Search for content in message boards

Thomas Cooney, Galway, Ireland, Boston, MA. & King, Washington

Thomas Cooney, Galway, Ireland, Boston, MA. & King, Washington

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 11:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Dec 2012 11:55PM GMT
Surnames: Cooney, Connolly, Mulkerrins
We are looking for the descendants of Thomas Cooney, Born April 1864, in Inishbarra, Lettermore, Co. Galway, Ireland.
His parents Michael & Mary Mulkerrins Cooney. His wife Ellen Connolly, born December 1862, Carna, Co. Galway, Ireland. Married 1884. Their children born in Boston, Massachusetts: John A. on June 15, 1885, Mary E. on October 1886, Patrick Paul on March 1888, Thomas James on October 1889, Sarah on November 1891, Coleman J. on June 1894, Michael Frank on Feb 1898.
Thomas died on December 25, 1929, in Kirkland King, Washington.
Thomas and Ellen Cooney lived in Boston, Massachusetts, in the 1900 census and in Seattle, Ward 14, King Washington in 1910 Census.

Re: Thomas Cooney, Galway, Ireland, Boston, MA. & King, Washington

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 5:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cooney, Connolly, Conneely
Heidi,

Your Post very definitely caught my interest. I have been researching the families of the Carna parish for 15 years.

Firstly, I looked at the 28 Nov 1884 Boston marriage of Thomas Cooney & Ellen Connolly. Ellen's parents are shown to be Patrick & Sarah. I have only one family that fit this criteria: that of Patrick Conneely & Sarah Conneely who were having children in the 1850s and 1860s. For the most part, the family lived in the section of the Kilkieran townland named Bontroughard.

The odd thing is that I could find no daughter Ellen in the records for this family. And I even rechecked with the Galway West Family History Center on that. But I do have a daughter Evelyn in my data who was baptized 02 Oct 1856. In all my years of researching the parish, I have never before or since come across the name Evelyn in any other family. I mention this because I wonder at the possibility that this Evelyn is actually your Ellen - the wife of Thomas Cooney.

The 6 year birth difference (your 1862 vs my 1856) should not be considered a major impediment to my theory. Most folks born in western Ireland at that time had no real idea of how old they were. Years of research have shown that most folks estimate their age to be about 5 or so years younger than they really are.

Just passed along for information, but I would be happy to hear your thoughts. It may be easier to communicate with me directly by e-mail. My e-address is daveriley1@aol.com.

Regards,

Dave Riley
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
USA
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions