Obit of Rev. Dr. William L. SCHEDING, Mt. Tabor Lutheran Church
Dr. Scheding, Retired City Pastor, Dies
The Rev. Dr. William L. Scheding, 65, retired pastor of Mt. Tabor Evangelist
[sic] Lutheran Church, died suddenly about 4:30 A.M. today at his home, 430
Douglas st. Dr. Scheding, Lutheran leader, and one of the most widely known
clergymen of Syracuse, was stricken with a heart attack about 3:30 o'clock
this morning. Dr. Herbert C. Yeckel was called and treated him. About an
hour later he suffered another attack and, unable to get in touch with Dr.
Yeckel, his family called Onondaga General Hospital. Dr. Theodore Rosen, when
he arrived at the house, pronounced Dr. Scheding dead.
Dr. Scheding retired last Easter after more than 20 years as pastor of Mt.
Tabor Church. He had an interesting career, serving his first year as a
pastor among the cattle ranches in Western Nebraska, and later he worked among
lumber jacks. He learned to ride "like a cowboy," as he expressed it. In the
1920s he was a Russian Relief Commissioner and worked under former President
Born in Berlin, Dr. Scheding attended Berlin University and came to America in
1906, going first to Capital University at Columbus, O. He transferred soon
afterward to Midland College in Atchison. He was graduated there and also
from Western Seminary.
His first year was as vicar in the cattle ranch area of Western Nebraska where
he learned to ride and to "become a fair cowhand" as he used to recall. In
1908 he accepted a call to Medford, Wis., where he passed many hours in lumber
camps. There he became one of the first Scoutmasters and Scout commissioners
in the country. He also was a school inspector and director. Sometimes he
preached in four churches or missions as pastor among Norwegian, Slovak and
German and English Lutherans.
In Nebraska the post office was named after him and many cowboys and ranchers
and others got their mail at Scheding, Neb.
In 1916 he was called to the wheat farming community of Glasco, Kan., and was
volunteer pastor at Army Camp Funston. He also taught in high school there.
Soon afterward he was appointed western director of the National Lutheran
Council. In 1921 he organized committees, spoke in many cities and
communities throughout the West and raised money for relief work in Russia.
In 1922 he was called abroad and went to Russia as a relief commissioner,
helping to feed several million persons and working for reconstruction. He
traveled extensively throughout Russia and worked also to hold together
thousands of Lutherans in that country. Most of the time he was the only
commissioner of the National Lutheran Council in Russia and bore a heavy
burden amid the hostile attitude of the Soviet government. He served also for
a short time in Germany and returned to America in 1923, broken in health.
After resting a few months he aided in the fund raising campaign of Midland
College, now in Fremont, Neb., as a trustee. In 1924 he went to Mexico and
Yucatan to conduct a survey for colonization. For a brief period he was
pastor at Covington, Ky.
He was called to Mt. Tabor Church in Syracuse in February, 1925. In 1932 a
reception was given to him on his 25th anniversary as a minister. He had
received many honors, including the grand cross of the German Red Cross for
his work among prisoners. Louis Marshall Lodge, B'nai B'rith, presented a
bronze plaque to his recognition of "honor, duty and achievement" and he was
otherwise honored. He had been received at the White House by former
In 1930 in an interview he warned America against the aims of Russia.
His resignation from Mt. Tabor Church, submitted last January, took effect at
Eastertime. He was made pastor emeritus.
Dr. Scheding spoke often at various meetings in Syracuse and was active in
Besides his wife, Mrs. Julia Scheding, he leaves three sons, Win, Paul and
William Scheding, and one daughter, Mrs. Ruth S. Dyer.
Funeral arrangements have not been completed, but the Rev. Viggo Swensen will
officiate at the service, and burial will be in Woodlawn Cemetery. Friends
may call Sunday and Monday from 2 to 5 and from 7 to 9 P. M. at the Frasier
[from an unidentified, undated (1947?) Syracuse, Onondaga County, NY newspaper]