Search for content in message boards

Patrick Scullin of Ballyscullion, Derry, Ireland

Patrick Scullin of Ballyscullion, Derry, Ireland

Posted: 8 Feb 2011 7:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Searching for descendants of Patrick Scullion (1835) of Ballyscullion, Co. Derry, Ireland. He married Mary Maloney (1837). They settled in Hamtramck, Michigan. Their children included: Simon (1866), Hugh (1867), William (1873, and Mary (1870) who married Thomas Clancy.

If anyone has any info, I'd appreciate hearing from you. My great grandfather was Simon Scullin (1839), brother of Patrick (1835). You can also reach me at Truecelt36@yahoo.com Any info will help. Marge

Re: Patrick Scullin of Ballyscullion, Derry, Ireland

Posted: 8 Feb 2011 11:22PM GMT
There were 40 people named Scullion living in Ballyscullion west (ie the Derry side of the Bann) in the 1901 census. Note also Scullin which will be a variation of it.

Presumably some of these people may be related to your family.

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Bellag...

And again in 1911:

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Bellag...

Posted: 9 Feb 2011 4:07PM GMT
Thanks for you help. Several Scullin/Scullions look to be of great interest. I'll check them out. Regards, Marge

Posted: 9 Feb 2011 4:30PM GMT
Marge,

Check also Griffiths Valuation. At a quick glance I can see Simon, Patrick and a Phillip Scullion all renting houses and land in Ballyscullion west around 1862. (No Scullin entries).

www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=n...

Elwyn

Posted: 9 Feb 2011 5:26PM GMT
Elwyn
Thanks again for the Griffith's Valuation info. I did a quick look and will spend more time at it later. Anything else you find I'll be delighted to receive and hear from you. All the best, Marge

Posted: 9 Feb 2011 9:28PM GMT
Marge,

I can see 8 Scullions living in Ballyscullion in the current telephone directory. The modern address is Ballyscullion Rd, Bellaghy, Co. Derry BT45. And there’s one Scullion in Ballyscullion Lane which is presumably a side road off Ballyscullion Rd.

www.ukphonebook.com/

You might want top contact them, though my experience is that unless they happen to be intersted in their ancestry, few people here can go back more than 2 generations, so you may have to do the connecting.

Elwyn

Posted: 9 Feb 2011 10:32PM GMT
Elwyn, Thanks again for the additional info. I'm pouring through my Scullin/Scullion lists. I know several families are still living in the Ballyscullion/Bellaghy area.....now I've just got to find out who they are.

I was there last June, just didn't know there were relatives living there. I did meet with two cousins from the other side of the family (from Greenlough)and had lunch in Portglenone.

You seem very knowledgeable, are you a genealogist or just many years ahead of me at searching out your family's history? Are you located in Derry? I'm in New Jersey.

Thanks again, Marge

Posted: 10 Feb 2011 12:19AM GMT
Marge,

I am not a professional researcher, just do it for a hobby. But I have been doing Irish research for a few years now. I live in Randalstown, Co Antrim just a mile or two from Toome and I know the area you are interested in. I tend to watch the Antrim & Derry boards for any queries I can assist with.

If you want the names and addresses of the Scullions in Ballyscullion I’ll get them for you. I don’t want to paste them here for obvious reasons. But if you PM me, I’ll let you have them. (I don’t have an Ancestry account so I can’t PM you, but I can reply to one you send me).

Elwyn

Posted: 10 Feb 2011 7:17PM GMT
Hi Elwyn,Thanks again for the reply. I'm still a beginner at the computer and definitely with the research. The PM had me puzzled for a while. But, to answer your question, I'd like to take you up on your offer if it isn't any trouble to you. If I didn't mention it previously, you can also reach me at Truecelt36@yahoo.com if you have access. I check that site more frequently.

My Scullins were originally Scullion. Seems my great grandfather dropped the "o" when he landed on these shores. My McCloskey and Stinson families are also from the same general area (Greenlough and Anaghorish/Artrea respectively). Marge
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions