
Sorry, the heading of the board is Ancestry Family Tree and I thought that is what I am using.

Posted: 19 May 2012 9:54PM GMT
Many thanks but I can not find that facility on my tree. I seem to have posted this on the wrong board so I will start again over on Rootsweb.

Posted: 19 May 2012 9:56PM GMT
No matter what genealogy program you use the process is the same: never add a person twice. Of course with AFT you can merge two people but on Ancestry.com you can't.

Posted: 19 May 2012 10:09PM GMT
Hi Robert,

Can you help me please? I am gettig confused.What is AFT? I thought that Ancestry Family Tree was the name for the web based Ancestry programme.

I do not want to enter the same people twice on Ancestry.com but I don't know how to avoid it with these second cousins marrying. Are you saying there is no way around this? I will post over on Rootsweb if there is a problem.

Thanks for your help.

Posted: 19 May 2012 10:34PM GMT
AFT, Ancestry Family Tree, is an old Windows program that Ancestry.com used to distribute for free. It's been superseded by Ancestral Quest.

Posted: 19 May 2012 10:40PM GMT
Many thanks.

Posted: 11 Jul 2012 8:00PM GMT
...jumping in late here but having the same problem:
second cousins marry, how do I avoid adding a duplicate instance on my tree? There seems to be no way to avoid it..
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions