Search for content in message boards

Connecting a spouse under under "Relationship Events" and "Facts & Events" and "Facts & Events"

Connecting a spouse under under "Relationship Events" and "Facts & Events" and "Facts & Events"

Posted: 5 Aug 2010 7:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a question regarding how spouses are connected under "Relationship Events" and "Facts & Events". When accepting hints regarding marriages, ancestry.com sometimes attaches the spouse, and sometimes it does not.

Here is an example of a individual whose spouse was not connected. This is the info shown under under "Relationship Events" in the edit screen under the persons name:

http://i33.tinypic.com/1znoegk.jpg

as you can see it lists the spouse as unknown.

Looking at the same info under the "Facts & Sources" tab does not show the spouse; however, it show the source citations:

http://i36.tinypic.com/ws0awx.jpg

Here are two examples of the marriage info for two different people, one where the spouses are connected, and one where they are not:

http://i37.tinypic.com/312wx2h.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to connect an unattached spouse? If I add a new marriage event, I can't attach the existing sources to the new event?!? I'm stumped. Thanks for any help.

P.S. I've attached all of the example photos to the post as well as links within the message.
Attachments:

Re: Connecting a spouse under under "Relationship Events" and "Facts & Events" and "Facts & Events"

Posted: 5 Aug 2010 9:05PM GMT
Eric, I've found one trick is to never let the hint create the event. If I see a hint that pertains to a person in my tree then I manually add that event to the person's timeline and then click "Search Historical Documents" and let it re-find the hints and then click on them and it adds them as just sources to the events I've created in the timeline.

This is particularly true of marriages!

Re: Connecting a spouse under under "Relationship Events" and "Facts & Events" and "Facts & Events"

Posted: 5 Aug 2010 10:08PM GMT
I've found that the most reliable way to get marriages to work properly with the right person and the source is to add the marriage via Relationship Events and then attach the historical document. Adding the new spouse before adding the event keeps things straight.

Posted: 6 Aug 2010 1:54PM GMT
Thanks guys, for the info. I understand now.

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 5:06PM GMT
I found someone else posted instructions for fixing this 'after the fact'. Here is a link http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.ancestry.ancsite/10936.1/m...
and in case the link does not work here are the instructions:
For the person the Citation attached to, click on "edit person" link in the large box. Click on "Relationship Events" tab. At the far right across from "Marriage to Unknown" click on the tiny icon next to the gray "more options" button.

This will show you a drop-down below the listing for the marrige; click on the underlined link. This takes you to a barely useful Source Citation page -- at right is the option to edit or delete. Click to "edit". On the edit page you can fill in the empty boxes if you wish, but scroll all the way down to the listing of what the citation is attached to. If you click the tiny arrow you get a drop-down list of all Timeline Events for the person -- here you can switch the source-citation from Marriage To Unknown to the "Marriage To XY" event that you created without having to manually enter the source citation.

Click to save, and you can return to the person's Overview page. You can now delete the "Marriage To Unknown" event without disturbing the source-citation. You do this by clicking on the title of this event, then scrolling down to where the Delete link is next to a trashcan.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions