Search for content in message boards

o'toole.murray

o'toole.murray

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 12:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
im trying to find info on my great grandfathers father,my gg name was william,he married bridget murray d/o james murray and mary woodhouse,gg father was born in ireland and i believe his wife was to,i am also trying to find my ggg name,any info would be appreciated,i dont see a lot of info about the o'tooles on here.
thanks elaine o'toolegray

Re: o'toole.murray

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 2:07PM GMT
Hello Elaine,

I’m not a descendant of the O’Tooles and Murrays, but found the marriage index for William O’Toole and Bridget Murray at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for County Galway West, showing they were married in the Clifden Roman Catholic Church in 1879. The index may pertain to the ancestors you are looking for.

The index is below:

1 match for the search criteria: O'Toole (plus variants) William 1879 Parish: CLIFDEN (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Galway (West)
Surname: O'Toole
First Name: William
Spouse's Surname: Murray
Spouse's First Name: Bridget
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1879

Parish/District: Parish: CLIFDEN (RC)
____

The IFHF homepage can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Before accessing indexes at the IFHF you’ll first have to register. Registration is free. You’ll also be able to access the marriage index for William and Bridget that I did for free, but you will be charged to obtain a transcription of the marriage from the IFHF. You’ll have to purchase credits with a credit card to obtain the transcriptions. The IFHF website will have more information about purchasing credits for baptism, as well as birth, marriage, and death or burial transcriptions.

I also found the civil registration marriage index for William and Bridget at the IFHF website for County Galway. The marriage was recorded in Clifden. Civil marriages from this time period traditionally included the names of the fathers of the groom and bride. But, the IFHF indexes will only return names of individuals that you submit to the search engine. It will not provide the names for anyone automatically, as sometimes happens at the Latter Day Saints website.

There are a few ways available to see if the first names of the fathers can be found in a civil marriage index. The first is through additional research. The second is to guess as to what they were. The third is to order a transcription of the marriage to find out what their names were.

I took a few guesses as to the first name of William’s father. The IFHF search engine accepted Michael. The revised index is below:

1 match for the search criteria: O'Toole (plus variants) William 1879 Parish: CLIFDEN (CR)

Spouse's Surname: Murray
Spouse's First Name: Bridget
Father's Surname: O'Toole
Father's First Name: Michael
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: CLIFDEN (CR)
____

You had stated in your post to the Ancestry.com message board for County Galway, that Bridget’s father was James Murray. With Bridget Murray as the primary partner in the marriage index, I wanted to see if the search engine accepted James as Bridget’s father. The search engine did:

1 match for the search criteria: Murray (plus variants) Bridget 1879 Parish: CLIFDEN (CR)

Surname: Murray
First Name: Bridget
Spouse's Surname: O'Toole
Spouse's First Name: William
Father's Surname: Murray
Father's First Name: James
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: Parish: CLIFDEN (CR)
____

The civil marriage transcription for William and Mary could provide you with additional information, which may include their place of residence of the couple, William’s occupation, the names of the witnesses to the marriage, and the name of the parish priest who married them. It’s also possible that only some, or none of this information will be found in the marriage index.

Next I wanted to see if I could find the birth and or baptism indexes for any children of William O’Toole and Bridget Murray at the IFHF website. I found one index. This is for the baptism of their son William, who was baptized in the Clifden Catholic Church in 1880:

1 match for the search criteria: O'Toole (plus variants) Michael 1880 Parish: CLIFDEN (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Galway (West)
First Name: Michael
Father's First Name: William
Mother's Surname: Murray
Mother's First Name: Bridget

Year: 1880

Parish/District: CLIFDEN (RC)
____

I now wanted to see if I could find a baptism index for William O’Toole at the IFHF website for Clifden, Galway West. William and Bridget were married in 1879, and so I figured that William would have been born sometime in the 1850s or early 1860s..

I found two baptism indexes recorded in the Clifden Catholic Church, both dated 1854. The IFHF search engine accepted Michael as the father in both indexes. I then guessed as to the first name of the mother of both William O’Tooles. The search engine in one of the indexes accepted Honor as the mother, while the search engine for the second baptism accepted Mary.

Both indexes follow:

1 match for the search criteria: O'Toole (plus variants) William 1854 Parish: CLIFDEN (RC)

Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name: Honor

Year: 1854

____

1 match for the search criteria: O'Toole (plus variants) William 1854 Parish: CLIFDEN (RC)

Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name: Mary

____

I generally don’t try to guess what the maiden name of a child’s mother is in baptism indexes. What I usually do however, is see if the maiden name of the mother of the children, may also be the surname of the father of the children. In this case both indexes accepted O’Toole as the mothers’ maiden names, though O’Toole may not have actually been their maiden names. It’s possible the priest who baptized the children recorded O’Toole, after the father, for the mother as well:

Mother's Surname: O'Toole
Mother's First Name: Honor

____

Mother's Surname: O'Toole

____

You would have to order the baptism transcriptions for both William O’Tooles to see if you can obtain any more information about them and their parents. The transcriptions should also provide you with the names of the godparents of the children.

The next step was to see if I could find the IFHF marriage index for a Michael O’Toole and Honor, and a Michael O’Toole and a Mary, recorded in the Clifden Catholic Church.

I found one index showing that a Michael O’Toole and a Mary were married in the Clifden Catholic Church in 1842. I don’t know however, if this couple would be the parents of your William O’Toole:

1 match for the search criteria: O'Toole (plus variants) Michael 1842 Parish: CLIFDEN (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Mayo
First Name: Michael
Spouse's Surname:
Spouse's First Name: Mary
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1842

Parish/District: Parish: CLIFDEN (RC)
____

You would have to order the marriage transcription for Michael and Mary to find out what Mary’s maiden name was.

Next I wanted to see if I could locate more information about Bridget Murray. I looked for her baptism index at the IFHF website but didn’t find it. But I did uncover the marriage index for her parents, James Murray and Mary Woodhouse, showing the couple were married in the Oughaval, County Mayo, Catholic Church in 1851. This town is also spelled Aughaval, and is approximately 100 mile northeast of Clifden up the N59 and N17 dual carriageway, but may have been an even longer distance in the 19th century before modern and straighter highways were built:

1 match for the search criteria: Murray (plus variants) James 1851 Parish: OUGHAVAL RC PARISH (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Mayo
First Name: James
Spouse's Surname: Woodhouse
Spouse's First Name: Mary
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1851

Parish/District: Parish: OUGHAVAL RC PARISH (RC)
____

I only found one index for a child of James Murray and Mary Woodhouse at the IFHF. This is for the baptism of their son Bernard, who was christened in the Clifden, Galway, Catholic Church in 1876. This would have taken place 25 years after his parents were married, indicating at least that his mother was likely in her teens when she had married James Murray:

1 match for the search criteria: Murray (plus variants) Bernard 1876 Parish: CLIFDEN (RC)

First Name: Bernard
Father's Surname: Murray
Father's First Name: James
Mother's Surname: Woodhouse

Year: 1876

____

I then wanted to see if I could find birth or baptism records for more children of James Murray and Mary Woodhouse at other websites. I located the civil birth indexes for six children of James and Mary at the Latter Day Saints (LDS) website at: https://www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records

The indexes show that four of the births were recorded in Clifden, Galway, while the last two indexes only state Galway for the place of birth. These births are for Michael (1865); Mary Anne (1867); Joseph (1870); Joseph Bernard (1871); Thomas Francis (1874); and Bernard Francis (1876).

The 1876 civil birth index for Bernard Francis would also be the same child found in the IFHF baptism index for 1876.

You’ll notice there is a birth index for a Joseph Murray (1870), and a Joseph Bernard Murray (1871). This means it is likely the Joseph Murray born in 1870, had died.

Each of the indexes is accompanied by an LDS source microfilm number. Copies of the birth records can be found in these microfilms:

Michael Murray, "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881"

name: Michael Murray
baptism/christening date:
baptism/christening place:
birth date: 11 Aug 1865
birthplace: 0205,CLIFDEN,GALWAY,IRELAND
death date:
name note:
race:
father's name: James Murray
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's name: Mary Woodhouse
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: C70126-5
system origin: Ireland-ODM
reference number:

source film number: 101113 = Quarterly returns of births in Ireland, 1864-1955.

Collection: Michael Murray, "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F516-BLG

Citing this Record
"Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F516-BLG : accessed 08 Feb 2013), Michael Murray, 11 Aug 1865; citing reference , FHL microfilm 101113.
____

Mary Anne, "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881"

name: Mary Anne
baptism/christening place: 210, CLIFDEN, GAL, IRE
birth date: 29 Nov 1867
birthplace: Clifden, Gal, Ire
death date:
name note:
race:
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: C70133-1
system origin: Ireland-VR
reference number: 2:1JJ2460

source film number: 101158 = Quarterly returns of births in Ireland, 1864-1955.

Collection: Mary Anne, "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FP1B-1XX

Citing this Record
"Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FP1B-1XX : accessed 08 Feb 2013), Mary Anne, 29 Nov 1867; citing reference 2:1JJ2460, FHL microfilm 101158.
____

Joseph, "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881"

name: Joseph
baptism/christening place: 231, CLIFDEN, GAL, IRE
birth date: 30 Jan 1870
death date:
name note:
race:
father's name: James Murrey
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: C70141-4
reference number: 2:NCQVPW

source film number: 101203 = Quarterly returns of births in Ireland, 1864-1955.

Collection: Joseph, "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPY6-HLY

Citing this Record
"Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPY6-HLY : accessed 08 Feb 2013), Joseph, 30 Jan 1870; citing reference 2:NCQVPW, FHL microfilm 101203.
____

Joseph Bernard, "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881"

name: Joseph Bernard
baptism/christening place: 203, CLIFDEN, GAL, IRE
birth date: 14 Sep 1871
death date:
name note:
race:
father's name: James Murrey
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: C70146-2
reference number: 2:FLRCZK

source film number: 255829 = Quarterly returns of births in Ireland, 1864-1955.

Collection: Joseph Bernard, "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5FZ-ZZ4

Citing this Record
"Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5FZ-ZZ4 : accessed 08 Feb 2013), Joseph Bernard, 14 Sep 1871; citing reference 2:FLRCZK, FHL microfilm 255829.
____

Thomas Francis Murray, "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881"

name: Thomas Francis Murray
birth date: 13 May 1874
birthplace: Galway, Ireland
death date:
name note:
race:
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: C70156-3
system origin: Ireland-EASy
reference number: v 9-1 p 196

source film number: 255904 = Quarterly returns of births in Ireland, 1864-1955.

Collection: Thomas Francis Murray, "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGCR-VLK

Citing this Record
"Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGCR-VLK : accessed 08 Feb 2013), Thomas Francis Murray, 13 May 1874; citing reference v 9-1 p 196, FHL microfilm 255904.
____

Bernard Francis Murray, "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881"

name: Bernard Francis Murray
birth date: 02 Feb 1876
birthplace: Galway, Ireland
death date:
name note:
race:
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's name: Mary Murray Woodhouse
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: C00575-0
system origin: Ireland-ODM
reference number:

source film number: 255948 = Quarterly returns of births in Ireland, 1864-1955.

Collection: Bernard Francis Murray, "Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881"
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRS7-5JF

Citing this Record
"Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRS7-5JF : accessed 08 Feb 2013), Bernard Francis Murray, 02 Feb 1876; citing reference , FHL microfilm 255948.
____

If you don’t want to order LDS microfilms containing the births of the Murray children, you can alternatively order the birth records from the General Register Office (GRO), located in Roscommon Town, County Roscommon.

For information about ordering civil birth, marriage, and death records, and the costs involved, go to the GRO website at: www.groireland.ie/

Best Wishes Elaine,

Dave Boylan

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 1:38AM GMT
Surnames: OTOOLE,murray
Thanks Dave so much that was awesome of you,I appreciate

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 4:39AM GMT
You're welcome Elaine.

Best Wishes,