Search for content in message boards

Centerville and Shady Side Plantation

Centerville and Shady Side Plantation

Posted: 21 Apr 2003 3:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Mar 2012 5:48PM GMT
Surnames: DiRosa
Looking for information on Centerville, LA. And a place called Shady Side Plantation. Researching immigration of people from Sambuca di Sicilia/Zabut. In the years 1892-1899 I have found 52 Sambucians who traveled to Centerville (including my family). The address 38 Centerville and the name Andrea Sciacilutano seem to go hand in hand. Many went to Shady Side Plantation.In 1898 my Grandfather, Giovanni Mule` came to his cousin Andea Sciacilutano at 38 Centerville, and his future wife, Margarita DiRosa, came to be with her father Salvatore DiRosa at the same address.
Looking to talk with anyone working on Sambuca ties or knowledge of Centerville.

Re: Centerville and Shady Side Plantation

Posted: 30 Mar 2004 4:58AM GMT
I have a lil info on Centerville as my mother was born there in 1901, after her family came from Montevago in 1898. I understood that they lived on the Suzy B. plantation. Seemed a Mr. Foster owned much land and divided it among his children as they married. This one belonged to his daughter Suzy.The surnames among mom's family were Giametta, Sparacino, Larocca and Armato.
Centerville is a tiny town as are several in a row. They just seem to flow one from the other.

Posted: 30 Mar 2004 3:12PM GMT
Thank you for the information. My knowledge of LA is very little. Funny how the surnames you listed are very common to Sambuca di Sicilia ( Sambuca Zabut). Thanks

Posted: 8 Oct 2004 2:22AM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2006 1:33PM GMT
Shadyside Plantation is an area about 2 miles East of Centerville along what is now Hwy. 182 (used to be US 90). Sugar cane being grown there now. I am not familiar with most of the family names you mentioned with the exception of Mula'. There is a large family with this surname living in the Morgan City area which is about 15 miles to the East.

Re: SPARACENO

Posted: 19 Feb 2006 8:27PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2012 5:49PM GMT
Surnames: SPARACENO, LORE, LOHR, THOMPSON, BENGERG
Hello:

I found your note re: Centerville and Shady Side Plantation w/mention of the SPARACENO name. Could you tell me anything about this family? Do you know of a Ruth SPARACENO who married someone named LORE (or maybe LOHR)? Ruth was the granddaughter of a Christian & Edna THOMPSON, enumerated w/them in 1930 in New Orleans along w/Joseph (son-in-law to THOMPSON) & Marie (stepdaughter to THOMPSON) SPARACENO.

In talking w/my mother about family, she mentioned Ruth SPARACENO, saying she was somehow related to us through our BENGERT line (my mother was born a BENGERT). However, we don't know who she was or exactly how she was related. If you know any of these names, I'd love to hear back from you.

Thank you.

-- Linda Alexander
http://www.lindajalexander.net

Posted: 1 Feb 2014 8:43AM GMT
My grandfather PEter Amodeomwas born in Centerville La and his parents came from MOntevago. His father was DIonisio Amodeo and his mother was maria ferraro (?). After his death at a young age she married calogero cacioppo. Does anyone find any connections here? We traveled to montevago last year -the town had been completely destroyed by an earthquake. I have amazing photos is anyone would like to see them.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions