Search for content in message boards

Area Nelson, B.C. person Chas. or Charles AUSTIN 1917

Area Nelson, B.C. person Chas. or Charles AUSTIN 1917

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 9:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: AUSTIN/Aston/Auston
Hello to All. I need help with Canada's British Columbia records.

I need help locating an American Citizen in Nelson, British Columbia in the year 1917. The person is my Great grandfather. His name is Charles (A.) AUSTIN, born 1863 in New York. His father was a Sands H. AUSTIN whom died at Ortings Soldiers Home in Orting, Washington state, May 1917.

The Soldiers Home sent several letters trying to locate his son Charles Austin. Some letters were sent to Nelson, B.C. and Salmo, British Columbia.

Most often I find Charles listed as "Chas." Austin. He most often states he was born in New York as were both his parents. Charles worked as a "Woodsman" most all his life, so I am guessing that he is in Canada working in some form, in the woods.

I have attached one of 15 pages of Sands H. Austin's military papers found at Washington states Digital archives, www.digitalarchives.wa.org. Search for "Sands Austin", no middle initial will result in two records. One a death and the other Military records. This is where I found the attached document.

One other thing I was wondering; What part of Canada is Nelson located in??? I have looked at maps, I know "where" it is, BUT "what is it called" in geographical terms?

Is it? The "Rocky Mountain" Disrict? Peace River District? Kootenay Disrict? Or The Okanagan Similkameen District?

Any info gladly considered, and muchly appreciated.
Thank you, Chris
Attachments:

Re: Area Nelson, B.C. person Chas. or Charles AUSTIN 1917

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 7:51AM GMT
Surnames: AUSTIN
Hi Do a Google search for Nelson BC - a beautiful city/town
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson,_British_Columbia
http://www.hellobc.com/nelson.aspx

Salmo BC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmo,_British_Columbia

Chas. is an abreviation of the given name Charles.
eg same as Tom is Thomas. Bob is Robert - Jim is James etc.

Charles A. AUSTIN is your Great Grandfather - born 1863 in New York U.S.A? What is your source of for this information?

What name does the letter A. Stand for ?

Have you searched USA Census 1920 1930 1940?

Where do the alternate spellings of ASTON/ AUSTON ? come from ?

Charles was your Great GRandfather - Where were your Grandparents born, settled etc - Where were your parents born settled ? PERHAPS you can find some connections - through family obituaries etc.
Name of your GGrandmother - etc

Re: Area Nelson, B.C. person Charles AUSTIN 1917

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 5:14AM GMT
Edited: 7 Jun 2014 9:18PM GMT
Surnames: Austin
Re: Area Nelson, B.C. person Charles AUSTIN 1917ee on Ancestry.com. It is titled, The Davis Harvey Kirsten tree.

Another source is Charles' death certificate.
Third source is www.digitalarchives.wa.org.

Thank you for the links to Beautiful British Columbia, I had already done all that. Was searching for 'Local history'. Local lore. Like, 'what kind of businesses where in production'? What was new? in Nelson, B.C. during that time???

Charles had two kids with my Great Grandma Lucy. One died without issue. No children. Other was my grandmother. Both were born in Oregon.
Terrebonne, Oregon is where Charles was living when 2 kids were born, one in, 1913 & 1915.

Thanks for all the info. I think you had more questions then I did.

Can you tell me one thing, what 'Lumber' Companies were in the Nelson area in the years 1916 to 1917?

Looking for information about Charles Albert Austin in Nelson, B.C. What was he doing in Canada?? Any relatives? Was he a Draft Dodger, some one who went to Canada so he didn't have to be drafted?

Thank u
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions