Search for content in message boards

Costellos in Co Tipperary

Costellos in Co Tipperary

Posted: 1 May 2012 2:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: costello/ Sheehy
Looking for information on family/ descendants of Patrick and Ann Costello (Ann Sheehy) that lived in Glengar, Co Tipperary around late 1800's/ early 1900's. They had several children: John, Nora, William, Thomas, Richard and Mary. They lived at house 5 and house 20 in Glengar, Co Tipperary per the 1901 and 1911 census.

Re: Costellos in Co Tipperary

Posted: 28 May 2012 2:39PM GMT
There are 170 Costello's still in the telephone book for Tipperary. None at a place named Glengar. I tried to find the closest big town.

Glengar was a Townland in the Parish of Doon, in the Union of Tipperary which means within a 12 mile radius of the Town of Tipperary.

For births after 1864 you should find them on
www.familysearch.org

Prior to 1864 would only be a Parish records which are available via an online not for profit Heritage Society that does charge a fee to search.

I didn't find them in the 1901 census but did see the 1911
and see Patrick and Ann had been married 27 years, had 7 children and 6 were living. This puts the marriage about 1864 and it could be listed on familysearch, however, I was unable to find it, so possibily it was just prior to 1864.

I did find a Thomas Costello born 1864 Carrick on Suir,
no details other than that.

Tipperary is a member of a Heritage Foundation with birth and marriage records both before and after 1864. This is a not for profit organization but a fee is charged. You can
get certified copy of a civil registration from
the General Registry, Dublin www.groireland.ie

there are 170 Costello's still in the phone book for Tipperary but no name Glengar that I can see, I only looked at page one, but addresses given are sufficient for mail delivery. there are 17 Sheehy's.

Annette Code

Posted: 7 Jul 2012 8:26PM GMT
Surnames: Costello
Lisboney New cemetery Nenagh;

Mary Costello (nee Shehan) Pearse st Nenagh
8/7/1983 (64)
hus-Dan
25/2/1990 (72)
son-Pat
20/12/1988 (42)
son-John
16/10/1995 (34)
----
Catherine (Rena) Costello; Wolfe Tone st Nenagh
5/1/1958 (44)
her bros;
Gerard; 11/6/1973 (47)
Bernard; 3/8/1960 (45) interred in Cardiff
Michael; 24/10/1975 (45) interred in Birmingham
sis-Margaret Simpson; 24/7/2005 (82)
---
Patrick (Paddy) Costello; Wolfe Tone st Nenagh
27/1/1973 (53)
infant son-Patrick Gerard Noel
10/12/1966-4/1/1967
======================
Jack

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 10:13PM GMT
Hello sgibbons12,

The 1901 census you referenced shows that 47 year old Ann Costelloe was born in County Tipperary. However, if you proceed to the 1911 census you’ll see that Annie is listed as being born in County Limerick, which borders Tipperary.

With this information I believe I located the marriage index for Patrick Costello and Anne Sheehy at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for County Limerick.

The index shows that Patrick and Anne were married in Murroe, County Limerick. The index also shows this is a civil rather than a church marriage, which took place in a (CP), with the initials CP standing for Civil Parish.

The IFHF home page can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Before accessing indexes at any of the IFHF member counties, you’ll need to register with the website. You’ll be able to access indexes that I uncovered for free, but will have to purchase credits to obtain marriage or baptism transcriptions. The transcriptions will be sent to your computer after you purchase the credits. You purchase credits by credit card.

The civil marriage index for Patrick Costello and Anne Sheehy follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Costello (plus variants) Patrick 1884 Parish: MURROE (CP)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Limerick
Surname: Costello
First Name: Patrick
Spouse's Surname: Sheehy
Spouse's First Name: Anne
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1884

Parish/District: Parish: MURROE (CP)
____

Civil marriage indexes from this time period traditionally include the names of the fathers of the groom and bride. But,
Civil marriage indexes you find at the IFHF website don’t automatically provide you with the names of the fathers of the groom and bride. You have to either know who the parents were, or find out who they were through other research, or purchase a transcription of the marriage to find out who they were. The other option is to guess who they were. The 1901 and 1911 census returns show that Patrick and Anne had sons named John, William, Thomas, and Richard. I figured that one of these names could possibly be the first name of Patrick’s father. The IFHF search engine accepted William as Patrick’s father.

The revised marriage index follows, showing that Patrick’s father was William Costello:

1 match for the search criteria: Costello (plus variants) Patrick 1884 Parish: MURROE (CP)

First Name: Patrick
Spouse's Surname: Sheehy
Spouse's First Name: Anne
Father's Surname: Costello
Father's First Name: William
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

Next, with Anne Sheehy as the primary partner in the marriage index, I wanted to see if I could find out the first name of her father. Again, going back to the 1901and 1911 census returns I figured one of the sons of Patrick and Anne, would possibly be the first name of Anne’s father as well. This proved to be true as the IFHF search engine accepted John as Anne’s father:

1 match for the search criteria: Sheehy (plus variants) Anne 1884 Parish: MURROE (CP)

Surname: Sheehy
First Name: Anne
Spouse's Surname: Costello
Spouse's First Name: Patrick
Father's Surname: Sheehy
Father's First Name: John
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

Murroe, which is also spelled Moroe, is located just southeast of Limerick City. In the 1800s the town was in the civil parish of Abington. It’s possible that this is the town Anne Sheehy was living in when she married. If you order the marriage transcription for Patrick and Anne, see if Anne was living in Murroe. The marriage record may also tell you where Patrick was living at the time of his marriage and also what Patrick’s occupation was, as well as the occupations of the fathers of Patrick and Anne.

It’s also possible that Patrick and Anne were married in the Murroe Catholic Church. I didn’t uncover a church marriage index for Patrick and Anne at the IFHF website for Limerick. The marriage transcription from the IFHF may or may not tell you the name of the church where Patrick and Anne were married. If the record doesn’t mention the name of the church, and if you want to see if Patrick and Anne had been married in the Murroe Catholic Church, you can contact the fee-based Tipperary Family History Research, which covers Catholic Church records for the Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly. This Archdiocese covers most of County Tipperary and portions of County Limerick.

The website for Tipperary Family Research can be found at: http://www.tfhr.org/

To view a Catholic Parish map, showing the location of the parishes of Murroe, Boher, and Abington in Limerick, go to the Irish Times website link at: http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/li...

To read a brief article about Murroe, and to view a photo of Murroe’s Main Street from 2004, and to also see a photo of the local Catholic Church, named Church of Holy Rosary, go to the Wikipedia link at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murroe

To view a modern map of Murroe, go to the Google Map link at: http://tinyurl.com/brqr2jy

Next, I looked for but didn’t find birth or baptism indexes for children of Patrick Costello and Anne Sheehy recorded in County Limerick But I did uncover one birth index for a child of theirs in County Tipperary South at the IFHF website.

This is the birth index for William Costello. His birth took place in Cappagh Tipperary in 1889:

1 match for the search criteria: Costello (plus variants) William 1889 Parish: CAPPAGH (CP)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Tipperary (South)
First Name: William
Father's Surname: Costello
Father's First Name: Patrick
Mother's Surname: Sheehy
Mother's First Name: Anne

Year: 1889

Parish/District: CAPPAGH (CP)
____

The 1901 and 1911 census enumerations for the Costello shows the family living in Glengar, Tipperary. Glengar was located in the Civil Parish of Doon. However, there were several townlands in Tipperary named Cappagh. The Cappagh referred to in the above IFHF birth index, I believe, was in the Civil parish of Toem.

According to the Tipperary Civil parish map found at the Irish Times website, the Civil parishes of Doon and Toem bordered one another. But, the Irish Times map place both parishes in the southern section of the North Ridings of Tipperary, whereas the IFHF birth index places Cappagh in the South Ridings.

However, the 1861 edition of the “General Alphabetical Index To The Townland And Towns, Parishes And Baroines of Ireland,” places both the Civil Parishes of Doon and Toem in the North Ridings of Tipperary. You can view a Civil parish map of North Tipperary at the Irish Times link at: http://tinyurl.com/3ox9dr2

Once at the map find the number 22 in the southern portion of the map. This is Doon, the parish in which Glengar was situated. You’ll see that Doon also boarders County Limerick. Just to the right of number 22 is number 74. This is the Civil Parish of Toem, in which Cappagh was located,

Best Wishes,

Dave Boylan

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 11:30AM GMT
Hi,
My grandmother told me that her aunt Anne Sheehy married a Patrick Costello. Anne was born in Limerick, close to the border of Tipperary I believe.
I can tell you that her father was indeed John Sheehy.
I don't have much info on Anne and have always tried to find her on records as all the other parts of the family history that my Nana told me have been found to be correct.
I am curious to see if your Anne is the lady my Nana told me about.

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 3:48AM GMT
Hello Emerald Tree,

It's very possible that our relatives are indeed related. My hubby's paternal grandmother Anne Sheehy was married to Patrick Costello and her father was named John. Below I've listed family details from the 1901 Irish census.
Do you happen to know more information about Anne's background (mother name, etc)?

Residents of a house 5 in Glengar (Glengar, Tipperary)Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Costelloe Patrick 52 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Tipperary Farmer Read and write - Married -
Costelloe Ann 47 Female Wife Roman Catholic Tipperary - Read and write - Married -
Costelloe John 14 Male Son Roman Catholic Tipperary Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Costelloe Hanora (Nora) 13 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Tipperary Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Costelloe William 10 Male Son Roman Catholic Tipperary Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Costelloe Thomas 9 Male Son Roman Catholic Tipperary Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Costelloe Richard 7 Male Son Roman Catholic Tipperary Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Costelloe Mary 6 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Tipperary Scholar Read and write - Not Married -

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 7:34AM GMT
Hi,
have you seen the marriage certificate for Anne & Patrick?
which townlands are stated for Patrick & Anne's residence?
Both their father's names will be on the certificate.
It may also state if their dad's were still alive at the time.

I look forward to your reply - because if you know this info we could make the link between your family and what my Nana told me.

My email is emeraldtree@optusnet.com.au

Posted: 11 Apr 2013 8:24PM GMT
Hello Emerald Tree,

I do not have marriage certificate, but do know much of what happened to Anne & Patrick's descendants in the US. Per your e-mail address it appears that you are from Australia. I'f you are interested in swapping some information based on what you know of the family histories of the Costellos/ Sheehy, let me know.

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 6:00AM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2013 6:04AM GMT
Hi,

I have a strong feeling that if Anne Sheehy was not my Great Grandfather's sister - she would have been his first cousin.
Do you know Anne's date of birth?

Did she stay in Ireland or immigrate?
Do you know any info about Patrick's siblings?
I think one of his siblings also got married in 1884 (if not his sibling, then a close relation - she also came from Glengar)
I do live in Australia.
I look forward to your reply.

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 6:10PM GMT
Hello again,

My name is Silvia. Sorry, I didn’t catch your name? I’d be happy to share what I know about the Sheehy/ Costello family. I’d also like to learn more about who your relatives are…and how they came to emigrate to Australia?

I will try to respond back to all your questions via your e-mail. Hope to hear back from you soon….
per page

Find a board about a specific topic