Search for content in message boards

Bittick immigrated from Wales

Bittick immigrated from Wales

Alice Dollahan (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BITTICK, BIDDIX, BITTICKS
According to my 2X great grandfather, Samuel G. Bittick, his great grandfather Francis (b 1759) immigrated to America from WALES with his brother Samuel. Looking for information on both Samuel and Francis. I would also like to know the origin and information on the Bittick surname. Any assisstance would be greatly appreciated by this Texas Native.

Re: Bittick immigrated from Wales

Posted: 30 Sep 2001 6:02AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2003 5:32AM GMT
You should repost your message on the Biddix bulletin boards. Most of the researchers are there.

Bitticks in Amarillo, Texas

Linda Bittick Hubbard (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2002 7:01PM GMT
Interesting--- there are many Bitticks in Amarillo.
Let m know if you can trace the name further than 1759??

Posted: 31 May 2005 6:06AM GMT
Edited: 4 Jun 2005 8:00AM GMT
The Bittick surname has three possible origins of which I am aware: 1. It is a German nickname derived from a Slavic word "ptak" meaning bird; 2. or, it originated in Durham County, England from an Old Norse term for a farmstead "by" and combined with the Old English term for a ditch or dike, "dic" (there are several place names in Durham spelled "Biddick" near or in Wearside but I have not been able to find them on any maps available to me); and 3. or it originated in Cornwall County, England from Old English "bi dic" meaing "by the ditch". I have not been able to find any reference to Bittick's (by any variation of the name) in Wales but there are some records of the name in Bodmin, Cornwall from the 16th and 17th centuries. Samuel may have shipped out of Wales or any other explanation for the Wales connection (my father always told me our ancestors had immigrated from Wales, but again, I cannot find the connection).

I am descended from Samuel Bittick (near as I can tell) born 1748 (or there abouts). I do not know the birthplace but I am trying to trace my lineage and the name as far back as I can. Not sure if this helps. At any rate, I am from the Arizona Bittick's.

Posted: 4 Jun 2005 6:37PM GMT
In addition to my last message: I have traced the Bittick name (in various forms) back to the 13th Century in Berkshire, England where it is variously spelled de Bydyk, de Bydik and de Bedyk (also without the Franco-Norman "de"). I still cannot find a Bittick connection to Wales even though my father, Joseph Butler Langley Hill Bittick, Sr., always told me our ancestors had come from Wales. His version was of two brothers, one unnamed who died a drunken bachelor and another named John. I am most curious about the origin of the Bittick name and my lineage back to Europe. I haven't found anything to contradict the last info I sent you and am open to any info anyone can supply.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions