Search for content in message boards

Lunsford Family

Lunsford Family

Kay Birkett (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lunsford, Grant, Lathrom
Any information on these families in Granville Co. would be appreciated.

Granville Co, NC

Posted: 4 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Mar 2003 4:02PM GMT
Surnames: Grant, Lunsford
My mom and I are going to Granville County and Wilkes County in a week and I would like to correspond before we go - we are searching for more information on Eve Grant and Elisha Lunsford.

Lunsfords and Grants

Posted: 5 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Both Grants and Lunsford were in Granville Co. Only people with the Lunsford line think Eve was the daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth Tait Grant (do you have any evidence?). I always thought John Lunsford was Elisha's father - why do you think William Lunsford is? I want to accept Daniel as a son to Elisha and Eve but his children have different names than the Lunsfords in my line and in the 1790 census it states that they have two sons and two daughters - I have Isham and Elisha Jr. already born. It would stand to reason that Daniel is their son because I believe Daniel Grant to be Eve's father, but I am still not able to substantiate this. I just received an E-Mail that Eve is buried in Kipoun, Missouri - I cannot find that city - do you know where it is? I am going to Granville County for a long day and then to Wilkes Co. on the 16th of this month - have you got any ideas about where to search?
Thank you your help.
Loretta - Denver, CO

Lunsford, Grant

Kay Birkett (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Grant Lunsford
Daniel Grant is probably the father of Eva Grant. He resided in Grandville Co. N.C. Elisha Lunsford and Eva had a son named Daniel Lunsford who is my ancestor. Daniel Grant was born in VA and his father was Thomas from New Kent Co. VA. Daniel Grant was a stauch methodist and moved to Wilkes Co. GA. His will was extremely interesting. He made provisions for all of his slaves to be freed with land and an education back in 1790's. It's worth getting a copy. It is really very long.
I believe that Elisha's father was William Lunsford. He was also a VA resident.
If you find anything interesting I would love to hear about it. Kay

Lunsfords and Grants

Posted: 8 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Thank you so much for the new information. I have always felt John was Elisha's father because of the proximity of the two through land deals, census, etc. But it could have been William.

Elisha died in 1821 and is buried in Wayne Co., KY - Eve and three of her sons got land warrants in Wayne Co.. but then sold the land in 1828/1829 and moved to Morgan Co., Indiana. They went to Missouri in 1838 and spread out over a few of the counties - the Elisha you must be referencing is probably Elisha Jr. - Eve is listed in 1840 with children in the census - in 1850 living with son, Israel and raising Grandson, Rufus Lee, after her daughter and her husband had died. In 1855, her son, James, writes to the government and says she had died. So she died between 1850 and 1855, but I have not been able to find her grave (it should be between Stoddard, Madison, St. Genevieve, Cape Girardeau, and Crawford counties.

All Grant lines do not list Eve as a child of Daniel and Elizabeth Tait Grant. All people doing the Lunsford line have always known she was his daughter. I am hoping to find proof.

Thank you in advance for anything more that you might find. We are coming to Granville County next week. When we fly into Knoxville - which Interstate highway would be the quickest?
(through NC or up into Virginia and then down).

Thanks again.
Loretta

Lunsford, Grants

Kay Birkett (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: lunsford, grant
William Lunsford of Grandville Co. is listed with Elisha many times in property records. I don't remember why I indicated that he was Elisha father but it had something to do with the property records in GRandville. I have John as William's father. I actually had proof that Eva was Daniel Grant's daughter. Some record I found stated that Eva Lunsford daughter of Daniel Grant etc etc. To this day I can't find it in my files (17 years worth of paper). I found Eva Lunsford living in Stoddard Co. Missouri in the 1850 census. She was stilling living and Elisha had moved to Missouri sometime during this time frame. Daniel Lunsford also moved to Missouri with the Lathrom family group and is living in Wright Co. Missouri.
I would start with deeds and property records. I don't think you will find much as far as wills are concerned but that's another place you can look. I will go through my files and see what I can turn up. Just give me until the weekend.

Elisha Lunsford

Posted: 22 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2003 11:57PM GMT
Surnames: Lathrom, Lathram, Lunsford, Pennington
Hi Loretta and Kay

Kay, I still don't think I have seen proof of Daniel being a son of Elisha. I wish I had more access to the Granville records here. There was an Elisha Lunsford who bought land in Wright Co. MO and he is buried in a Lunsford Cemetery northwest of Hartville.

I think this is Elisha, Jr. because the note about him in in the 1850 census records on the Wright Co. web site says that he was 48, born in NC, and his youngest daughter was named Eve. There was a note about him being in the 1840 census of St. Francois Co MO in 1840 census records, but I had some indication somewhere that this was a different Elisha.

Loretta, it is good to contact someone else doing Lunsford research. Kay is a double cousin of some degree to my wife, Lathrom brothers having married two of Daniel Lunsford's daughters.

I am also trying to figure out my Pennington family that seemed to range from Granville, Co. NC to Patrick Co. VA.

Ted

william lunsford

kimberly baugh woodward (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: lunsford
hi, kay,is the william you are talking about born around 1738? did he have a son named nimrod? if this is any relation,please let me know. thanks,kim

Lunsford, Nancy D

Taraleen Elliott (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lunsford, Yokely, Oakley
I am looking for information on Nancy D. Lunsford, born Nov. 30, 1791 married to Marcus D. Yokely (may be Oakley) born Mar 13, 1786 in Granville County, NC. Does anyone have information on Nancy?

Lunsford Grandville N.C.

kay Birkett (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lunsford
I have not seen a Nancy Lunsford connected with my Lunsford family in Grandville Co. N.C. but I will continue to look. If I run across anything I will let you know. Kay
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions