Search for content in message boards

Toma?

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 4:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
My great-great grand uncle's obituary states that the family came from Toma in County Galway. I can't find any such place. Do you think it could possibly refer to Tuam?
Posted: 8 Oct 2012 11:44PM GMT
Undoubtedly it's Tuam. Irish place names are frequently mangled by obituary writers. Tuam is a historic town north of Galway City and the home of two Cathedrals, one Protestant and one Catholic. It is also one of the liveliest towns in the West of Ireland.
Posted: 25 Nov 2012 7:18PM GMT
Surnames: toma ?
hi, yes i think it is more likely to be tuam galway,
i happen to be searching the tuam area at the moment on ancestry, and i have not come across any where named toma,

good luck !!

Re: Toma?

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 10:36PM GMT
The end of name could also be missing as in
Tomany, Kylebrack, Loughrea, Co Galway

What Surname are you researching?
Posted: 14 Jan 2013 3:01PM GMT
Surnames: Hackett
Hi I have only just seen your message and also the replies, yes it is Tuam Co. Galway. I am trying to locate my great grandfather he was born there but unable to find on ancestry anything. I did wonder whether to get in touch with the local parish churches.I am looking into the name Hackett 1818 Luke, anyway we will have to keep searching happy hunting. x
Posted: 15 Jan 2013 12:31AM GMT
Thanks for all the replies. My ancestors from Tuam are Michael Hefferon and Emma Blake and their children. I hope I'll be able to find out more someday now that I've narrowed down the town.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions