Search for content in message boards

John Lloyd Mclaughlin/Leiber

John Lloyd Mclaughlin/Leiber

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 7:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mclaughlin - Leiber
Am seeking info., re Elfriede Leiber. Born 14th August 1920, Lower Saxony, possibly Osnabruck.
Found her way to England between 1920 and 1951. Worked as a nurse at Elizabeth Garret Anderson Hospital, London until 1952 (?). Emigrated to Canada on 16th Sept., 1959 sailing on SS Saxonia docking in Montreal. Married a John Lloyd Mclaughlin who died 29 Jun 1979 in New Westminster, British Columbia.
Any info would be helpful. EGAH refuse to divulge any info due to privacy laws.

Re: John Lloyd Mclaughlin/Leiber McLAUGHLIN, LEIBER,Elfriede

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 9:28PM GMT
Surnames: McLAUGHLIN, LEIBER

John Lloyd Mclaughlin Age:67 Event:Death
Place New Westminster
Date:1979 6 29 (Yr/Mo/Day)
Reg. Number:1979-09-010678
Microfilm #:B13596 (GSU # 2051231)

Filmed REGISTRATION of DEATH Can be viewed online at
Royal BC Museum & Archive site
http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Genealogy/Adva...

The registration states death at Royal Columbian Hospital in New West - The Actual residence was in West Vancouver.
It is possible that Elfriede McLAUGHLIN nee LEIBER - married again?
John Lloyd McLAUGHLIN appears to have been married previously
in 1933 in New Westminster BC

Obituary may help with names and locations of other family members at the time.

Cheers, Stella

Re: John Lloyd Mclaughlin/Leiber

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 1:11AM GMT
I am now leaving for the New West Library and see if I can find a obit in the local New West Paper. If I find one, I will upload it for you.

Mike

Re: John Lloyd Mclaughlin/Leiber McLAUGHLIN, LEIBER,Elfriede

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 10:01AM GMT
Surnames: John Lloyd Mclaughlin/Leiber McLAUGHLIN, LEIBER,Elfriede
Thank you so much for the information. I don't know if Elfriede married again as she would have been 59 at the time of Johns death and he was her first husband. I feel this woman - my adopted sister's mother - is like a wilo-the- wisp. I think I have found a piece of info & them woosh she's gone. I wonder if she and John had any children which would give my sister half-siblings.
I feel I need to stress that family meetings, reunions, are not the purpose of my quest. I want to give my sister her background as a gift. We are both adopted and when you are adopted you feel like a rootless tree. Just planted somewhere with no roots to hold you in place.
Thank you for the time you have spent.
Time is the most valuable thing you can give someone as it can never be recaptured.
Feona King

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 12:08PM GMT
Surnames: John Lloyd Mclaughlin/Leiber
You are just so kind.
Thank you.
It is easy to forget that not everything is available on line. Living in Tennessee USA it's a little difficult to access info kept locally to an event.
I feel Elfriede - my adopted sister's mother - is like a wilo-the-wisp. I think I have found a piece of info & them woosh she's gone. I wonder if she and John had any children which would give my sister half-siblings. I know she was married to John at the time of his death as she is listed as his spouse, however I think he was married before and had a wife named Thelma who did not die until 2000. That being the case there would be divorce papers but they are within the BC family court papers which according to what I have read are confidential. Finding out when the divorce took place would give me an inkling regarding when John and Elfriede got married and whether children were a possibility. Elfriede was 39 when she arrived in Canada so time was not on her side.
I feel I need to stress that family meetings, reunions, are not the purpose of my quest. I want to give my sister her background as a gift. We are both adopted and when you are adopted you feel like a rootless tree. Just planted somewhere with nothing to hold you in place.
Anyway thank you for the time you have spent.
'Time is the most valuable thing you can give someone as it can never be recaptured.'
Feona King

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 2:13AM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2013 2:18AM GMT
Hello Feona,

I'm adopted too so know exactly what you're talking about. I found both of my birth parents (mom in 1983 and dad's family last year). When and where was your sister born?

I did a little searching and came across the obituary (see below) for John Lloyd McLaughlin's son from his first marriage, who lived in Victoria, BC. I live just outside of Victoria (and used to live in Vancouver) so took the liberty of calling Naila Reader, John Lloyd McLaughlin's daughter mentioned in the obit. I told her I was trying to locate Elfriede for relatives back in Europe and had found the obit and took a long shot. She was very gracious and said she didn't know what became of Elfriede after her dad died. She said John's sister might have known what Elfriede did during the first few months after John died but did not stay in touch with her after that. Unfortunately the sister passed away last year. So I'm afraid John's first family is of no help.

If John and Elfriede had had any children of their own Naida would have referred me to them as she was trying to be as helpful as possible.

Because of the circumstances of John's death there may be a newspaper article about it. I'll see if I can find anything. He did leave a will, #221769 - I'll try and find out if there's a way to get a copy.

I did a search of everyone named Elfriede who has died in BC up to 1991 but did not find a match. I also did a search of obits for BC newspapers, which goes back about 10 years, but not there either. So she may have moved away and/or may still be alive.

The house at the address on John's death certificate, 592 St Andrews Rd, West Vancouver, would have been extremely nice in 1979 - it's in an area called The British Properties. Most of the houses there were built in the 50's & 60's and when people buy them now they tear them down and build new ones (nice to be rich, lol). Anyway, the house sold about a year and a half ago. It would be interesting to find out who was living there when it sold and do a history of owners. I'll see if that's possible. Here's the listing:

http://www.thevlist.com/vlist/property_detail.php?code=&...

I'll keep you posted on anything else I'm able to find.

Cheers,

Soosi

MCLAUGHLIN, Kenneth Lloyd George The much loved son of Thelma Bytolan and the late John Lloyd McLaughlin, died suddenly in Victoria on November 16, 2005. Ken will be missed by his loving children Lisa Van Acker (Burt), John (Chris), Darren and grandchildren Victor, Amanda, Cory and Landon. Ken is survived by his sister Naida Reader (Peter), nephew Geoffrey (Karen), their children Chelsea and Latham and numerous cousins. Ken was a loving, caring man and touched many lives in his long struggle through life. He will be missed. A memorial service will be held on Friday, November 25, 2005 at 1:00 pm at McCall Bros, 1400 Vancouver St., Victoria, B.C. 178051 Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 11/23/2005.

Posted: 10 Apr 2013 11:36AM GMT
Surnames: John Lloyd Mclaughlin/Leiber
Thank you so much for dedicating your time to this. I am most grateful.
My sister was born in Surrey England and has her birth record so we know that Elfriede was in Surrey in the 1950's and we also know that she was a nurse at the Elizabeth Garret Anderson Hospital in London. That is how I found she had emigrated to Canada.
Reading your research it struck me as rather sad that Johns daughter did not keep in touch with Elfriede after his demise. Makes me consider there may have been a rift prior to his death or maybe his will caused problems.
I have been unable to determine whether Elfriede arrived in England from Germany prior to the 1939-1945 war or after.
I have downloaded from The National Archives records of internees during the war. All Germans were considered enemy aliens, however women were able to work even though registered. The men were interned in camps. Thus there may be a record of Elfriede and her family.
I have spent hours nee days going through hand written ships manifests relating to sailings from Hamburg to England but have yet to find any thing relevant.
Anyway sorry for my ramblings.
Giving my sister her background/family tree is top of my bucket list so I have to keep plugging on.
'Time is the most valuable gift you can give anyone as it can never be recaptured'.
Thank you.
J Feona King
per page

Find a board about a specific topic