Search for content in message boards

I have name and dates but cannot locate

I have name and dates but cannot locate

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 11:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gawel
Any help is appreciated, I have had good results for 1 side of my family, but I've started a new journey to my maternal side and it's as is my grandmother did not exist.

Her name is Irene Aurelia Gawel, she was born 10/24/1917 location is unknown but presumed the Buffalo NY area. She died 2/10/1968 in Clarence NY. That is a "sure thing". She was married twice, first to Howard Blim, then to Reed Glidden. She lived at 36 Lake Avenue in Blasdell NY when my mother was born and until shortly after Howard passed some 6 years later.

She was known to have 2 siblings, Joseph and Josephine, both older than her. I have been able to locate some of Josephs information. He died in Yuma Arizona in 1981 and was born in Buffalo NY in 1915. Nobody knows Josephine's married name, just that she moved to California.

My mothers baptism record and birth certificate list Irene's last name as Gawell, but Joseph's records have it as Gawel and my mother and her siblings all believe it was w/ only 1 "l". All of their baby books list Irene's parents as Mickal and Ann Gawel. I cannot find any information on Irene or her parents(my ultimate goal).

It's known that Irene and her siblings were put into an orphanage in the Buffalo NY area sometime after their mother died. According to my mother, she remembers he mother stating it was in Alden, NY. I cannot find any record of an orphanage in Alden, NY. The siblings never lost track of one another, so wherever they were placed they were together. It's believed that after placing the children Mickal moved to PA and remarried. Nobody ever heard of any other children.

I found a Mickal and Aniela Gawel in the 1920's census in the proper area, along w/ information on their separate arrivals through Ellis Island from Russia (it's believed to be that they came through Ellis Island from Russia- so this fits). However, none of the children listed as theirs fit.

I've tried our local online records and family search as well, where else can I try?

Re: I have name and dates but cannot locate

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 1:45PM GMT
Have you tried to find the marriage record for Irene Aurelia Gawel to Howard Blim? This occurred in the mid 1930's? Do you *think* you might know where it occurred?

This is the document you need to find to confirm the parentage found in the family book. It should have the mother's maiden name as well, something you need to continue your search back.

You're not going to find this document on the internet, most documentation still can't be found on the internet.

googling for how to find/obtain a vital record and the State you're researching in, will give you the info how to obtain this document. Every State has it's own set of criteria, some searches can be done state wide, some only by county. It usually requires some investment, but it have enough specific data, you can post on a locale board and see it someone might look it up for you. Have a look at the postings on the local (county) board and see how requests for look-ups are handled. There may be someone that pokes around the court house.

Posted: 3 Sep 2012 9:37PM GMT
Josephine Gawel's married name was Sandy, I think, from California. When I was a child I met (aunt)Josephine, her husband Bob and one of their two children was named Barbara. Joseph Gawel was my dad. Her parents may have been named Stephan (or similar spelling) and Anna Gawel and the orphange I believe was in Lackawanna, NY- our Lady of Victory.

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 4:16AM GMT
Had you ever met Irene's children? That would be my mom and her siblings. My mother is the youngest of the 6.

My mom was still pretty young when Irene died and was raised by her eldest sister. Her other two older sisters (Liz and Sheila) have tried to piece together any information they can remember from their mom (Irene) growing up for me, as they were older when she passed.

Now my mom's sisters insist that their mother stated she took a train to the orphanage. I have looked through most of the census records for the orphanages in Buffalo during that time and have come up empty for any of the 3 kids being there. They all state their mother very clearly told them they were placed together. They assume that she stayed there until she was old enough to leave.

Thank you for replying, researching that ancestry line has proven to be frustrating. There has been very skewed info.

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 6:10PM GMT
Yes - I remember Diane, David, Betty (Liz) and Shiela. I'm afraid I don't recall the other 2 names, one being your mother I expect. A map shows many train tracks within blocks of Our Lady of Victory. Perhaps there was a station nearby back then. My name is Douglas Gawel and I'm sorry I don't have more information for you. The frustration of ancestry research is a major reason why I do not pursue it. Coming across your online posting was just a fluke. Best wishes and good luck.

Posted: 5 Sep 2012 10:13AM GMT
It occurred to me that the name of the orphanage is Father Baker's home which is affiliated withOur Lady of Victory
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions