Search for content in message boards

Errors in Sync Change Log - Details

Errors in Sync Change Log - Details

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 4:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jan 2012 5:37PM GMT
Anyone else seeing this issue?
Out of an abundance of caution, I always check the Sync Change Log - Details before I commit to a sync.
I have noticed occasionally that the proposed changes are WAY OUT OF WACK, in that it shows changes to many more people, media or citations than I am expecting.
It just happened again.
I had made one change to one citation on one person in FTM. The Log showed changes to 6 citations on several people. I canceled the sync and started it again. The second try showed what I expected so I allowed it to go forward. Sync completed successfully.
So, my question is are others seeing this? Is it more previlent with changes to FTM or AMT? It seems quite random, and so far I have not identified a trend.

Gary

Re: Errors in Sync Change Log - Details

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 5:30PM GMT
I've noticed it as well. As you said, there doesn't seem to be a trend.

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 9:34PM GMT
Hi Gary,

Yes I have seen this occasionally. Once, after making a few minor changes online, I had about 1500 proposed. Naturally I cancelled out and came back later when all seemed OK.

I wonder if that is related to another problem I have - that of duplicated marriage citations. Some of my citations have been duplicated over 30 times many around 8 times. I have reported that and have been asked to leave them in place while the problem is investigated.

John

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 3:16AM GMT
Well, I am disappointed. I would have bet it was more previlent than this. Can we few be the only ones that check the log. :(

I've seen it at least half a dozen times since September myself and had the theory that many of the data dupes and errors being reported were being introduced this way.

I feel like I have avoided several disasters to my own data for sure, so will continue to check before I commit to sync.

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 4:48PM GMT
Where does one find this "Sync Change Log"?

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 11:22PM GMT
It is the name of the dialogue window that pops up during the sync process. The one with the timer running, that says how many changes are included. Clicking on the "View Details" shows you what is going to change with the sync.

I wish it was available as a real log as to what occured with each sync, but I've not found where it might be stored if it is saved anywhere.

Posted: 1 Feb 2012 12:22AM GMT
Thank you for the information.

Next sync I will check it out.

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 2:47PM GMT
I also noticed that if you get an error it just doesnt dissapear after the following sync sessions.
The error report says "Media Process Errors" but no details and stays there forever.

Also does anyone know if you can change the sync change log details report to see the name or nickname of the person doing the changes on the FTM web tree instead of the name of the account holder? It is important to know who in your group of collaborators did the changes and all i see is my own login name even when my brother does changes.

Marcelo

Posted: 27 Jan 2013 4:07PM GMT
I also see strange anomalies in the sync log, and I know there has been at least one discussion about it on this board, since the sync change log was introduced.

If, for example, I have added a media item to 1 person, it will often show up, in the log only, as related to dozens of other people. I have verified in my tree, both online and in FTM, that the media item is only attached to the 1 correct person.

So, IMHO, the new sync change log is pretty useless. I do keep copies, but between this persistent error and the truncation of source detail, it cannot be relied on.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions