Search for content in message boards

O'Neill/Dwyer-Briarfield, Tipperary

O'Neill/Dwyer-Briarfield, Tipperary

Posted: 31 Jul 2012 8:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'Neill Dwyer Kelly Furlong Fahy Ryan Bray White
gggrandparents are Thomas O'Neill (1823-1911) and Kate Dwyer O'neill (1821-abt 1910). Lived in house 1 in Drominda (formerly Briarfield) (Cappagh, Tipperary) in the 1901 Irish census. Neither Thomas or Kate in 1911 census, only their daughter Mary in the house.
Per the Tipperary Heritage Center Thomas and Kate O'Neill had three children Johanna b.1847 d.?-baptismal sponsors James Kelly and Mary Furlong; Mary b. 1853 d. 1920? sponsors Philip Fahy and Johanna Ryan; and Hanora (my ggrandmother) b.1855 d. 1921 m. Richard Mockler 1886 and immigrated to US in 1887 and ended up in Ashland, WI. Her baptismal sponsors were James Bray and Johanna White. Looking for more information on Johanna O'Neill.

Re: O'Neill/Dwyer-Briarfield, Tipperary

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 4:31AM GMT
Not family who I am sure you are looking for but
if she married you would need to find the spouse but unless you find the correct marriage or if she died either way she disappears. The 1911 Census will tell you how long married, how many children born and how many died. The 1901 doesn't have that detail.

www.familysearch.org marriages 1867-1901 there are many Johanna marriages in Tipperary but no spouses listed, these would be on microfilm of the Latter Day Saints.

Cappagh was a townland in both S. Tipperary Union Callan
and also in N. Tipperary, Union of Tipperary. A union covered an area of 12 miles that included parish's, townlands, towns/villages from the named Town.
Parish in N. Tipperary was Toem and Isertkieran in S.Tipp

In the 1894 Commercial Directory is a Thomas ONeill listed as a baker/grocder on Bank Pl. in Tipperary

The Cappagh, Thomas is only 50 and wife Kate 40 are too young to be your Thomas and Kate, they would be 78-80 by the 1901 census.

In Nenagh there is a Johanna but she is married, so unless she married her cousin (common) this would not be her.

In the 1901 there is a family made up of unmarried brothers and sisters at 15 Caheernahallia, Cappagh (Electoral District) Patrick 33, Margaret 30, John 28, Johanna 26 (1975), Mary 22 (born 1899) & Julia 21. Not the right Johanna & Mary.

In the 1901 there 3 Mary's 1 aged about 50 living 23 in Friar,Thurles Town, a domestic, unmarried. The others are a widow and a married woman.

You speak of the Tipperary Heritage Center is that the Latter Day Saints or the History Foundation website?

As I was going to suggest the History Foundation for their
birth and marriage records. This is a not for profit but
fee paying Foundation.

170 ONeill's in the one line telephone book for Tipperary and 179 Dwyers, both have many in Nenagh area also Tipperary
Town area and a few in Cappawhite. Too may to locate a few to write too, even more Mockler's, 1 Bray, 12 Furlongs including Cappawhite & Nenagh, lots of Fahy & Ryans's

Annette Code

Re: O'Neill/Dwyer-Briarfield, Tipperary

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 12:46PM GMT
Surnames: o'neill, Neal, o'dwyer, Carew
first off, thank you for your help and information. I have been able to gather more information on my O'Neill/Dwyer-Briarfield, Tipperary family using the "rootsireland.ie" web site. I was able to locate both Thomas and kate's death records along with their daughter Johanna's marriage record. She married a William Carew in 1879, his address listed as Newtown and his father as John Carew. These records, though fee, are very helpful since they list more details such as address, parish, parents names, etc. I have also found both Thomas and his father Daniel Neal (note different spelling)listed in land records back to 1826 living at Briarfield(now Drominda), cappawhite, tipperary. Mary O'neill Thomas's daughter was still in the home in 1920. Cleary this family had been in the Cappawhite area for a long time.
once again thanks for your help
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions