Search for content in message boards

Margaret Richardson b. 1841, Timothy Cooney, Galway

Margaret Richardson b. 1841, Timothy Cooney, Galway

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 4:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Richardson, Cooney
They had several children, one born in Gort, Galway. Parents died early and the children emigrated to Chicago as teens. Need any info on either parent. Thanks.

Re: Margaret Richardson b. 1841, Timothy Cooney, Galway

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 4:10PM GMT
Griffith Valuation 1856 shows no Timothy Cooney in 1856 so he was probably too young to have his own rented land.

There is however:

Thomas Cooney, Parish of Kilbeacanty, Townland of Gortacarnaun, Poor Law Union of Gort, tenant of James Kelly

#2 house, outbuilding and land 41. acres 3 roods 11 perches

#3 1/5 share of bog land 10.1.32

There maybe other Cooney's in the PLU of Gort, but in other Parish's. The Union would of covered about a 12 mi. radius and would have any parish's, town/villages and townlands.

Looking for Kilbeacant Parish came across

There were only 2 Richardson, one wealthy in land.

Kilbeacanty & Peterswell Parish in the Diocese of Galway,
Kilmacdugh & Kilfenora. The church there is St. Columba

www.galwaydiocese.ie

also:

www.ireland.xo.com/group/Kilbeacanty

You also lucky that Kilmacduagh records start in 1853 with marriages only, so you should be able to find a marriage
in the 60's. Birth records don't seem to exist but
by this time they would be showing up in the Civil Registration records (1864+) both on an Irish History Foundation not for profit but fee paying
or free
www.familysearch.org

Children were often taken up by relatives or put in the Workhouse or working in church facilities then orphans were often then shipped off to the colonies for cheap labour. They may have been lucky and sent to relatives in the US.

Timothy Cooney died Jan-March 1893 age 28 estimate year of birth at 1865 *Newcastle, Galway.

Total speculation: Perhaps this is the oldest son? took care of the children till he died and then the other's went to America, it would depend on the date they arrived in the US.

Margaret Cooney died Jan-March 1873 Galway, age 42, estimate year of birth as 1831 based on age given at death

There are Cooney's in the Galway telephone book, 1 from Gort and Richardson's as well, 1 in Newcastle* addresses given are sufficient for mail delivery.

If they were still in Ireland by 1901/11 you should be able to find them in the census:

www.census.nationalibrary.ie

Without names I can't help you in that search.

Annette Code

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 6:37PM GMT
Surnames: Cooney, Richardson
Oh my gosh, you've given me quite a list of possibilities, and I have visited Kilbeacanty online, heard Mae someone singing an Irish folksong, which includes refs. to "Michael Cooney" so I left a query on the website. Busy!

The other children of Timothy b 1840s, were John Richardson, Margaret, Jane, Timothy and Patrick. Death records are in the USA and have found them, listing parents Timothy Cooney and Margaret Richardson in Galway. I did find that son Timothy went to Canada and died there.

But still no trace of the parents after baptisms of the children! Any ideas further?
AND THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 9:35PM GMT
Hello tiswell,

I’m not a descendant and did not find baptism records for Timothy Cooney and Margaret Richardson, but did uncover the baptism indexes for nine of their children at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for County Cork (North & East).

The names of these children and their years of baptism are: John (1851); Michael (1853); Margaret (1855); Timothy (1857); Jeremiah (1858); Catherine (1860); John (1862); Timothy (1864); and Margaret (1866).

The baptisms of two children named John and two named Timothy means that the first-born John and Timothy had died young.

All of the children were baptized in the Inniscarra Roman Catholic Church, County Cork.

I didn’t find birth or baptism indexes for any children of Timothy and Margaret recorded in Gort, Galway.

The IFHF homepage can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Before accessing indexes at the IFHF you’ll first have to register. Registration is free. You’ll also be able to access the baptism indexes for the Cooney children that I did for free, but you will be charged to obtain the baptism transcriptions. You’ll have to purchase credits with a credit card to obtain the transcriptions. The IFHF website will have more information about purchasing credits for baptism, as well as birth, marriage, and death or burial transcriptions.

The baptism indexes for the nine Cooney children follow:

1 match for the search criteria: Cooney (plus variants) John 1851 Parish: INNISCARRA (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Cork (North & East)
Surname: Cooney
First Name: John
Father's Surname: Cooney
Father's First Name: Timothy
Mother's Surname: Richardson
Mother's First Name: Margaret

Year: 1851

Parish/District: INNISCARRA (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Cooney (plus variants) Michael 1853 Parish: INNISCARRA (RC)

First Name: Michael

Year: 1853

____

1 match for the search criteria: Cooney (plus variants) Margaret 1855 Parish: INNISCARRA (RC)

First Name: Margaret

Year: 1855

____

1 match for the search criteria: Cooney (plus variants) Timothy 1857 Parish: INNISCARRA (RC)

First Name: Timothy

Year: 1857

____

1 match for the search criteria: Cooney (plus variants) Jeremiah 1858 Parish: INNISCARRA (RC)

First Name: Jeremiah

Year: 1858

____

1 match for the search criteria: Cooney (plus variants) Catherine 1860 Parish: INNISCARRA (RC)

First Name: Catherine

Year: 1860

____

1 match for the search criteria: Cooney (plus variants) John 1862 Parish: INNISCARRA (RC)

Year: 1862

____

1 match for the search criteria: Cooney (plus variants) Timothy 1864 Parish: INNISCARRA (RC)

Year: 1864

____

1 match for the search criteria: Cooney (plus variants) Margaret 1866 Parish: INNISCARRA (RC)

Year: 1866

____

To view a Catholic parish map for a portion of County Cork, go to the Irish Times website link at:
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/co...

Toward the lower right of the map you’ll see where the Catholic parish of Inniscarra is located. Timothy, Margaret, and their children may have lived in Inniscarra, or may have lived in the one of the surrounding towns. One of the baptism transcriptions may tell you where the family had been living.

Inniscarra is just to the north of Ballincollig. To read a description of Inniscarra from the 1838 edition of Lewis’s Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, go to the Library Ireland website link at the following address:
http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/I/Inniscarra-Barretts-Co...

To see Inniscarra on a Google Map of County Cork, go to: http://tinyurl.com/b8tk4wl

Next I looked for Timothy Cooney’s baptism in Inniscarra at the IFHF, but did find it. I searched for his baptism for the 1820s and 1830s. I also looked for the baptism index for Margaret Richardson and found a possibility.

I actually located two baptism indexes for Margaret Richardsons. The first-born Margaret however, died young, and her parents named another daughter after her, as you will see shortly.

The first-born Margaret was baptized in 1829, while the second-born daughter was baptized in 1830. I guessed that the first names of their father and mother were Timothy and Mary, which the IFHF search engine accepted in both cases.

The two baptism indexes follow, without Mary’s maiden name:

1 match for the search criteria: Richardson (plus variants) Margaret 1829 Parish: INNISCARRA (RC)

Surname: Richardson
Father's Surname: Richardson
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name: Mary

Year: 1829

____

1 match for the search criteria: Richardson (plus variants) Margaret 1830 Parish: INNISCARRA (RC)

Mother's Surname:

Year: 1830

____

Next I wanted to see if I could find out what Mary’s maiden name was through further research. To do this I went to the aforementioned Irish Times website for County Cork, to see which were the more common names in the Civil Parish of Inniscarra and surrounding parishes, as recorded in an Irish property tax record known as Griffiths Valuation. Griffiths Valuation was enumerated in the 32 counties of Ireland between 1847 and 1864. Griffiths Valuation was conducted in Inniscara area between 1851-1853.

The Irish times website shows the most common surnames in the “Inishcarra” Civil parish in Griffiths Valuation for 1851-1853:

Most common surnames in Inishcarra in 1851-3

Surname Households

Murphy 30
Sullivan 21
Mahony 20
Walsh 19
McCarthy 16
Keeffe 15
Healy 14
Callaghan 13
Herlihy 12
Mullane 12
____

Next I took each of the 10 names above and went back to the IFHF index for Margaret Richardson, to see if the search engine accepted any of the names as Mary’s maiden name. The search engine rejected each of the names.

I then accessed the most common surnames in one of the parishes near Inishcarra. This is the Civil Parish of Carrigrohanebeg. Below are the 10 most common surnames in Carrigrohanebeg, as found in Griffiths Valuation, from the Irish Times website link:

Most common surnames in Carrigrohanebeg in 1851-3

Surname Households

Sullivan 7
Murphy 6
Connell 5
Barrett 4
Cross 4
Mahony 3
Buckley 2
Byrne 2
Seward 2
Ahern 1
____

Once again I went back to the IFHF index for Margaret Richardson, to see if the search engine accepted any of the names above s Mary’s maiden name. I had success in that the search engine accepted Connell, as Mary’s maiden name.

The revised baptism indexes for both Margaret Richardsons are below, showing that the parents of both children were Timothy Richardson and Mary Connell:

1 match for the search criteria: Richardson (plus variants) Margaret 1829 Parish: INNISCARRA (RC)

Mother's Surname: Connell

Year: 1829

____

1 match for the search criteria: Richardson (plus variants) Margaret 1830 Parish: INNISCARRA (RC)

Mother's Surname: Connell

Year: 1830

____

CATHERINE COONEY AND TERENCE SHEELY

Concerning Catherine Cooney and Terence Sheely, I had looked for their Chicago, Illinois marriage index at the LDS website but didn’t find it listed under the names Cooney and Sheely. The 1900 census for Terence and Catherine show they were married for 11 years. The census was enumerated on June 12, 1900. However, if they had been married in a month after June, they would have actually been married for 12 years in 1900.

I redoubled the search for their marriage at the LDS website and found a possibility. This marriage index and copy of the marriage license shows that a Terrence “Shields” and a Catherine Cooney were married in Chicago on 30 October 1888. At the time of marriage Terence was 24 and Catherine 26. The person who recorded their marriage for Cook County, I believe, spelled Terence’s last name incorrectly, or heard his name pronounced as Shields, rather than Sheely.

Their month and year of marriage (October 1888), shows they would have been married for 12 years in 1900.

The LDS marriage index follows:

Catherine Cooney, "Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920"

groom: Terrence Shields

groom's age: 24
groom's estimated birth year: 1864
groom's birth date: 1864
groom's birthplace:

bride: Catherine Cooney

bride's age: 26
bride's estimated birth year: 1862
bride's birth date: 1862
bride's birthplace:

marriage type: Marriage
marriage date: 30 Oct 1888
marriage place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois

groom's father:
groom's mother:

bride's father:
bride's mother:

groom's marital status:
groom's previous wife:
bride's marital status:
bride's previous husband:

additional relatives:
frame number:
digital film number: 4271102
image number: 301
reference number: 132895

film number: 1030177

Collection: Catherine Cooney, "Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N7DK-RX7

Citing this Record
"Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N7DK-RX7 : accessed 09 Dec 2012), Terrence Shields and Catherine Cooney, 30 Oct 1888.
____

A copy of the original marriage license for Terence and Catherine can be found at:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11880-66505-93?...

The marriage license shows that Michael and Catherine were married in St. Patrick’s Church by the Rev. P.J. Hickey.

I suspect, but can’t prove just from the license by itself, that this marriage refers to your Terence Sheely and Catherine Cooney.

POSSIBILITIES FOR TERENCE SHEELY

Information found at your Family Trees at Ancestry.com shows that your Terence Sheely was born in May of 1874. This comes from the 1900 census which shows that Terence was 36 years old. The census enumerator did not record the correct birth year for Terence. If Terence had been 36 years old in 1900, he would have been born circa 1864. His age is off by 10 years in the census, though his birth date may be correct. In any event, if Terence and Catherine Cooney had been married in 1889, Terence would only have been 15 years old if he had been born in 1874.

I found what may be your Terence “Sheally” in a birth index at Ancestry.com’s “Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911.”

This index shows his birth was recorded in Clogheen, Tipperary on 26 May 1864. His parents are John Sheally and Margaret McGraith:

Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911

Name Birth Date Birth Place Parents' Names

Terence Sheally 26 May 1864 Clogheen, Tipperary, Ireland John Sheally, Margaret Mccraith

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911 [database on-line]. Provo, UT: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.

Original data: Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620–1911. Index. Salt Lake City, Utah: Family Search.
____

The 1900 census gives Terence’s birth month as May, but in 1874. Again, his year of birth in the census would off by 10 years if he had been 36 years old at the time.

I uncovered Terence’s civil birth index at the IFHF website for Tipperary South, showing his birth recorded in Clogheen, Tipperary South, in 1864. The search engine accepted John Sheely and Margaret McGrath as his parents.

1 match for the search criteria: Sheely (plus variants) Terence 1864 Parish: CLOGHEEN (CP)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Tipperary (South)
Surname: Sheely
First Name: Terence
Father's Surname: Sheely
Father's First Name: John
Mother's Surname: McGrath

Parish/District: CLOGHEEN (CP)
____

I also located the birth and or baptism indexes for five more children of John Sheely and Margaret McGrath in Waterford and Tipperary. These children are: Ellen (1859); Catherine (1862); Denis (1866); John (1868); and Julia (1871). Ellen, Catherine, and John were baptized in the Ballyporeen Catholic Church, County Waterford. Though Ballyporeen is in County Tipperary, the Catholic parish by this name would have crossed over into North Waterford.

Denis, Julia, as well as Terence, had their births recorded in Clogheen, Tipperary South. These are civil birth indexes, rather than baptism indexes.

In the indexes below I’ve included the civil birth for Terence again so that you can see the full chronology of the baptisms or the births, as the case may be:

1 match for the search criteria: Sheely (plus variants) Ellen 1859 Parish: BALLYPOREEN (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Waterford
First Name: Ellen

Year: 1859

Parish/District: BALLYPOREEN (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheely (plus variants) Catherine 1862 Parish: BALLYPOREEN (RC)

Year: 1862

____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheely (plus variants) Terence 1864 Parish: CLOGHEEN (CP)

First Name: Terence

____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheely (plus variants) Denis 1866 Parish: CLOGHEEN (CP)

First Name: Denis

____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheely (plus variants) John 1868 Parish: BALLYPOREEN (RC)

Year: 1868

____

1 match for the search criteria: Sheely (plus variants) Julia 1871 Parish: CLOGHEEN (CP)

First Name: Julia

Year: 1871

____

To view a modern Google Map of Clogheen, Tipperary, go to: http://tinyurl.com/a5clpjy.

Once at the map, go to the Zoom-in/Zoom-out gage in the upper left of the page. Zoom-in on the map so as to delineate the landmarks (roads, post office, church, etc.) of the town. Do not zoom-in too far however. On the map you’ll see the letter A pointing to Clogheen. To the lower left of the A you’ll see where St. Mary’s Church, the courthouse, and the fire station are situated. Next, left click on the letter A to generate a “Street view” thumbnail photo of the town. Click on the photo to enlarge it, and you’ll be able to navigate your way through Clogheen, including to St. Mary’s Catholic Church on Barrack’s Hill. This is where Terence, Denis, and Julia Sheely may have been baptized.

Next, go back to the full view of the map for Clogheen. Off the map, in the upper left margin of the page, you’ll see prompts highlighted in blue for “Directions, Search nearby, more.” Click on the word Directions. Next, a drop-down box labeled A will appear. In this box type in Ballyporeen, Tipperary, and then click on, “Get Directions.” Another map will appear showing that Clogheen, at letter B, is 7.3 km from Ballyporeen, at letter A. Zoom-out on the map a little to get a better picture of the route from Clogheen to Ballyporeen. Next, left-click on the letter A to generate a Street view thumbnail photo of Ballyporeen. Click on the photo and you’ll land on South Main Street. Head down South Main just a little way, and you’ll come to a road on your right. This is Burncourt Street. Go right on Burncourt. Keep heading down Burncourt until you come to a church on your left. This is St. Mary’s Catholic Church and graveyard. This may be the church were Ellen, Catherine, and John Sheely were baptized.

THE MICHAEL COONEY AND ELLEN HALLEY LINE

I found two church marriage indexes for Michael Cooney and Ellen Halley at the IFHF website. They were married in the Ardfinnan Catholic parish, County Tipperary, in 1841. This parish spans the boundaries of South Tipperary and North Waterford, hence the two marriage indexes.

The first index below is for Tipperary (South). The IFHF search engine did not accept the spelling “Ellen” as the first name of Michael’s wife. But, the search engine accepted the alternate spelling of Elen for her first name:

1 match for the search criteria: Cooney (plus variants) Michael 1841 Parish: ARDFINNAN PARISH (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Tipperary (South)
Spouse's Surname: Halley
Spouse's First Name: Elen
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1841

Parish/District: Parish: ARDFINNAN PARISH (RC)
____

Next is the marriage index for Michael and Ellen recorded in the Ardfinnan Catholic Parish, County Waterford. In this case the IFHF search engine accepted the spelling of Ellen:

1 match for the search criteria: Cooney (plus variants) Michael 1841 Parish: ARDFINNAN (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Waterford
Spouse's Surname: Halley
Spouse's First Name: Ellen
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1841

Parish/District: Parish: ARDFINNAN PARISH (RC)
____

I then found the baptism indexes for two children of Michael Cooney and Ellen Halley. These are for Timothy (1845), and John (1848). Both baptisms took place in the Ballylooby Catholic Parish. This parish also crosses the boundaries of Tipperary and Waterford.

There are actually two baptism indexes for Timothy, one recorded in Ballylooby, South Tipperary, and one in Ballylooby, Waterford. I could only locate one baptism index for John. This index is for Ballylooby Waterford:

1 match for the search criteria: Cooney (plus variants) Timothy 1845 Parish: BALLYLOOBY PARISH (RC)

Father's First Name: Michael
Mother's Surname: Halley
Mother's First Name: Ellen

Year: 1845

Parish/District: BALLYLOOBY PARISH (RC)

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Cooney (plus variants) Timothy 1845 Parish: BALLYLOOBY (RC)

____

1 match for the search criteria: Cooney (plus variants) John 1848 Parish: BALLYLOOBY (RC)

Year: 1848

____

KATHLEEN KINANE

You already have many of the records that I found concerning Kathleen Kinane and her family, but I’ve included some of them below for ease of reference, and also because many of the records you’ll see are from a combination of the LDS and Ancestry.com websites.

For example your Kathleen Kinane is in the 1910 census (from Ancestry.com) living with her parents and sister Margaret, in an address that appears to be South Francisco Street, Chicago. This census was taken on April 15, 1910. Kathleen’s age in the census is listed as 0/12, which means she wasn’t even a month old when the census taker came by the home. She was born in Illinois.

Kathleen’s father is 26 year old Daniel C. Kinane, a postal clerk who was born in Ireland. The census shows that Daniel owned his home, which was free of a mortgage. The census shows that he and his 25 year old Hannah, had been married two years as of 1910. Hannah by 1910 had two children, both still living. Like Daniel, she too was born in Ireland. Daniel and Hannah’s oldest child is 1 year old Margaret, born in Illinois

A transcription of the 1910 census follows:

THIRTEENTH CENSUS OF THE UNITED STATE: 1910-Population

Township Or Other Division Of County: Tract E. Name of Incorporated Place: City of Chicago

Enumerated By Me On The 15th Day Of April, 1910. Joss McDonnell, Enumerator

Street Address: So. Francisco St.

Name Relation, Personal Description, Nativity, Parents’ Nativity, Citizenship, Occupation, Industry, Home Ownership

Daniel C Kinane, Head, Male, White, 26, Married 2 years, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Immigrated 1899, U.S. Citizen, Postal Clerk, Post Office, Home Owned Free of Mortgage
Hannah M Kinane, Wife, Female, White, 25, Married 2 Years, 2 children, 2 children living, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Immigrated 1899, No Occupation
Margaret M Kinane, Female, White, 1, Single, Illinois, Ireland, Ireland
Kathleen Kinane, Female, White, 0/12, Single, Illinois, Ireland, Ireland

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Chicago Ward 5, Cook, Illinois; Roll: T624_245; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 0293; ; FHL microfilm: 1374258.
____

I found the LDS marriage index for Daniel C. Kinane, and Margaret M., showing that Margaret’s maiden name was Kelly. The marriage index was discovered at the Latter Day Saints (LDS) website at: www.familysearch.org

You found the marriage index for Daniel and Margaret at Ancestry.com, but the LDS index will lead to another record you’ll see shortly.

The index follows:

Daniel C Kinane, "Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920"

groom: Daniel C Kinane

groom's age: 25
groom's estimated birth year: 1883
groom's birth date: 1883
groom's birthplace:

bride: Hannah M. Kelly

bride's age: 22
bride's estimated birth year: 1886
bride's birth date: 1886
bride's birthplace:

marriage date: 29 Apr 1908

groom's father:
groom's mother:

bride's father:
bride's mother:

groom's marital status:
groom's previous wife:
bride's marital status:

frame number:
digital film number: 4270947
image number: 510
reference number: 481665

film number: 1030439

Collection: Daniel C Kinane, "Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N7HN-PLZ

Citing this Record
"Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N7HN-PLZ : accessed 07 Dec 2012), Daniel C Kinane and Hannah M. Kelly, 29 Apr 1908.
____

You can view a copy of the original marriage license for Daniel and Hannah at the following LDS link:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11061-180970-22...

This record shows the couple obtained a marriage license in Cook County on 27April 1908, and were married in St. Agatha’s Church by the Rev. M. Bonfield on 28 April 1908. I’m not sure if you have their marriage license.

To read more about St. Agatha’s, go to the Church website at: http://www.st-agatha-chicago.org/

Next, I found Daniel Kinane’s death index at the LDS website. You found his death index at Ancestry.com.

The LDS index shows that Daniel died in Oak Park, Cook County, Illinois, on 26 September 1939, and was buried in Mt. Carmel Cemetery, Proviso Township, on 29 September 1939. At the time of his death he was married. His occupation was postal worker, which is the occupation he had according to the 1900 census. His wife’s name is listed as Hannah Kinnane. The index also gives the name of his father as Michael Kinane. Only his mother’s last name is given. This is “Bennings.” Bennings may have been the name given in error to the clerk who recorded the death by the informant, or the clerk may have heard the name incorrectly. Or, the person who transcribed the death index for the LDS perhaps did not decipher the last name properly and wrote Bennings, rather than Cummins.

The index is below:

Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947

Name: Daniel Kinane
Birth Date: 6 May 1883
Birth Place: Ireland

Death Date: 26 Sep 1939
Death Place: Oak Park, Cook, Illinois

Burial Date: 29 Sep 1939
Burial Place: Proviso Township, Cook, Illinois

Cemetery Name: Mt Carmel
Death Age: 56

Race: White
Marital Status: M

Residence: Chicago, Cook, Ill.

Father Name: Michael Kinane
Father Birth Place: Ireland

Mother Name: None Bennings
Mother Birth Place: Ireland

Spouse Name: Hannah Kinane

FHL Film Number: 1432188 = Death certificates for the state of Illinois, 1916-1945

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.

Original data:
"Illinois Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916–1947." Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2010. Index entries derived from digital copies of original records.
____

A copy of Daniel Kinane’s death record can be found in LDS microfilm number 1432188. The film can be ordered from your nearest Family History Center. If you order the film, see how Daniel’s mother’s maiden name is spelled on the copy of the original death certificate.

In the 1910 census Daniel is 26 years old, placing his year of birth circa 1884. Next I accessed Ancestry.com’s “Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911,” to see if I could find Daniel Kinnane/Kinane, and perhaps any older or younger siblings in the indexes, and to also see if the indexes gave the names of the parents.

I didn’t find Daniel, but did locate the births of four Kinane children in Tipperary whose parents were Michael Kinane and Hanora Cummins. These are the names you have for Michael’s parents at your Family Tree at Ancestry.com. The children include Mary, whose birth was recorded in Tipperary on 20 Aug 1876; Catherine, whose birth was recorded on 17 April 1878, in Moor Abbey Tipperary; Patrick, whose birth was recorded on 16 November 1879 in Bansha, Tipperary; and John, whose birth was recorded in Moor Abbey, Tipperary on 6 December 1880.

These Ancestry.com birth indexes follow:

Mary Kinane 20 Aug 1876 Tipperary, Ireland Michael Kinane, Hanora Kinane Cummins

Catherine Kinnane 17 Apr 1878 Moor-abbey, Tipperary, Ireland Michael Kinnane, Hanora Kinnane Cummins

Patrick Kinnane 16 Nov 1879 Bansha, Tipperary, Tipperary, Ireland Michael Kinnane, Hanora Cummins

John Kinnane 6 Dec 1880 Moor Abbey, Tipperary, Ireland Michael F. Kinnane, Hanora Kinnane Cummins

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911 [database on-line]. Provo, UT: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.

Original data: Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620–1911. Index. Salt Lake City, Utah: Family Search.
____

I then found the IFHF civil birth index for Daniel, as well as for the above named Mary, Catherine (actually two Catherines), Patrick, and John Kinane, plus an older brother named William. All the births were recorded in the Bansha, Tipperary Civil Parish. Daniel is also the youngest of the children, though it’s possible that Michael and Hanora had more children whose births or baptisms haven’t been indexed yet by the IFHF, or whose births or baptisms I failed to locate.

There are two birth indexes for a Catherine Kinane because the first-born Catherine (1878) would have died young. The parents then named the daughter born in 1882 after her.

The birth indexes follow in chronological order:

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) William 1874 Parish: BANSHA (CP)

Surname: Kinane
First Name: William
Father's Surname: Kinane
Mother's Surname: Cummins
Mother's First Name: Hanora

Year: 1874

Parish/District: BANSHA (CP)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) Mary 1876 Parish: BANSHA (CP)

First Name: Mary

Year: 1876

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) Catherine 1878 Parish: BANSHA (CP)

Year: 1878

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) Patrick 1879 Parish: BANSHA (CP)

First Name: Patrick

Year: 1879

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) John 1880 Parish: BANSHA (CP)

Year: 1880

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) Catherine 1882 Parish: BANSHA (CP)

Year: 1882

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) Daniel 1883 Parish: BANSHA (CP)

First Name: Daniel

Year: 1883

____

The Ancestry.com indexes had shown that Catherine and John Kinane were born in Moor Abbey, which is the location of a very old Franciscan friary near the town of Galbally, on the border with County Limerick. To see where the abbey is situated in relationship to Bansha, go to the following travelmania link:
http://www.travelmania-ireland.com/place.php?id=303

The location of Moor(e) Abbey is highlighted by the red banner pointing to it. Bansha is to the right of the banner. Click on the banners for Moor Abbey and Bansha and you’ll get drop-down boxes giving more information about each place. Next, scroll down to the bottom of the map page for additional information about Moor Abbey.

In the upper left-hand corner of the map you’ll see a little yellow peg-man. Drag the peg-man to the red banner where the abbey is, then let go of the mouse, and you’ll be able to take a virtual tour down the narrow roads of this section of Tipperary on the border with east County Limerick.

More information and a postcard view of the abbey can be found at the Ask About Ireland website link at:
http://tinyurl.com/ce3cbva

I also found the marriage index for Michael Kinane and Hanora Cummins. The index shows their marriage recorded in the Tipperary Civil Parish in 1872. Civil marriage in Ireland and England for this time period traditionally include the names of the fathers of the groom and bride, but not the names of the mothers. But, the IFHF marriage index does not provide the names of the fathers automatically in a civil marriage index. Information you have about Michael Kinane at Ancestry.com’ Family Trees, has Dan Kinane as his father. But, the IFHF search engine did not accept Dan or Daniel as Michael’s father, and so I had to guess at to the first name of Michael’s father. The IFHF search engine accepted Patrick:

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) Michael 1872 Parish: TIPPERARY (CP)

Spouse's Surname: Cummins
Spouse's First Name: Hanora
Father's First Name: Patrick
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1872

Parish/District: Parish: TIPPERARY (CP)
____

Next, with Hanora Cummins as the primary marriage partner in the index, I wanted to see if the search engine accepted William as her father, as noted in your Family Tree, but it didn’t. I then guessed that her father’s first name was John, which was accepted by the IFHF search engine:

1 match for the search criteria: Cummins (plus variants) Hanora 1872 Parish: TIPPERARY (CP)

Surname: Cummins
First Name: Hanora
Spouse's Surname: Kinane
Spouse's First Name: Michael
Father's Surname: Cummins
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: TIPPERARY (CP)
____

Your Family Tree at Ancestry.com has Dan Kinane and Alice Flynn for Michael’s parents, while the marriage index above for him shows his father’s first name was Patrick. In addition, another Family Tree entry has William Cummins and Ellen Gibbs for Hanora’s parents, while the IFHF index above notes that her father was John, rather than William. These are two of the very few discrepancies I found between the records you have for Michael and Hanora and the records uncovered at the IFHF website for them.

Next I located a baptism index for a Michael Kinane at the IFHF website for County Limerick. The index shows he was baptized in the Manister, Limerick Catholic Church in 1851. The IFHF search engine accepted Patrick as his father. I had to guess as to what his mother’s first name would be. The search engine accepted Elizabeth:

1 match for the search criteria: Landers (plus variants) Ellen 1843-1853 Parish: GALBALLY & AHERLOW (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Limerick
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name: Elizabeth

Parish/District: MANISTER (RC)
____

If you order the baptism transcription from the IFHF you’ll learn the maiden name of Michael’s mother. But, I wanted to see if I could uncover her maiden name through additional research. Before doing this however, I took a guess as to what her maiden name could be, based on names for my own Limerick ancestors. These names are Quinn, Meany and McNamara.

As luck would have it, and to my surprise, the IFHF search engine accepted McNamara as Elizabeth’s maiden name:

1 match for the search criteria: Landers (plus variants) Ellen 1843-1853 Parish: GALBALLY & AHERLOW (RC)

Mother's Surname: McNamara

____

I can’t be 100 percent sure the above index refers to the baptism of the Michael Kinane in your direct line.

To see a Catholic Parish map of East Limerick, go to the Irish Times website link at:
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/li...

On the map Limerick City is located in the upper left portion. Going south from Limerick City, you’ll come to the Catholic Parishes of Mungret, Cahirnorry, Lurriga, and Fedamore. The Manister Parish is just below Lurriga and Fedamore. My ancestors came from the Fedamore and Ballybricken parishes.

Next, I looked for, but didn’t find an IFHF marriage index for Patrick Kinane and Elizabeth McNamara. But I did find the baptism indexes for three more of their children. These are for Elizabeth (1850); Corenelius (1854); and a second son named Cornelius (1858). Elizabeth and the first-born Cornelius were baptized in the Manister Catholic Church. The second-born Cornelius was baptized in the Fedamore Catholic Church:

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) Elizabeth 1850 Parish: MANISTER (RC)

First Name: Elizabeth

Year: 1850

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) Cornelius 1854 Parish: MANISTER (RC)

First Name: Cornelius

Year: 1854

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) Cornelius 1858 Parish: FEDAMORE (RC)

First Name: Cornelius

Year: 1858

Parish/District: FEDAMORE (RC)
____

I then looked for a baptism index for Hanora Cummins, daughter of John Cummins. I found one possibility. This index shows an “Honora” Cummins baptized in St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Limerick City, in 1845. The IFHF accepted John as her father. After several tries at arriving at her mother’s first name, the search engines accepted the abbreviation Margt. If you type in the full name, Margaret, the search engine will reject your search:

1 match for the search criteria: Cummins (plus variants) Honora 1845 Parish: ST. MARY'S (RC)

Surname: Cummins
First Name: Honora
Father's Surname: Cummins
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name: Margt

Parish/District: ST. MARY'S (RC)
____

You would have to order Honora’s baptism transcription from the IFHF to learn what her mother’s maiden name was.

I can’t be sure if the above Honora Cummins refers to the Hanora Cummins who would later marry Michael Kinane.

Earlier I had mentioned that I found an entry at your Family Tree for Hanora Cummins, stating that her parents were William Cummins and Ellen Gibbs. The IFHF indexes have recorded the baptisms of 7 of their children. Four of the children were baptized in Tipperary, while three were baptized in County Waterford. I haven’t accessed all these baptisms, but did look to see if one of the baptisms was for an Hanora, Honora, Hannah, or Nora, but without success.

If you would like me to pursue this line of research to find the names of their children, I’ll do so at your request.

You also have another Family Tree entry for Nora Cummins (wife of Michael Kinane) whose parents are listed as Timothy Kinane and Bridget Keely. I looked for the baptism indexes for any children of Timothy and Bridget at the IFHF website, but found none. Nor did I find their marriage index. This doesn’t mean that Timothy and Bridget didn’t marry and have children. It just means that their marriage and the baptisms of their children have not been recorded by the IFHF to date. Either that, or I missed locating them in the IFHF indexes.

MORE U.S. RECORDS PERTAINING TO THE KINANE FAMILY

Next I located five Kinane siblings in the 1900 U.S. census for Chicago, living in the household of 30 year old teamster, Thomas Clancy, and his 23 year old wife Mary, at an address of 336 West Polk St. Both Thomas and Mary were born in Ireland. The census shows that as of 1910 they were married for two years, but they have no children. As you will see later, Mary Clancy was also a Kinane.

The Kinanes in the Clancy household are 22 year old Patrick, 20 year old John, 16 year old Daniel, and 18 year old Kitty. Patrick is shown to be a bartender who immigrated to the U.S. in 1897. John’s occupation is listed as a stock keeper of furniture. He immigrated in 1898. I couldn’t make out Daniel’s full occupation in a copy of the original census found at Ancestry.com. But, part of the job looks like blacksmith. Daniel immigrated in 1899. Kate is shown to be a book binder who immigrated in 1896. All four Kinane’s are listed as “Alien,” meaning they hadn’t applied for, or had become citizens. You’ll see on the line for Thomas Clancy, the word “Papers,” for his citizenship status. This means he filed paper work to become a U.S, citizen. I am wondering if Thomas Clancy would have been a friend from back home.

The 1900 census transcription from Ancestry.com, follows:

State of Illinois
County of Cook
Township of other division of county: West Town

Name of incorporated city, town, or village, within the above-named division, City of Chicago. Ward of City, 19th
Enumerated by me on the 8th day of June 1900, Joseph J. O'Donnell, Enumerator

Street Address: 336 West Polk St.

Name, Relation, Personal Description, Nativity, Parents' Nativity, Citizenship, Occupation, Education, Home Ownership

Thomas Clancy, Head, White, Male, Born Dec. 1869, 30, Married 2 years, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Immigration 1891, 9 years in U.S., Papers, Teamster, Rents House
Mary Clancy, Wife, White, Female, Born Aug. 1876, 23, Married 2 years, 0 children, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Immigration 1890, 10 years in U.S.
Patrick Kinane, Border, White, Male, Born Sept 1877, 22, Single, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Immigration 1897, 3 Years in U.S., Alien, Bartender
John Kinane, Border, White, Male, Born May 1882, 20, Single, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Immigration 1898, 2 years in U.S., Alien, Stock Keeper-Furniture
Daniel Kinane, Border, White, Male, Born May 1884, 16, Single, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Immigration 1899, 6 mos in U.S., Alien, ? Blacksmith
Kitty Kinane, Border, White, Female, Born Mar. 1882, 18, Single, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Immigration 1896, 3 years in U.S., Alien, Book-binder

Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Chicago Ward 19, Cook, Illinois; Roll: 269; Page: 11B; Enumeration District: 0604; FHL microfilm: 1240269.
____

Next I looked for each of the Kinane siblings at Ancestry.com’s Immigration collection. The 1900 census gives their years of immigration, but the years listed in these old census returns are not always accurate, and so I looked for their ship’s passenger list for the year stated in the census, plus or minus two years. The census shows that Kitty Kinane was the first to sail, and so I began the search with her.

I believe I found her in the passenger lists under the name of Kate Kinane. She and her brother Patrick arrived together at the Port of New York on the S.S. Majestic, 21 October 1897. The Majestic sailed out of Queenstown, Ireland. Queenstown today is known as Cobh, and is located not far from Cork City.

The Majestic manifest shows that Kate Kinane is a 16 year old Scholar (student) from County Tipperary. Her final destination is listed as Chicago. The passenger list also shows that she arrived with $10 given to her by her father, and that she was going to join her father at an address of what appears to be 253 Erving St., though the name of the street is a little difficult to read.

The manifest also shows that 19 year old Patrick Kinane was a laborer who arrived in New York with $10 and, like Kate, his final destination was Chicago, where he was going to join his father at 253 Erving St.

Next the ships’ passenger lists show that 18 year old John Kinane arrived in New York, sailing out of Queenstown, on the Teutonic, 26 May 1898. The manifest shows he was a laborer, though the only thing I could make out for his last residence in Ireland, is the word “Town.” His final destination in the U.S.is Chicago. He arrived with $25. I couldn’t read the address he was going to in Chicago.

I then found 16 year old Daniel “Kinnane” in the ships’ passenger lists. He arrived in New York on board the Majestic, out of Queenstown, on 19 October 1899. The manifest shows that he is a laborer who arrived in the U.S. with $2 given to him by his brother. His last residence in Ireland appears to be “Ballyhurst.” His final destination in the states is Chicago, where is to join his brother Patrick at 336 West Polk Street. This is same address in the 1900 census, when the Kinanes were living in the household of Thomas and Mary Clancy.

Ballyhurst is in County Limerick, and a little over 15 miles from Bansha.

The Majestic passenger list had shown that Kate and Patrick Kinane were going to join their father in Chicago, which means he would have immigrated before them. I looked for a Michael Kinane in the ship’s passenger lists, but not sure if I found the Michael Kinane I was looking for.

The ship’s list shows that a 56 year old laborer named Michael Kinane arrived on board the Teutonic out of Queenstown, on 26 December 1895. His last place of residence is given as Lisdoonvarna, which is in County Clare. His final destination, according to the Teutonic’s manifest, is Port Richmond, which is in Philadelphia.

Again. I’m not sure if this Michael Kinane was the father of Patrick, John, Kate, and Daniel Kinane.

MARY CLANCY

Below is the Latter Day Saints (LDS) death index for Mary Clancy. Though not stated in the index, she would have been the wife of Thomas Clancy. Mary died in Aurora, Kane County, Illinois, on 28 January 1943, at age 65. Her birth date is given as 15 August 1875. The IFHF birth index shows she was born in 1876. Mary’s occupation was housewife. Her residence was Chicago. Her place of burial is listed as being “Local.” Her father is listed as Michael Kinane. Only her mother’s maiden name, “Cummings,” is recorded:

Mary Clancy, "Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947"

name: Mary Clancy

death date: 25 Jan 1943
death place: Aurora, Kane, Ill

marital status:
race or color:

birth date: 15 Aug 1875
birthplace: Ireland

father: Michael Kinane
father's birth place: Ireland

mother: Cummings
mother's birth place: Ireland

residence: Chicago, Cook, Ill
street address:
spouse:

spouse's birthplace:

burial date: 28 Jan 1943
burial place: Chicago, Cook, Ill
cemetery: Local

informant:
additional relatives:
digital folder number: 4152586
image number: 2035
film number: 1983373
volume/page/certificate number: CN 1654

film number: 1983373 = Death certificates for the state of Illinois, 1916-1945

Collection: Mary Clancy, "Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NQCL-KX8

Citing this Record
"Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NQCL-KX8 : accessed 05 Dec 2012), Mary Clancy, 25 Jan 1943; citing reference CN 1654, FHL microfilm 1983373.
____

A copy of Mary Clancy’s death record can be found in LDS microfilm number 1983373, which you can order from the Family History Center.

I looked several times for the marriage of Mary Kinane and Thomas Clancy in the Illinois marriage at the LDS website, but didn’t find. The 1900 census notes that she and Thomas Clancy had been married for 2 years, placing their year of marriage circa 1898.

I then took a different approach and looked for the marriage of a Thomas Clancy in Chicago for the 1898 time period, and found the marriage. The reason I couldn’t initially uncover the marriage index at the LDS website is that Mary’s maiden name was transcribed as “Kusnane,” rather than Kinane, or Kinnane. Her middle initial is C.

The LDS marriage index shows the couple were married in Chicago on 16 October 1898. At the time of the marriage Thomas was 32, while Mary was only 18.

The marriage index follows, with Mary’s maiden name of Kusnane:

Thomas Clancy, "Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920"

groom: Thomas Clancy

groom's age: 32
groom's estimated birth year: 1866
groom's birth date: 1866
groom's birthplace:

bride: Mary C. Kusnane

bride's age: 18
bride's estimated birth year: 1880
bride's birth date: 1880
bride's birthplace:
marriage date: 16 Oct 1898

groom's father:
groom's mother:

bride's father:
bride's mother:

groom's marital status:
groom's previous wife:
bride's marital status:

frame number:
digital film number: 4270540
image number: 1282
reference number: 283055

film number: 1030289

Collection: Thomas Clancy, "Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N7W2-S4T

Citing this Record
"Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N7W2-S4T : accessed 07 Dec 2012), Thomas Clancy and Mary C. Kusnane, 16 Oct 1898.
____

A copy of the original Illinois marriage license for Thomas and Mary can be found at the LDS link at:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12385-150421-88...

In looking at the marriage license you can see why the LDS transcriber though that Mary’s maiden name was “Kusnane,” rather than Kinane. But, Mary’s age in the license is off by 4 years, as the IFHF birth index for her shows that she was born in 1876, rather than 1880. She would have been 22 in 1898.

In the 1900 census Daniel Kinane’s oldest brother is Patrick. I found the LDS marriage index for his brother, Patrick C. Kinane at the LDS website, showing he married Nellie A. Dalton, in Chicago, on 19 November 1902. At the time of marriage Patrick and Nellie were 24 years old, each with an “estimated” birth year of 1878. The IFHF birth index for Patrick had shown that he was born in 1879.

You found the marriage of Patrick and Nellie at Ancestry.com, which gives the same film number (1030345) for the marriage as the LDS index below:

Patrick C. Kinane, "Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920"

groom: Patrick C. Kinane

groom's age: 24
groom's estimated birth year: 1878
groom's birth date: 1878
groom's birthplace:

bride: Nellie A. Dalton
bride's age: 24
bride's estimated birth year: 1878
bride's birth date: 1878
bride's birthplace:

marriage date: 19 Nov 1902

groom's father:
groom's mother:

bride's father:
bride's mother:

groom's marital status:
groom's previous wife:
bride's marital status:

frame number:
digital film number: 4270772
image number: 162
reference number: 355919

film number: 1030345

Collection: Patrick C. Kinane, "Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N74Z-B5X

Citing this Record
"Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N74Z-B5X : accessed 06 Dec 2012), Patrick C. Kinane and Nellie A. Dalton, 19 Nov 1902.
____

A copy of Patrick and Nellie’s marriage license can be found at the LDS link at:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12394-242608-73...

I looked for, but didn’t find the LDS death index for Patrick Kinane. In your Family Tree at Ancestry.com you have his death taking place in Chicago on 7 February 1850

I then found the death index for John Cummins Kinane at the LDS website. You have his Ancestry.com death index. He died in Chicago on 18 March 1944. His parents are listed as Michael Kinane and Nora Cummins. His wife is listed as Nora. His age at death is recorded at 62 years old, with an estimated birth year of 1882. The IFHF birth index for him, on the other hand, shows he was born in 1880.

The index follows:

John Cummins Kinane, "Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947"

name: John Cummins Kinane

death date: 18 Mar 1944
death place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois

marital status:
race or color:

estimated birth year: 1882
birth date:
birthplace:

father's birth place:

mother: Nora Cummins
mother's birth place:

residence:
street address:

spouse: Nora
spouse's birthplace:

burial date:
burial place:
cemetery:

informant:
additional relatives:

digital folder number: 4152292
image number: 1434
volume/page/certificate number: cn 8570

film number: 1983245 = Chicago, Illinois death certificates, 1916-1945

Citing this Record
"Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NQB4-GKM : accessed 06 Dec 2012), John Cummins Kinane, 18 Mar 1944; citing reference cn 8570, FHL microfilm 1983245.
____

A copy of John’s death record can be found in LDS microfilm number 1983245.

I also found what I believe to be John’s marriage index at the LDS website, showing he married Nora Gildea in Chicago on 23 April 1902. At the time of marriage both John and Nora were 23 years old, with estimated birth years of 1879. John’s IFHF birth index shows he was born in 1880:

John Kinnane, "Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920"

groom: John Kinnane

groom's age: 23
groom's estimated birth year: 1879
groom's birth date: 1879
groom's birthplace:

bride: Nora Gildea
bride's age: 23
bride's estimated birth year: 1879
bride's birth date: 1879
bride's birthplace:

marriage date: 23 Apr 1902

groom's father:
groom's mother:

bride's father:
bride's mother:

groom's marital status:
groom's previous wife:
bride's marital status:

frame number:
digital film number: 4270732
image number: 807
reference number: 343653

film number: 1030336

Collection: John Kinnane, "Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N747-R8X

Citing this Record
"Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N747-R8X : accessed 06 Dec 2012), John Kinnane and Nora Gildea, 23 Apr 1902
____

A copy of John and Nora’s marriage license can be viewed at the following LDS link:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11870-31875-92?...

I then found the LDS marriage index Catherine “Kinnane” which shows that she and William L. Quain were married in Chicago on 2 September 1902. At the time of marriage, William was 27 and Katherine 21. Her “estimated” birth year in the index is 1881:

Katherine C. Kinnane, "Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920"

groom: William L. Quane

groom's age: 27
groom's estimated birth year: 1875
groom's birth date: 1875
groom's birthplace:

bride: Katherine C. Kinnane

bride's age: 21
bride's estimated birth year: 1881
bride's birth date: 1881
bride's birthplace:

marriage date: 02 Sep 1902
marriage place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois, Usa

groom's father:
groom's mother:

bride's father:
bride's mother:

groom's marital status:
groom's previous wife:

bride's marital status:

frame number:
digital film number: 4270769
image number: 1203
reference number: 351187

film number: 1030341

Collection: Katherine C. Kinnane, "Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N74H-ZXJ

Citing this Record
"Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N74H-ZXJ : accessed 06 Dec 2012), William L. Quane and Katherine C. Kinnane, 02 Sep 1902.
____

You can view a copy of William and Katherine's marriage license at the following LDS link: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11754-71146-7?c...

There’s one other child of Michael Kinane and Hanora Cummins that I haven’t mentioned in U.S. records. This is their son William. The IFHF birth index shows he was born in 1874.

I found the marriage of 22 year old William C. Kinnane at the LDS website, which shows that he and 22 year old Maggie Kelley were married in Chicago on 7 February 1896:

William C. Kinnane, "Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920"

groom: William C. Kinnane

groom's age: 22
groom's estimated birth year: 1874
groom's birth date: 1874
groom's birthplace:

bride: Maggie Kelley

bride's age: 22
bride's estimated birth year: 1874
bride's birth date: 1874
bride's birthplace:

marriage date: 07 Feb 1896
marriage place: Cook, Illinois

groom's father:
groom's mother:

bride's father:
bride's mother:

groom's marital status:
groom's previous wife:
bride's marital status:

frame number:
digital film number: 4270435
image number: 190
reference number: 244813

film number: 1030260

Collection: William C. Kinnane, "Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N7WW-V9D

Citing this Record
"Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N7WW-V9D : accessed 08 Dec 2012), William C. Kinnane and Maggie Kelley, 07 Feb 1896.
____

A copy of William and Maggie’s marriage license can be found at the LDS link at:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12342-199759-63...

The license shows that William and Maggie were married by Daniel L. Riordan, the priest for St. John’s Catholic Church.

I then found William and Maggie Kinnane in the 1900 census living at 1094 Twenty St., Chicago. William’s date of birth is given as June 1876, with an immigration year of 1890. The census shows he was married 4 years. He is employed as a wood polisher, and pays rent rather than owns a home.

Maggie’s date of birth is May 1872. The census shows that in the four years she and William had been married, a child was born, but that this child is not living as of 1900. The census also shows that Maggie immigrated to the U.S. in 1893:

State of Illinois
County of Cook
Township of other division of county: West Town

Name of incorporated city, town, or village, within the above-named division, City of Chicago. Ward of City, 10
Enumerated by me on the 14 day of June 1900, Max Skudera, Enumerator

Street Address: 1094 Twenty St.

Name, Relation, Personal Description, Nativity, Parents' Nativity, Citizenship, Occupation, Education, Home Ownership

William Kinnane, Head, White, Male, June 1876, 23, Married 4 years, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Immigrated 1890, 10 years in U.S., Wood Polisher, Rents Home
Maggie Kinnane, Wife, White, Female, May 1872, 28, Married 4 years, 1 child born, 0 children living, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, 1893, 7 years in U.S.,

Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Chicago Ward 10, Cook, Illinois; Roll: 256; Page: 17B; Enumeration District: 0276; FHL microfilm: 1240256.
____

Below is an LDS index for the death of John Kinane. This may refer to William and Maggie’s son, though I can’t be sure that it does. The index shows that John died in Chicago on 25 January 1897 when he was 2 months and 6 days old. He was buried in Calvary Cemetery on the same day that he died, 25 January, according to the index. His parents are not named:

John Kinane, "Illinois, Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922"

name: John Kinane

death date: 25 Jan 1897

death age: 2m 6d
estimated birth year: 1897
birth date:
birthplace: Chicago

marital status:
spouse:

father:
father's birthplace:

mother:
mother's birthplace:

street address:
residence:

cemetery: Calvary

burial place:
burial date: 25 Jan 1897

funeral home:
informant:
additional relatives:
digital folder number: 4004340
image number: 1316
reference number: 9603

film number: 1033037

Collection: John Kinane, "Illinois, Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N7Z4-94M

Citing this Record
"Illinois, Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N7Z4-94M : accessed 08 Dec 2012), John Kinane, 25 Jan 1897.
____

John’s Chicago death certificate can be found at the LDS link at:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12315-144822-99...

The death record shows he died of Bronchitis at about 5 am on January 25. His place of death is listed as 175-13 Place.

Next I looked for William Kinane at Ancestry.com’s immigration and naturalization collection. I couldn’t identify him in any ship’s passenger list for the years 1887-1900.

But, I found what may be William’s naturalization index card at Ancestry.com, which gives his name as William C. Kinnane. His date of naturalization is 22 October 1895:

U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project) about William C Kinnane

Name: William C Kinnane
Birth Place: Ireland
Court District: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa
Date of Action: 22 Oct 1895

Source Citation: National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington, D.C.; Soundex Index to Naturalization Petitions for the United States District and Circuit Courts, Northern District of Illinois and Immigration and Naturalization Service District 9, 1840-1950 (M1285); Microfilm Serial: M1285; Microfilm Roll: 104.
____

I accessed a copy of his naturalization index card which further shows that he was born in Ireland and at the time of naturalization, was living at 370 Taylor St., but the card doesn’t say which city that street address belonged to. The district court mentioned in the index is regional, and includes the states of Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

On a copy of the original card, the certificate number for the naturalization is listed as “R 56 P 92 minor.” I don’t know if that means that William was a minor when he became a citizen. The index card also shows that the witness to the naturalization was William Quirk, of 99 11th Street.

THE 1910 CENSUS

You’ll be able to find 34 year old William and 36 year old Margaret Kinane in the 1910 census living at an of 6535 Lincoln Street, Chicago. In the household with them is their 5 year old adopted son, Edmond, who was born in Wisconsin. Also in the household is a border whose first name is Patrick. The Ancestry.com census index gives his last name as “Gallahue,” who is 25 years old, born in Ireland, and employed as a shoemaker in a factory.

The next record I found concerning William Kinane, is the death of his adopted son Edmund. Edmund’s death index can be found at Ancestry.com. His death index, and a copy of his original Cook County, Illinois Certificate of Death can also be found at the LDS website link at: http://tinyurl.com/cxeqx45

The certificate of death shows that Edmund died of heart disease on May 1, 1916 at 11 p.m. The death certificate lists his parents as Michael Kinane and Bridget Britt. It also shows that John Edmund was born in Wisconsin. The informant to the death is William C. Kinane, whose address is 6535 S. Lincoln St. The 1910 census had shown that William, Margaret, Edmond, and their border Patrick were living at 6535 Lincoln Street.

John Edmund Kinane was buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetery on May 4, 1916.

The death index from Ancestry.com is below:

Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947

Name: John Edmund Kinane
Birth Date: 10 Sep 1904
Birth Place: Wisconsin
Death Date: 1 May 1916
Death Place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Burial Date: 4 May 1916
Death Age: 11
Marital Status: S
Father Name: Michael Kinane
Father Birth Place: Ireland
Mother Name: Bridget Britt
Mother Birth Place: Ireland
FHL Film Number: 1852180

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.

Original data:
"Illinois Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916–1947." Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2010. Index entries derived from digital copies of original records.
____

Both the Ancestry.com and LDS have indexes for the marriage of Michael Kinane and Bridget Brett. However, the indexes spell Bridget’s maiden name as Butt, rather than Britt. You can view a copy of their original Chicago marriage license at the LDS website link at: http://tinyurl.com/cmnz25b

The license shows that Michael Kinane was from the town of Wiota, Lafayette County, Wisconsin, and that Bridget Britt was from Chicago. They were married in St. John’s Catholic Church by the Rev. Daniel H. Riordan on 18 February 1896. At the time of the marriage, Michael Kinane was 28 and Bridget Britt 26.

Next I looked for, but couldn’t identify any more records for William and Margaret Kinane in Illinois or the rest of the U.S. There may be additional census as well as death records for them that I failed to locate.

I suspect however, that William was the older brother of Mary Kinane Clancy, Patrick Kinane, John Kinane, Daniel Kinane, and Catherine Kitty Kinane Quane.

Concerning the Quanes, your Family Tree shows that William C. Quane, who married Catherine Kinane, was born in Ireland in 1875, and that his parents were David Quane and Ellen Landers.

I went back to the IFHF website for Limerick to see if I could find William’s birth or baptism index. I found his baptism index showing he was baptized in Ballylanders, Limerick in 1874. The search engine did not accept a C. for the first initial of his middle name ( as found in his marriage license), but after some experimentation, the search engine accepted Patrick as middle name. The search engine also accepted David Quane and Ellen Landers as the names of his parents:

1 match for the search criteria: Quane (plus variants) William 1874 Parish: BALLYLANDERS (RC)

Surname: Quane
First Name: William Patrick
Father's Surname: Quane
Father's First Name: David
Mother's Surname: Landers

Year: 1874

Parish/District: BALLYLANDERS (RC)
____

Ancestry.com’s “Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911,” also has the birth or baptism indexes for two of Wlliam’s siblings, Mary Quane, born in Galbally, Limerick on 10 November 1870, and Adam Quane, born in Tipperary Town, Tipperary, o 15 November 1879:

Mary Quane 10 Nov 1870 Galbally, Lim, Ireland David Quane, Ellen Landers

Mary Quane 10 Nov 1870 Limerick, Ireland David Quane, Ellen Landers

Adam Quane 15 Nov 1879 Tipperary, Tipperary, Tipperary, Ireland

Source Information:

____

Below is Mary’s IFHF birth index. Her birth took place in the Galbally Civil Parish. She is followed by a baptism index for Ellen Quade, whose baptism, like William’s took place in the Ballylanders Catholic Church:

Both indexes follow

1 match for the search criteria: Quane (plus variants) Mary 1870 Parish: GALBALLY (CP)

Year: 1870

Parish/District: GALBALLY (CP)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Quane (plus variants) Ellen 1872 Parish: BALLYLANDERS (RC)

Parish/District: BALLYLANDERS (RC)
____

I then found the civil marriage indexes as well as the church marriage index for David Quane and Ellen Landers.

The marriage took place in Galbally in 1868. The search engine accepted John as David Quane’s father, and Robert as Ellen Landers’s father.

The individual marriage indexes for David and Ellen follow.

1 match for the search criteria: Quane (plus variants) David 1868 Parish: GALBALLY (CP)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Limerick
First Name: David
Spouse's Surname: Landers
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: GALBALLY (CP)

AND

Surname: Landers
Spouse's Surname: Quane
Spouse's First Name: David
Father's Surname: Landers
Father's First Name: Robert
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: GALBALLY (CP)
____

Next is the church marriage index showing the couple were married in the Galbally & Aherlow Catholic Parish, County Limerick:

1 match for the search criteria: Quane (plus variants) David 1868 Parish: GALBALLY & AHERLOW (RC)

First Name: David
Spouse's Surname: Landers
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: GALBALLY & AHERLOW (RC)
____

The following are three birth indexes for more children of David and Ellen. The births were recorded in Tipperary Civil Parish.

The births are for Robert (1875); the aforementioned Adam (1879); and Thomas (1883):

1 match for the search criteria: Quane (plus variants) Robert 1875 Parish: TIPPERARY (CP)

First Name: Robert

Year: 1875

Parish/District: TIPPERARY (CP)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Quane (plus variants) Adam 1879 Parish: TIPPERARY (CP)

First Name: Adam

____

1 match for the search criteria: Quane (plus variants) Thomas 1883 Parish: TIPPERARY (CP)

First Name: Thomas

Year: 1883

____

I also found the civil death index for Adam Quane. The index shows his death recorded in Tipperary in 1880:

1 match for the search criteria: Quane (plus variants) Adam 1880 Parish: TIPPERARY (CP)

Record Type: Burial/Death Records for County Tipperary (South)
First Name: Adam

Year: 1880

____

Next I located what may be your Quane family in the 1901 census of Ireland, living at 39 Dillon Street, Tipperary West Urban, County Tipperary. This is a section of Tipperary Town. The census shows that 64 year old David L. Quane was born in County Limerick and was employed as a grocer and undertaker. The census also shows that he could read and write as well as speak Irish and English. His 56 year old wife Ellen could also read and write.

There are five children in the household with David and Ellen. These are 29 year old Mary F., a seamstress born in Limerick; 27 year old Ellen, also a seamstress born in Limerick; 21 year old David L., an undertaker born in County Tipperary; 18 year old Margaret, a seamstress born in Tipperary; and 16 year old Thomas, a clerk born in County Tipperary. All the children could read and write. None were married.

Also in the household is David and Ellen’s “Niece in Law, 13 year old Maggie Moroney, born County Tipperary. The household also includes a lodger, 24 year old Roger Condon, a grocer’s clerk born in County Limerick. He may have worked for David Quane.

The census transcription below is from the National Archives of Ireland website link at:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

1901 Census of Ireland

Residents of a house 39 in Dillon Street (Tipperary West Urban, Tipperary)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses

Quane David L 64 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Limerick Grocer and Undertaker Read and write Irish and English Married
Quane Ellen 56 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Limerick Read and write English Married
Quane Mary F 29 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Limerick Seamstress Read and write English
Not Married
Quane Ellen 27 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Limerick Seamstress Read and write English
Not Married
Quane David L 21 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Tipperary Undertaker Read and write English
Not Married
Quane Margret 18 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Tipperary Seamstress Read and write English
Not Married
Quane Thomas 16 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Tipperary Clerk Read and write English Not Married
Moroney Maggy 13 Female Niece in Law Roman Catholic Co Tipperary Scholar Read and write English Not Married
Condon Roger 24 Male Lodger Roman Catholic Co Limerick Grocer's Clerke Read and write English Not Married
____

To view a copy of the original 1901 census for David and Ellen Quane and family, go to the National Archives of Ireland link at: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001177519/

I also found the Quane family in the 1911 census living at 1 Dillon Street, Tipperary Town. In this census David Quane is listed as a 78 year old grocer born in County Limerick. He can speak both Irish and English. The census shows that he and his 69 year old wife Ellen had been married for 43 years, and in that time had 11 children, with all 11 children still alive. But, an IFHF earlier had shown that David and Ellen’s son Adam Quane had died in 1880.

Two of David and Ellen’s children are in the household with them in the 1911 census.. These are 40 year old Mary Terecia, and 28 year old Margaret. Both daughters are single. Also in the household is 43 year old William Hanley, whose occupation is listed as the manager of a grocery establishment. He probably managed David’s Grocery store:

1911 Census of Ireland

Residents of a house 1 in Dillon Street (Tipperary West Urban, Tipperary)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language
Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living

Quane David 78 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Limerick Grocer Read and write Irish and English Married 43 11
Quane Ellen 69 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Limerick Read and write English Married 43 11 11
Quane Mary Tericia 40 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Tipperary Read and write English Single
Quane Margaret 28 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Tipperary Read and write English Single
Hanley William 43 Male Boarder Roman Catholic Ireland Manager of Grocery Establishment Read and write English Single
____

A copy of the original 1911 census for the Quane family can be found at:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003350916/

You can see where Dillon Street, Tipperary Town is located on a Google Map at: http://tinyurl.com/clxjajc

Once at the map left-click on the letter A pointing to Dillon Street. A thumb-nail “Street view” photo of the street will appear. Click on the photo and you’ll be able to take a tour of Dillon Street as well as the surrounding streets.

The 1868 marriage index for David Quane and Ellen Landers had shown that David’s father was John Quane. Next, I looked for a baptism index for a David Quane, son of John, at the IFHF website for Limerick, but didn’t find one. I looked for his birth index for the 1830s and 1840s.

The marriage index for David and Ellen had shown that Ellen’s father was Robert Landers. I looked for the baptism index for an Ellen Landers, daughter of Robert, but didn’t find it, though I did uncover a baptism index for an Ellen Landers whose father was Robin, not Robert. This index shows that Ellen’s baptism took place in the Manister, County Limerick Catholic Church, in 1851. The search engine accepted Ellen as the first name of Ellen’s mother.

I’m not sure if this index pertains to the future wife of David Quane:

1 match for the search criteria: Landers (plus variants) Ellen 1843 Parish: GALBALLY & AHERLOW (RC)

Surname: Landers
Father's Surname: Landers
Father's First Name: Robin
Mother's Surname:

____

I then may have found your William Quane in the ship’s passenger list index for New York. The passenger list, from Ancestry.com, shows a William Quane arriving in New York on board the City of New York, on 2 July 1891. The record shows that William was 24 years old, from County Limerick, and heading for Boston after he departed the ship:

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

Name: William Quane
Arrival Date: 2 Jul 1891
Birth Date: abt 1867
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Irish
Place of Origin: Ireland
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Latest Residence: Co. Limerick
Destination: Boston, Massachusetts
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: City of New York

Source Citation: Year: 1891; Arrival: New York, United States; Microfilm Serial: M237; Microfilm Roll: 571; Line: 14; List Number: 974.
____

William would not have arrived at Ellis Island, as Ellis Island didn’t open as an immigrant processing center until 1892. He would have arrived at what was called the Old Barge Office. See the following link:
http://academic2.marist.edu/foy/clan/essays/castle%20garden....

CONCLUSION

I can’t be certain that all of the information in this reply pertains to your direct line or even collateral lines. You may want to access the same records that I did, especially those found at the LDS and IFHF website, to see if you agree that these records are your particular ancestors.

Best Wishes and Merry Christmas,

Dave Boylan

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 5:50AM GMT
Surnames: Richardson, Cooney, Kinane
Well now, you have given me much to work with! Thanks so very much, and I am wondering what your interest in this could be!
Do you suppose that Michael F Kinnane, my g-grandfather, had a 2nd family in the US? Since we can find no record other than he and Bridget Britt are parents of John Edmond and maybe others.
I do know my grandmother, Hannah Kinane, wife of Daniel, would not allow Michael in her house since he "left his family" or so the story went. Who really knows? But what do the records suggest to you?

Your info fills out many questions in my tree. How can I thank you?

Tiswell

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 1:11PM GMT

You’re welcome Tiswell. My interest in your ancestry was purely genealogical. I wanted to see if I could confirm some of the records you found, and to also see if more information could be uncovered about your ancestors through other applications, such the Latter Day Saints and Irish Family History Foundation websites.

In addition, I believe that Michael Kinane did have second family. If you recall from my first reply, I located the death record for John Edmund Kinane, son of Michael Kinane and Bridget Britt. John Edmund was born on 10 September 1904, and died on 1 May 1916. Below is his death index from the LDS website for quick reference:

John Edmund Kinane, "Illinois, Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922"

name: John Edmund Kinane

death date: 01 May 1916

race (original): white
race (standardized): White
death age: 11y 7m 21d

birth date: 10 Sep 1904
birthplace: Wisconsin

marital status:

father's birthplace: Ireland

mother: Bridget Britt
mother's birthplace: Ireland

street address:
residence: Chicago, Cook, Illinois

cemetery: Mt. Olivet
burial place:
burial date: 04 May 1916

funeral home:
informant:
additional relatives:
digital folder number: 4004830
image number: 507
reference number: cn 13468

film number: 1276299

Collection: John Edmund Kinane, "Illinois, Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N7SH-KL4

Citing this Record
"Illinois, Cook County Deaths, 1878-1922," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N7SH-KL4 : accessed 11 Dec 2012), John Edmund Kinane, 01 May 1916.
____

John Edmund’s first and middle names are not in his Wisconsin birth index I found at the LDS website, confirming his 10 September 1904 birthdate. This index can also be found at Ancestry.com:

Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908

Name: Kinane
Birth Date: 10 Sep 1904
Birth Place: Wiota, Lafayette, Wisconsin
Father's Name: Michael Kinane
Father's Birth Place: Ireland
Mother's Name: Bridget Britts
Mother's Birth Place: Ireland

FHL Film Number: 1305078 = Lafayette County (Wis.)registration of births, ca. 1876-1907:
Births v. 3 ........... ca. 1902-1907

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.

Original data:
"Wisconsin Births and Christenings, 1826–1926." Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2009, 2010. Index entries derived from digital copies of original and compiled records.
____

I also found his mother Bridget’s death index at the LDS website. This index shows that Bridget died in Wiota, Wisconsin 0n 25 September 1904. The death index also notes that she was born in Ireland around 1866, that she was married at the time of her death, that she was buried in Argyle, and that her husband was Michael Kinane:

Michael Kinane in entry for Bridget Kinane, "Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968"

name: Bridget Kinane
burial date:
burial place: Argyle
death date: 25 Sep 1904
death place: Wiota, Lafayette, Wisconsin
birth date: 1866
birthplace: Ireland
race: White
marital status: Married
spouse's name: Michael Kinane
father's name:
father's birthplace:
mother's name:
mother's birthplace:
indexing project (batch) number: B06531-7
system origin: Wisconsin-EASy
reference number: p23 cn136

source film number: 1306209 = Registration of deaths, ca. 1862-1907. author: Wisconsin. Bureau of Vital Statistics:
Lafayette County v. 1 - v. 2 1876-1907 Langlade County v. 1 1882-1907 Lincoln County v. 1, p. 1-239 1875-1900

Collection: Michael Kinane in entry for Bridget Kinane, "Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XL48-DFM

Citing this Record
"Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XL48-DFM : accessed 11 Dec 2012), Michael Kinane in entry for Bridget Kinane, 1866.
____

A copy of Bridget’s death record can be found in LDS microfilm number 1306209, which you can order from your nearest Family History Center.

Bridget died only 15 days after her son John Edmund was born. I have a theory as to why John didn’t live with his father, but with William C. Kinane’s family. It may be that Michael blamed his son John for the death of Bridget, who could have died due to complications of child birth. This is only a theory, of course.

Records show that a year and a half after Bridget died, Michael Kinane married Catherine McGrath in Argyle, Lafayette County, Wisconsin, on 21 February 1906. The marriage index below from the LDS website, shows that Michael’s parents were James Kinane and Joanna O’Neill, while Catherine’s parents were Patrick McGrath and Ann O’Neill:

Michael Kinane, "Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930"

groom's name: Michael Kinane
groom's birth date:
groom's birthplace: Ireland
groom's age:

bride's name: Catherine Mcgrath
bride's birth date:
bride's birthplace: Wiota, Wi
bride's age:

marriage date: 21 Feb 1906
marriage place: Argyle, Lafayette, Wisconsin

groom's father's name: James Kinane
groom's mother's name: Joanna O'Neill

bride's father's name: Patrick Mcgrath
bride's mother's name: Ann O'Brien

groom's race: White
groom's marital status: Unknown
groom's previous wife's name:

bride's race: White
bride's marital status: Unknown
bride's previous husband's name:

indexing project (batch) number: M00351-2
reference number: 1712

source film number: 1292007 = Lafayette County (Wis.) registration of marriages: Marriages, 1905-1907

Collection: Michael Kinane, "Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XRGY-49B

Citing this Record
"Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XRGY-49B : accessed 11 Dec 2012), Michael Kinane and Catherine Mcgrath, 21 Feb 1906.
____

The marriage record for Michael and Catherine can be found in LDS microfilm number 1292007. I hadn’t come across information in your Family Tree at Ancestry.com that Michael’s parents were James Kinane and Joanna O’Neill. I’ll have more information about James Kinane and Joanna O’Neill, as well as Patrick McGrath and Ann O’Brien, a little later.

Next I found Michael and “Katherine” in the 1910 census in Wiota, Wisconsin. In this census the surname is spelled “Kinnane.” The census shows that Michael is a 44 year old farmer married for four years, who immigrated to the U.S. in 1886, and who became a naturalized citizen. The census gives his marital status as M2. This stands for marriage number 2.

The census also shows that her marriage to Michael was her first marriage, designated by M1. Katherine is shown to be 44 years old and born in Wisconsin, though her parents were born in Ireland. She is also shown to have had 1 child born to her, and that this child is still living. The only child in the household who is less than 4 years old is 3 year old Mercedes Kinnane, born in Wisconsin. The other three children in the household would be from Michael’s first marriage. These children are 12 year old Willie; 10 year old James; and 9 year old Thomas. Also in the household is a “Hired Girl,” 20 year old Sarah Anderson, born Norway.

The family in the household enumerated just after Michael and Katherine, is that of 36 year old John McGrath, a farmer born in Ireland; his 6 year old daughter Marie, born in Wisconsin; and his 65 year old widowed mother, Mary McGrath, who immigrated to the U.S. in 1847. These McGraths may be Katherine’s relatives, though I’m not sure how, as the marriage index above shows that Katherine’s mother was Ann O’Brien, not Mary O’Brien.

The 1910 census transcription below is from Ancestry.com:

State: Wisconsin

County: Lafayette

Township Or Other Division Of County: Wiota Township East half. Name of Encorporated Place

Enumerated By Me On The 4 Day Of May, 1910. Frank W Doring, Enumerator

Name Relation, Personal Description, Nativity, Parents’ Nativity, Citizenship, Occupation, Industry, Home Ownership

Michael Kinnane, Head, Male, White, 44, M2 (Second Marriage) Married 4 years, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, 1886, Naturalized, Farmer, Owns farm
Katherine Kinnane, Wife, Female, White, 44, M1 (First marriage), 1 child born, 1 child living, Wisconsin, Ireland, Ireland, None
Mercedes Kinnane, Daughter, Female, White, 3, Single, Wisconsin, Ireland, Wisconsin, None
Willie Kinnane, Son, Male, White, 12, Single, Wisconsin, Ireland, Wisconsin, None
James Kinnane, Son, Male, White, 10, Single, Wisconsin, Ireland, Wisconsin, None
Thomas Kinnane, Male, White, 9, Single, Wisconsin, Ireland, Wisconsin, None
Sarah Anderson, Hired Girl, Female, White, 20, Single, Norway, Norway, Norway, 1908, Domestic Farm HOusehold

Next Household

John McGrath, Head, Male, White, 36, Widower, Wisconsin, Ireland, Ireland, Farmer, Owns Farm
Marie McGrath, Daughter, Female, white, 6, Single, Wisconsin, Wisconsin, Ireland, None
Mary McGrath, Mother, Female, White, 65, Widow, Ireland, 1847, None

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Wiota, Lafayette, Wisconsin; Roll: T624_1717; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 0055; ; FHL microfilm: 1375730.
____

I found Mercedes Kinane’s Social Security Death Index at Ancestry.com, showing that she was born in Wisconsin on 13 May 1907, and that she died in May 1983, at age 76. Her last residence is given as Green, Wisconsin:

Mercedes Kinane, "United States Social Security Death Index"

first name: Mercedes
last name: Kinane

birth date: 13 May 1907

social security number: 391-22-3565
place of issuance: Wisconsin

last residence: Green, Wisconsin
zip code of last residence: 53566

death date: May 1983
estimated age at death: 76

Collection: Mercedes Kinane, "United States Social Security Death Index"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JLSP-9ZV

Citing this Record
"United States Social Security Death Index," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JLSP-9ZV : accessed 11 Dec 2012), Mercedes Kinane, May 1983; citing U.S. Social Security Administration, Death Master File, database (Alexandria, Virginia: National Technical Information Service, ongoing).
____

I also found “Mike Kinane” and family in the 1920 census for Wiota, Wisconsin. In this census Mike is a 55 year old farmer born in Ireland. He immigrated in 1889 and became a naturalized citizen in 1902. The census also shows that he owned his own home free of a mortgage. But, the census lists his wife as 55 year old Bridget Kinane, born in Wisconsin.

Bridget’s death index as well as the 1900 census, show that her birthplace was Ireland, not Wisconsin.

The circumstances behind listing Bridget as Michael’s wife in the 1920 census can only be surmised at this point in time almost 93 years after the census was taken.

It’s possible that one of Michael’s sons gave the information to the census taker. Of course, if one of his sons had given the information, he might have told the census taker that his mother was Bridget, rather than Katherine, which would have been true. In any event, this is only a guess. Perhaps the real reason that Bridget is listed as Mike’s wife in the 1920 census will never be known for certain.

The three children in the Kinane household in the 1920 census are 21 year old farm laborer Will Kinane; 17 year old farm laborer Thomas Kinane; and 12 year old Mercedes Kinane:

FOURTEENTH CENSUS OF THE UNITED STATES: 1920-POPULATION

STATE: Wisconsin

COUNTY: Lafayette

TOWNSHIP OF OTHER DIVISION OF COUNTY: Wiota Township

NAME OF ENCORPORATED PLACE_________________

ENUMERATED BY ME ON THE 28-29 DAY OF JANUARY 1920. Henry Keister ENUMERATOR

Name, Relation, Home Data, Sex, Color, Age, Marital Status, Citizenship, Birthplace, Father's Birthplace, Mother's Birthplace, Occupation

Mike Kinane, Head, Owns home free of mortgage, Male, White, 55, Immigrated 1889, Naturalized 1902, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Farmer
Bridget Kinane, Wife, Female, White, 55, Married, Wisconsin, Ireland, Ireland, None
Will Kinane, Son, Male, White, 21, Single, Wisconsin, Ireland, Wisconsin, Laborer general Farm
Thomas Kinane, Male, White, 17, Single, Wisconsin, Ireland, Wisconsin, Laborer general Farm
Mercedes Kinane, Daughter, Female, White, 12, Single, Wisconsin, Ireland, Wisconsin, None

Source Citation: Year: 1920; Census Place: Wiota, Lafayette, Wisconsin; Roll: T625_1993; Page: 3B; Enumeration District: 191; Image: 221.
____

By the 1930 census Mike ”Kenan” is a 64 year old widower with only his daughter, 22 year old Mercedes, in the household with him. The census shows they are living in Argyle Township, Lafayette County, Wisconsin. The census also shows that Mike’s immigration to the States took place in 1889 and that he had become a naturalized U.S. Citizen:

FIFTEENTH CENSUS OF THE UNITED STATES: 1930

POPULATION SCHEDULE

STATE: WISCONSIN

COUNTY: LAFAYETTE

Township of other division of county: Argyle Township

Enumerated by me on April 3, 1930. Frank A. Thomspon Jr., Enumerator.

Name, Relation, Home Data, Radio set, Does family live ona farm?, Sex, Color, Age, Marital condition, Age at first marriage, Birthplace, Father's Birthplace, Mother's Birthplace, Year of Immigration, Naturalization, Occupation, Industry

Mike Kenan, Head, Owns home worth $4,000, Radio, No, Male, White, 64, Widower, Irish Free State, Irish Free State, Irish Free State, 1889, Naturalized, None
Mercedes Kenan, Daughter, Female, White, 22, Single, Wisconsin, Irish Free State, Wisconsin, None

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Argyle, Lafayette, Wisconsin; Roll: 2579; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 2; Image: 697.0; FHL microfilm: 2342313.
____

Below is the LDS death index for Michael Kinane’s wife, Catherine. The index shows that Catherine died in Freeport, Stephenson, Illinois, on 22 January 1930 when she was 64. The index shows her residence at the time of death was Argyle Township, Wisconsin, but that she was born in Wiota Township. Her husband is listed as Michael Kinane. The index further shows that her father was Patrick McGrath and her mother was Annie O’Neill. Both parents were born in Ireland. Catherine was buried in Calvary Cemetery, Argyle Township.

Catherine’s death record can be found in LDS microfilm number 1643652:

Catherine Kinane, "Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947"

name: Catherine Kinane

death date: 22 Jan 1930
death place: Freeport, Stephenson, Illinois
marital status:
race or color:
estimated birth year: 1866

birth date: 27 Sep 1865
birthplace: Wiota Twsp, Wisconsin

father: Patrick Mcgrath
father's birth place: Ireland

mother: Annie O'Neill
mother's birth place: Ireland

residence: Argyle, Wisconsin
street address:

spouse: Michael Kinane
spouse's birthplace:

burial date: 25 Jan 1930
burial place: Argyle, La Fayette, Wisconson
cemetery: Calvary

informant:
additional relatives:
digital folder number: 4008261
image number: 2063
volume/page/certificate number: pg 3041 cn 21

film number: 1643652 = Death certificates for the state of Illinois, 1916-1945

Collection: Catherine Kinane, "Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NQM1-658

Citing this Record
"Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NQM1-658 : accessed 11 Dec 2012), Catherine Kinane, 22 Jan 1930; citing reference pg 3041 cn 21, FHL microfilm 1643652.
____

The 1906 marriage index for Michael Kinane and Catherine McGrath, had shown that Michael’s parents were James Kinane and Joanna O'Neill. The census returns were pretty consistent with Michael’s age, showing that he would have been born circa 1865-1866. With this information I looked for his birth or baptism index at the IFHF website. I believe I found his civil birth index, showing his birth recorded in Emly, Tipperary in 1866. His parents are listed as James Kinane and Joanna O’Neill:

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) Michael 1866 Parish: EMLY (CP)

Father's First Name: James
Mother's Surname: O'Neill
Mother's First Name: Joanna

Parish/District: EMLY (CP)
____

His birth index from Ancestry.com shows Michael was born on 1 February 1866. The index lists his mother’s maiden name as “Neill.”

Name: Michael Kinane
Birth Date: 1 Feb 1866
Birth Place: Emly, Tipperary, Ireland
Father's Name: James Kinane
Mother's Name: Joanna Neil
FHL Film Number: 101122

Source Information:

____

In addition to Michael, below are the Ancestry.com indexes for other children of James Kinane and Joanna/Johanna. These children are Eliza (1864); Michael again (1866); Anne (1867); Mary (1868); Thomas (1871); Catherine (1872); Doragh (1875); James (1878); and Joanna (1879). The indexes list either Tipperary or Emly, Tipperary as their birthplace. James’s 1878 birth index however, gives his place of birth as “Arlamon,” Tipperary. The actual name for this place is Ardloman. Each index is accompanied by an LDS microfilm number. These individual microfilms will contain copies of the original birth records for the Kinane children.

I once again included Michael with the other children in the indexes below so that you can see the full chronology of the birth indexes found at Ancestry.com:

Name: Eliza Kennane
Birth Date: 8 Nov 1864
Father's Name: James Kennane
FHL Film Number: 101097

Source Information:

____

Name: Michael Kinane
Birth Date: 1 Feb 1866
FHL Film Number: 101122

Source Information:

____

Name: Anne Kinnane
Birth Date: 24 Jul 1867
Birth Place: Tipperary, Ireland
Father's Name: James Kinnane
Mother's Name: Johanna O Neill
FHL Film Number: 101152

Source Information:

____

Name: Mary Kinane
Birth Date: 29 Sep 1868
Birth Place: Emly, Tipp, Ireland
Baptism Place: Emly, Tipp, Ireland
Mother's Name: Johanna O Neill
FHL Film Number: 101177

Source Information:

____

Name: Thomas Kinnane
Birth Date: 20 Apr 1871
Mother's Name: Johanna O'Neill
FHL Film Number: 255821

Source Information:

____

Name: Catherine Kinnane
Birth Date: 4 Jul 1872
Mother's Name: Johanna Neill
FHL Film Number: 255858

Source Information:

____

Name: Doragh Kinnane
Birth Date: 26 Jul 1875
Birth Place: Tipperary, Ireland
Mother's Name: Joanna Oneill
FHL Film Number: 255936

Source Information:

____

Name: James Kinnane
Birth Date: 1 Feb 1878
Birth Place: Arlamon, Tipperary, Ireland
Mother's Name: Joanna O'Neill Kinnane
FHL Film Number: 255999

Source Information:

____

Name: Joanna Kinnane
Birth Date: 27 Oct 1879
Birth Place: Emly, Tipperary, Tipperary, Ireland
Mother's Name: Joanna O'Neill
FHL Film Number: 256040

Source Information:

____

I also found the IFHF civil birth indexes for several children of James Kinane and Johanna O’Neill. The births of all the children were recorded in Emly, Tiperary. These children include Ann (1867); Mary (1868); Thomas (1871); Catherine (1872); Doragh (1875); James (1878); and Joanna (1879).

The IFHF search engine accepted Johanna as the first name of the children’s mother in some of the indexes, while in other birth indexes, the search engine would only accept Joanna as her first name. If you order the birth transcriptions for the Kinane children from the IFHF, make sure to spell the first name of the child’s mother the way it is spelled in the indexes below:

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) Anne 1867 Parish: EMLY (CP)

First Name: Anne
Mother's First Name: Johanna

Year: 1867

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) Mary 1868 Parish: EMLY (CP)

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) Thomas 1871 Parish: EMLY (CP)

First Name: Thomas

Year: 1871

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) Catherine 1872 Parish: EMLY (CP)

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) Doragh 1875 Parish: EMLY (CP)

First Name: Doragh

Year: 1875

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) James 1878 Parish: EMLY (CP)

First Name: James

Year: 1878

____

1 match for the search criteria: Kinane (plus variants) Joanna 1879 Parish: EMLY (CP)

First Name: Joanna

____

Tiswell, in going over the indexes above, and comparing this information with the Kinanes I found in Chicago, as seen in the last reply, I’m a little confused about how the Michael Kinane in Wisconsin is related to the Chicago Kinanes, as they appear to be from different lines, though they are likely related in some way, perhaps as cousins?

For example, William C. Kinane (who adopted Michael’s son, John Edmund), was the son I believe, of Michael Kinane and Hanora Cummins. Could it be that William’s father Michael was the brother of Michael’s father James?

Next, I looked for the KInane family in the 1901 census of Ireland. I didn’t find the father and mother, James and Joanna Kinane in the 1901 census, but located what I believe are four of their children, though their ages in the census may be off by a few years when compared to their birth indexes. The address of the Kinanes is house 1 in Ardloman, Bruis, Tipperary.

These children, all born in County Tipperary, and all single, are 26 year old farmer Thomas, 23 year old Dora; 22 year old James; and 21 year old Johanna. Also in the household is a farm servant, 19 year old John Shanihan, born in Tipperary.

The census transcription below is from the National Archives of Ireland website link at:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Residents of a house 1 in Ardloman (Bruis, Tipperary)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses

Kinane Thomas 26 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Tipperary Farmer Read and write Not Married
Kinane Dora 23 Female Sister Roman Catholic Tipperary Farmers Sister Read and write Not Married
Kinane James 22 Male Brother Roman Catholic Tipperary Farmers Brother Read and write Not Married
Kinane Johanna 21 Female Sister Roman Catholic Tipperary Farmers Sister Read and write Not Married
Shanihan John 19 Male Farm Servant Roman Catholic Tipperary Farm Servent Read and write Not Married
____

You can view a copy of the original 1901 census the Kinanes at the following National Archives link:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001173756/

I also found the person I believe to be Thomas Kinane in the 1911 census living in an address of house 10, Ardloman, Bruis, Tipperary. In this census Thomas is a 40 year old famer who is married to 23 year old Marianne. The census shows that Thomas and Marianne, as of 1911, were married for 4 years, and in that time had 2 children. The children are still alive and in the household. These are 2 year old Josie Mary and 10 month old James. Also in the household are two servants. These are 16 year old Bridget McNamara and 20 year old Patrick Tinnan:

Residents of a house 10 in Ardloman (Bruis, Tipperary)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living

Kinane Thomas 40 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Tipperary Farmer Read and write Married
Kinane Marianne 33 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Tipperary Read and write Married 4 2 2
Kinane Josie Mary 2 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Tipperary Cannot read Single
Kinane James 10 months Male Son Roman Catholic Co Tipperary Farmers Son Cannot read
McNamara Bridget 16 Female Servant Roman Catholic Co Tipperary General Servant Domestic Read and write Single
Tinnan Patrick 20 Male Servant Roman Catholic Co Tipperary Farm Servant Read and write Single
____

A copy of the 1911 census for Thomas and Marianne Kinane and their children can be found at the National Archives link at: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003342614/

To see a Google map of Ardloman, go to: http://tinyurl.com/aqwe29x

Ardloman is situated just southwest of Tipperary Town, and west of Bansha.

CATHERINE MCGRATH

The 1906 marriage index for Michael Kinane and Catherine McGrath gives the names of Catherine’s parents as Patrick McGrath, and Ann O'Brien. The index also shows that Catherine was born in Wiota Township, Wisconsin. I looked for, but didn’t find her birth index, or the marriage index for her father and mother. I looked for these at both the LDS and Ancestry.com website. You may want to look for them too in case I missed finding them.

But, I did locate Catherine and her family in the 1870, 1880, and 1900, Federal Census enumerations, as well as in the 1905 Wisconsin census. These enumerations were found at Ancestry.com.

You’ll see in the 1870 census below from Ancestry.com that 34 year old Patrick “McGath,” a farmer, has a real estate value of $3,000 and a personal estate value of $1,000. His 29 year old wife Ann is listed as keeping house. There are two children in the household, born in Wisconsin. These are 6 year old Catherine and 4 year old Amy. You’ll also notice that in the household enumerated just prior to Patrick and his family, is the family of 30 year old James and 23 year old Mary McGrath, both of Ireland. They have three children in the household. James and Patrick may have been brothers:

1870 United States Federal Census

Page No. 27}

SCHEDULE 1.-Inhabitants in Wiota, in the County of La Fayette, State
of Wisconsin, enumerated by me on the 8 day of August, 1870. J Shaddington, Ass't Marshal

Post Office: Wiota

Name, Age, Sex, Color, Occupation, Value of Real Estate, Value of Personal Estate, Place of Birth,
Father of Foreign Birth, Mother of Foreign Birth, Cannot Read, Cannot Write, Male Citizen of U.S. 21
years of age and upward

Patrick Mcgath, 34, Male, White, Farmer, $3000, $1000, Ireland, Parents of Foreign Birth, Male Citizen
Ann Mcgath, Female, 29, White, Keeping House, Ireland, Parents of Foreign Birth
Catharin Mcgath, 6, Female, White, Wis, Parents of Foreign Birth
Amy Mcgath, 4, Female, White, Parents of Foreign Birth

Household before Patrick Mcath

James McGrath, 30, Male, White, Farmer, $4500, $1100, Ireland, Parents of Foreign Birth, Male Citizen
Mary McGrath, 23, Female, White, Keeping House, Ireland, Parents of Foreign Birth
Catherine McGrath, 5, Female, White, Wis, Parents of Foreign Birth
Margaret McGrath, 3, Female, White, Female, White, Wis, Parents of Foreign Birth
James McGrath, 1, Male, White, Wis, Parents of Foreign Birth

Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Wiota, Lafayette, Wisconsin; Roll: M593_1722; Page: 556A; Image: 588; Family History Library Film: 553221.
____

The families of Patrick and James McGrath are also found together in the 1880 census for Wiota, Wisconsin. In this census Patrick and Anna’s youngest daughter is named Anna, rather than Amy:

1880 United States Federal Census

SCHEDULE 1.-Inhabitants in Town of Wiota, in the County of La Fayette, State of Wisconsin
enumerated by me on the 11th day of June 1880. Chas W. Scott, Enumerator

Name, Color, Sex, Age, Relationship, Marital Status, Oxccupation, If Attended School, Place of Birth, Place of Birth of Father, Place of Birth of Mother

Patrick Mc Grath, White, Male, 43, Farmer, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland
Anna Mc Grath, White, Female, 40, Keeping House, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland
Catherine Mc Grath, White, Female, 16, Attending School, Attended School During the year, Wisconsin, Ireland, Ireland
Anna Mc Grath, White, Female, 15, Attending School, Attended School During the year, Wisconsin, Ireland, Ireland

Household before Patrick McGrath

James McGrath, White, Male, 41, Farmer, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland
Mary Mcgrath, White, Female, 34, Keeping House, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland
Catherine McGrath, White, Female, 15, Daughter, Attending School, Attended School During the year, Wisconsin, Ireland, Ireland
Margaret McGrath, White, Female, 13, Daughter, Attending School, Attended School During the year, Wisconsin, Ireland, Ireland
James Mcgrath, White, Male, 11, Son, Attending School, Attended School During the year, Wisconsin, Ireland, Ireland
William Mcgrath, White, Male, 8, Son, Attending School, Attended School During the year, Wisconsin, Ireland, Ireland
John McGrath, White, Male, 6, Son, Attending School, Attended School During the year, Wisconsin, Ireland, Ireland
Mary Mcgrath, White, Female, 2, Daughter, Wisconsin, Ireland, Ireland
James Orr, White, Male, 18, Farm Laborer, Wisconsin, Ireland, Ireland

Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: Wiota, Lafayette, Wisconsin; Roll: 1433; Family History Film: 1255433; Page: 227D; Enumeration District: 216
____

By the 1900 census Patrick and Ann McGrath have only one daughter in the household. This is 34 year old Catherine, who was born in Wisconsin in September of 1865. The census also shows her 63 year old father Patrick was born in Ireland in March of 1837, while her 59 year old mother was born in Ireland in November of 1840. Patrick and Ann are shown to have been married for 37 years as of 1900. This means they would have been married since about 1863. In the time they were married Ann is shown to have had two children, with only one alive. This means that their daughter Amy/Anna had died between the 1870 and 1880 census.

The 1900 enumeration further shows that Patrick and Anna immigrated to the U.S. in 1852. This means they would have married in the U.S., and not in Ireland

Also in the household is an orphan, 14 year old Joseph Wilson, born in Illinois in May of 1886.

1900 United States Federal Census

Township or other division of county: Town Wiota

Name of incorporated city, town, or village, within the above-named division___________________

Enumerated by me on the 2nd day of June 1900, Charles J. Campbell, Enumerator

Patrick McGrath, Head, White, Male, Born March 1837, 63, Married 37 years, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Immigrated 1852, 48 years in U.S., Farmer, owns Farm
Ann McGrath, Wife, White, Female, Born November 1840, 59, Married 37 years, 2 children born, 1 child alive, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Immigrated 1852, 48 years in U.S.
Catharine McGrath, Daughter, White, Female, Born Sept 1865, 34, Single, Wisconsin, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland,
Joseph Wilson, Orphan, White, Male, Born May 1886, 14, Single, Illinois, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Attended school 9 months

Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Wiota, Lafayette, Wisconsin; Roll: 1796; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 0107; FHL microfilm: 1241796.
____

The 1905 Wisconsin State Census shows that Patrick and Ann, and their 35 year old unmarried daughter Katie, are still living in Wiota. This census also shows that Patrick and Ann have an adopted son. This son is 26 year old Charles Butler, who was born in the U.S., but whose parents were from Ireland.

Also in the household are two servants, 18 year old Andrew Tagin and 15 year old John Scalon:

Wisconsin, State Census, 1895 and 1905

Schedule No. 1-Population.

Enumeration of the Inhabitants in the Town of Wiota in the county
of La Fayette, State of Wisconsin on the 1st day of June 1905

A.J. Lovelace, Clerk

Name, Relation, Color, Sex, Age, Marital Status, Place of Birth, Place of Birth of Parents, Occupation, MOnths Employed, Months Employed, Home Owned or Rented, Owned Free or Mortgage, Farm or Home

Patrick A. McGrath, Head, Male, 68, Married, Ireland, Ireland, Farmer, Employed 12 months, Farm owned free of mortgage
Ann McGrath, Wife, Female, 64, Married, Ireland, Ireland
Katie Mcgrath, Daughter, Female, 35, Single, U.S., Ireland, Farm laborer, Worked 12 months
Chas Butler, Adopted Son, Male, 26, Single, U.S., Ireland, Student
Andrew Tagin, Servant, Male, 18, Single, U.S., Ireland, Farm Laborer, Employed 8 months
John Scalon, Servant, Male, 15, Single, U.S., U.S., Farm Laborer, Employed 8 months

Source Information:
Ancestry.com.. Wisconsin, State Censuses, 1895 and 1905 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2007.
____

I had seen the name Charles Butler before, and then remembered that when I was at the 1900 enumeration for the McGraths in Wiota, I had noticed a person by the name of Charles Butler living in the household of 40 year old William and 39 year old Fannie O’Donal. This household was enumerated just before Patrick, Ann, and Catherine McGrath, and Joseph Wilson, who the census shows was an orphan..

In the 1900 census Charles Butler is listed as a 21 year old farm laborer, born in New York in January of 1879. Tiswell, you must be proud of your McGrath and Kinane ancestors, knowing that they took on the responsibilities of caring for children that weren’t their own.

Next I located Find A Grave entries at Ancestry.com for the burials of 72 year old Anna McGrath (1912); and 77 year old Patrick McGrath (1913). These records show they are buried in Monroe, Green County, Wisconsin:

Web: Wisconsin, Find A Grave Index, 1836-2011

Name: Anna Mcgrath
Birth Date: 1840
Age at Death: 72
Death Date: 1912
Burial Place: Monroe, Green County, Wisconsin, USA

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Web: Wisconsin, Find A Grave Index, 1836-2011 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.

Original data: Find A Grave. Find A Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi: accessed 5 February 2012.
____

Web: Wisconsin, Find A Grave Index, 1836-2011

Name: Patrick Mcgrath
Birth Date: 1836
Age at Death: 77
Death Date: 1913
Burial Place: Monroe, Green County, Wisconsin, USA

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Web: Wisconsin, Find A Grave Index, 1836-2011 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.

Original data: Find A Grave. Find A Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi: accessed 5 February 2012.
____

I can’t be sure that these Find A Grave entries pertain to Catherine’s parents, but they may. You can view the gravestone for Patrick and Anna at the Find A Grave link at: http://tinyurl.com/chfgdz2

This link shows they are buried in Calvary Cemetery. The gravestone shows that both Anna and Patrick died in 1912, rather than in 1912 and 1913 respectively, as noted in the indexes above.

I also found a Patrick and Anna McGrath in the 1910 census living at 258 Market Street, Monroe City, Green County, Wisconsin. Again, these may be the parents of Catherine McGrath Kinane, but I can’t be sure, though Lafayette and Green counties border one another in southern Wisconsin, and are on the northern Illinois border.

The 1910 census shows that 72 year old Patrick and 69 year old Anna had been married for 44 years. The census also appears to show that Anna had 7 children, but that only one of the children was still left alive. I placed a ? after the 7, as I can’t be entirely sure if the number does represent a 7, or a 2. We know from previous records that Patrick and Ann had two children.

The census also notes that Patrick is living on his own income:

1910 United States Federal Census

County: Green

Township Or Other Division Of County___________________________

Name of Incorporated Place: Monroe City

Enumerated By Me On The 19 Day Of April, 1910. Emery Campbell, Enumerator

Street: 258 Market Street

Patrick Mc Grath, Head, Male, White, 72, M1, 44 years, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, Own Income, Rents House
Anna McGrath, Wife, Female, White, 69, M1, 44 years, 7? children born, 1 living, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland, None

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Monroe Ward 2, Green, Wisconsin; Roll: T624_1704; Page: 4B; Enumeration District: 0012; ; FHL microfilm: 1375717.
____

BRIDGET BRITT

Up until now I hadn’t done much research concerning Michael Kinane’s wife Bridget Britt. We know they were married in Chicago by the Rev. Daniel H. Riordan at St John’s Church on February 18, 1896. At the time of the marriage Michael was 28 and Bridget 26. Her age of 26 in 1896 places her year of birth in 1870. But, the 1900 census below shows that Bridget was 35 years old, placing her year of birth in 1865. On the other hand, her 1904 death index lists her age as 38 with a birth year of 1866.

I believe you already have seen the 1900 census for Michael and Bridget Kinane and their two children, 2 year old Willie and 11 month old Jane, showing they were living in Wiota, Wisconsin. I’ve included the census below for easy access:

1900 United States Federal Census

Township or other division of county: Town Wiota

Name of incorporated city, town, or village, within the above-named division___________________

Enumerated by me on the 16th day of June 1900, Charles J. Campbell, Enumerator

Michael Kinane, Head, White, Male, March 1866, 34, Married, Married 4 years, Ireland, Ireland, ireland, 1889, 11 years in U.S. Pa
Bridget Kinane, Wife, White, Female, May 1865, 35, Married, Married 4 years, Ireland, Ireland, ireland, 1889, 11 years in U.S.
Willie, Son, White, Male, April 1898, 2, Single, Wisconsin, Ireland, Ireland
Jane, Daughter, White, ?, June 1899, 11/12, Single, Wisconsin, Ireland, Ireland

Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Wiota, Lafayette, Wisconsin; Roll: 1796; Page: 10B; Enumeration District: 0107; FHL microfilm: 1241796.
____

Indexes from Ancestry.com shows the births of four children named Bridget Bitt between 1860 and 1870 in Ireland. None of the births was recorded in 1865, but two were recorded in May of 1864. These are for Bridget Britt, daughter of Edmond Britt and Mary Cuddihy. Bridget was born in Callan, Kilkenny on 3 May 1864. The second index is for Mary Britt, daughter of William Britt and Bridget Minnane. Bridget was born on May 10, 1864 in Bansha, Tipperary. In my first reply we saw that Patrick Kinane, son of Michael Kinane and Hanora Cummins, was born in the Bansah area.

The four indexes are below:

Bridget Britt 3 May 1864 Callan, Kilkenny, Ireland Edmond Britt, Mary Cuddihy

Bridget Britt 10 May 1864 Bansha, Tipperary, Ireland William Britt, Bridget Minnane

Bridget Britt 6 Jul 1866 Callan, Kilkenny, Ireland Thomas Britt, Johana Kelly

Bridget Britt 10 Jan 1870 Mullinahone, Tipp, Ireland John Britt, Ellen Cody

Source Information:

____

You would need to find a record in the United States that gives the names of Bridget’s parents, to find if any of the indexes seen above, pertain to her. Her 1904 death index did not provide the names of her parents, but her full death record may. There is always the possibility it may not, however.

Concerning the children of Michael Kinane and Bridget Britt, we know from the 1910 census that in the household with them were three of their children. These were 12 year old Willie, 10 year old James, and 9 year old Thomas. By this time their son John Edmund Kinane had been adopted by William C. Kinane and family, and was living in Chicago with them.

These make a total of four children. But Ancestry.com indexes show that Michael and Bridget had a t least five children, all born in Wiota, Wisconsin. Only one of them, William, is named. He was born on 25 April 1898. The index also shows Michael and Bridget had a child born on 30 January 1897. I couldn’t find out what this child’s name was, but this child is not in the household with the family in the 1900 census.

The Ancestry.com index also shows a child born on 25 June 1899. I believe this child is James. I also suspect that the 11 month old “Jane” Kinane in the 1900 census, was actually James. Another child in the Ancestry.com index was born on 26 February 1903. At this point I didn’t know who this child could be, but I didn’t think it was Thomas, as the 1910 census gives his age as 9, placing his year of birth in 1901. The last child in the index was born on 10 September 1904. This would John Edmund Kinane.

Please see below for the birth indexes of the Kinane children:

Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908

Name Birth Date Birth Place Parents

Kinane 30 Jan 1897 Wiota, Lafayette, Wisconsin Michael Kinane

William Kinane 25 Apr 1898 Wiota, Lafayette, Wisconsin Michael Kinane, Bridget Britt

Kinane 25 Jun 1899 Wiota, Lafayette, Wisconsin Michael Kinane, Bridget Britts

Kinane 26 Feb 1903 Wiota, Lafayette, Wisconsin Michael Kinane, Bridget Britts

Kinane 10 Sep 1904 Wiota, Lafayette, Wisconsin Michael Kinane, Bridget Britts

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.

Original data:
"Wisconsin Births and Christenings, 1826–1926." Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2009, 2010. Index entries derived from digital copies of original and compiled records.
____

Next, I found the death index of the Kinane child born in 1903. Like the birth index however, the death index did not provide a first name of the child, but shows the child was born in Wiota on 26 February 1903, and died in Wiota on 1 March 1903. The index shows the gender of the child was female, and that her parents were Michael Kinane and Bridget Britts:

Kinane, "Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968"

name: Kinane
burial date:
burial place: Argyle
death date: 01 Mar 1903
death place: Wiota, Lafayette, Wi
birth date: 26 Feb 1903
birthplace: Wiota, Wi
race: White
marital status: Single
spouse's name:
father's name: Michael Kinane
father's birthplace: Ireland
mother's name: Bridget Britts
mother's birthplace: Ireland
indexing project (batch) number: B06531-9
reference number: p496 cn12

source film number: 1306209 = Lafayette County v. 1 - v. 2 1876-1907 Langlade County v. 1 1882-1907 Lincoln County v. 1, p. 1-239 1875-1900

Collection: Kinane, "Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XLCK-7GG

Citing this Record
"Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XLCK-7GG : accessed 13 Dec 2012), Kinane, 26 Feb 1903.
____

I also found 39 year old widower Michael Kinane and three of his sons, William, James, and Thomas, in the 1905 Wisconsin State Census. By this time Michael’s wife Bridget had been deceased since the previous year, 1904. His son John Edmund would have been alive in 1905, but is not in the household with his family. He may have been living with William C. Kinane by 1905:

Wisconsin, State Census, 1895 and 1905

Schedule No. 1-Population.

Enumeration of the Inhabitants in the Town of Wiota in the county
of La Fayette, State of Wisconsin on the 1st day of June 1905

A.J. Lovelace, Clerk

Name, Relation, Color, Sex, Age, Marital Status, Place of Birth, Place of Birth of Parents, Occupation, Months Employed, Months Employed, Home Owned or Rented, Owned Free or Mortgage, Farm or Home

Michael Kinane, Head, Male, 39, Widower, Ireland, Ireland, Farmer, Employed past 12 months, Owns farm with mortgage
William Kinane, Son, Male, 7, U.S., Ireland
James Kinane, Son, Male, 6, U.S., Ireland
Thomas Kinane, Son, Male, 5, U.S., Ireland
Thos Blaine, Servant, Male, 29, Married, U.S., U.S., Farmer, Employed past 12 months
Vina Blaine, Wife, Female, 19, U.S., U.S., Germany, Domestic, Employed past 12 months

Source Information:
Ancestry.com.. Wisconsin, State Censuses, 1895 and 1905 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2007.
____

The 1940 census shows that 74 year old widower Michael Kinane is living in the household of his son, 41 year old William, and William’s 42 year old wife Agnes R. Kinane, in Wiota Towsnhip, Wisconsin. In the household is William’s sister in law, 45 year old Mary E. Kammerade. Kammerade is probably Agnes’s maiden name as well.

A copy of the census can be found at the LDS website link at: http://tinyurl.com/c8cex4b

Next, I looked for a Wisconsin death index as well as a Social Security death index for Michael Kinane, but didn’t find them. But, there are Social Security death indexes for Michael’s son William, and William’s wife Agnes that you can access at Ancestry.com if you wish to view them. Agnes died in 1977, while William died in 1995. The index shows his last residence was Janesville, Rock County, Wisconsin. He must have been about 97 years old when he died.

Kind Regards Tiswell,

Dave
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions