Search for content in message boards

Mary Jane TURNER

Mary Jane TURNER

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 3:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Feb 2013 4:42AM GMT
Surnames: TURNER, SPRING

Dear Listers,

My GGdfather was Thomas Beverly SPRING (T.B. SPRING), Contractor, Vancouver, from abt 1885 to 1895. His bio is in the Vancouver’s Voters 1886 Bio Dictionary and he was a complete bastard by all accounts, fathering 9 children to 3 different women across Canada, USA, the Pacific, and Africa.

Married to his 2nd wife (my GGdmother) when he arrives in BC, by 1891 Thomas separates from her, takes the children and pairs up with a Mary Jane TURNER. The women my Gran always claimed was her mother, until research proved otherwise.

Other than an 1893 Henderson listing where Mary appears as a member of Thomas’s household. She doesn’t seem too have ever existed anywhere on paper at all, either before or after. We were told she was from the UK and that she came to the household with a newborn and we know she went on to give all her 3 children the name TURNER.

Recently I found in Mathews Early Vancouver Vol 12 a story told by a Duncan McDonald about Tom TURNER inheriting his farm in Nth Vancouver from his Uncle, William BRIDGES. Thanks to a will recovered from Seattle or somewhere by a man simply called T. B. SPRING.

After years of research I’m running out of ideas and wondered if someone may have some suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.
Mark, Sydney, Australia

Re: Mary Jane TURNER

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 12:51PM GMT
Edited: 5 Feb 2013 1:05PM GMT
Surnames: Spring
Isaac Thomas Spring death: Any relation?

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/images/getimag...

Isaac's wife death:

name: Mary Jane Spring
event: Death
event date: 25 Dec 1946
event place: Essondale, British Columbia, Canada
marital status: Married
birth date: 11 Jul 1868
birthplace: , Canada
father: Richard Morrow
mother:
spouse: Isaac T Spring
indian band/tribe:
british columbia archives film number: B13192
film number: 2032424
digital folder number: 004437624
image number: 01801
registration number: 013766
======================================================
Thomas Spring

Canada Census, 1891

birth 1851 Ontario
residence 1891 Vancouver City, New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

Beverly Spring

Canada Census, 1891

birth 1887 British Columbia
residence 1891 Vancouver City, New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
=======================================================

1901 census:
name: Mary J Spring
event: Census
event date: 31 Mar 1901
event place: D, New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
racial or tribal origin: Irish
nationality: Canadian
religion: Methodist
relationship to head: Wife
birthplace: Ontario
estimated birth year: 1869
page: 8
household number: 72
Household Gender Age Birthplace
head Isiac C Spring M 33 Ontario
wife Mary J Spring F 32 Ontario
son Clifford I Spring M 13 Ontario
son Albert Gordon Spring M 11 Ontario

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 1:31PM GMT
Surnames: spring

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 11:01PM GMT
Surnames: TURNER SPRING
Hi there and thank you so very, very much!

Have learned to never rule anything out but don’t yet have a place for an Isaac!

Thomas 2nd eldest of 8, 1861 Census, York, Canada West, (b. 1836, ON), Father b. England Mother b. Ireland, have traced entire family to present day. Mary Jane TURNER dies South Africa sometime after Thomas who dies Durban, 1922 but maintains TURNER name, evident by sons 1918 WW1 SA enlistment papers.

1891 BC Census spot on, but remains centre of quandary, Thomas alts identity for a 2nd time, shaving 15 years of his age (b.1851, ON) v 1880 Census, New Tacoma, Pierce, Washington with 1st wife and family, (b. 1837, NY). Thomas with Mary Jane TURNER + 3 kids, depart BC 1895 after purchasing land in Honolulu Nov 1895.

Best Regards
Mark

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 11:03PM GMT
Surnames: TURNER, SPRING, MARTIN, BROWN
Charles Brown DC also spot on, my GGrdmother’s, Agnes SPRING, SPRING, BROWN nee MARTIN 3rd Husband, married BC 1901, she dies BC 1918.

Her life also adds to the confusion, 1st Husband, John T. SPRING (No relation, b. 1844 OH, d. 1883 OR), have traced entire family to present day. She shaves 6 years off her age 1891 BC Census (b. 1853, USA) v 1870 OH Census (b. 1847, OH). Marries Thomas, 1884, OR.

DNA test results available this week between GGGGrdson of 1st wife living California and GGGrdson of 2nd wife living in Durban. Which will eliminate doubts due to identity changes but this will not help with who Mary Jane TURNER was. Thoughts are that TURNER was maybe even her married name, widow with child taken in by Thomas in 1893
per page

Find a board about a specific topic