Search for content in message boards

Garlands - unicoi tn & nc

Garlands - unicoi tn & nc

Posted: 3 Jul 2003 4:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 Dec 2004 11:33PM GMT
Surnames: yarber, garland
Joyce..... I don't know how to reach you, but I live in Fredericksburg, VA too ! My grandmother was Rachel Garland who married John N. Yarber and settled in Unicoi, TN.

Her name was Rachel Jenet ("Nettie") Garland, b. June 18, 1888 in Mitchell, NC. and d. February 27, 1972 in the Buffalo Valley area of Unicoi County, TN. Buried at McInturf & Barnett Cemetary, Unicoi, TN. Funeral Service held at Marbelton Community Church, Unicoi, TN. She was married to John Newton Yarber, s/o Newton Yarber, s/o William Dawson Yarber, s/o Shem Yarber, and many generations "assumed" have been identified for that Yarber line as well, but not noted here.

Rachel's father was William G. Garland, b. abt. 1864 and d. abt. 1954. Rachel's mother was Elizabeth Norris, b. abt. 1864 and d. abt. 1904.

William G. was the son of Steven Garland but I don't have his date info at hand.

Elizabeth Norris was the daugter of William Norris b. 1838 in Sullivan Co. (TN I believe), who married Emeline White in abt 1856 in Washington Co., TN.

Would love to get together if you're still around here!

Re: Garlands - unicoi tn & nc

Posted: 19 Oct 2004 1:49AM GMT
Edited: 5 Dec 2004 3:49AM GMT
Dear Teresa
I saw your message on the message board and the Steven Garland you speak of was born in 1803 he is the youngest son of Guthridge Garland and Bridget Hampton Garland. Steven along with his parents are buried in the Methodist cemetary just as you cut off onto the Tipton Hill Rd. in Mitchell Co. N.C. Their is a photo of Rachel Garland who married the Yarber you are referring to My wife was from Limestone Co. In Unicoi Co. and her Mother my Mother in law knew the people your looking for. If you would like you can e-mail me at Dorispainter@wmconnect.com I also come Guthridge and Bridget Hampton Garland.
Paul Painter

Posted: 19 Oct 2004 1:54AM GMT
Edited: 5 Dec 2004 3:49AM GMT
Surnames: Garland/Yarbor
Dear Teresa
I saw your message on the message board and the Steven Garland you speak of was born in 1803 he is the youngest son of Guthridge Garland and Bridget Hampton Garland. Steven along with his parents are buried in the Methodist cemetary just as you cut off onto the Tipton Hill Rd. in Mitchell Co. N.C. Their is a photo of Rachel Garland who married the Yarber you are referring to My wife was from Limestone Co. In Unicoi Co. and her Mother my Mother in law knew the people your looking for. If you would like you can e-mail me at Dorispainter@wmconnect.com I also come Guthridge and Bridget Hampton Garland.
Paul Painter

Posted: 3 Jul 2005 1:13PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jul 2006 6:58PM GMT
Surnames: Garland
I have tried to email you recently, but am not sure you've received it, so I post it here.

Due to water damage from a storm, I have lost most of my genealogy paperwork and am recompiling everything now. I would love to have anything you can share with me regarding the Garland lineage. You mentioned a picture of my grandmother, Rachel Garland... is this one you have? I'd love to get a copy.

I have just acquired death certificates for Unicoi and Carter County, TN for the late 1800s and early 1900s. I am posting a list of these on the Ancestry.com and Genealogy.com boards... if any are of interest to you, please let me know :)

Thanks !

TeresaYarber@aol.com

Posted: 2 Nov 2005 4:40AM GMT
Teresa,
My grandfather was David Jackson Garland. He was a brother of your grandmother, Rachel Garland. There is a picture of your grandparents, John and Rachel Yarber along with two children named Ruth and Edith, in the heritage book "Unicoi County and its People 1875-1995". You may already be familiar with this but I thought I would mention it just in case. Do you own or know of any photographs of our great grandparents, William Garland and Elizabeth "Lizzie" McInturff or perhaps other Garland ancestors?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic