Search for content in message boards

Thomas Wakefield b 1757 family estate road between Aughrim and Ballinasloe, Galway, Connaught, Ireland

Thomas Wakefield b 1757 family estate road between Aughrim and Ballinasloe, Galway, Connaught, Ireland

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 8:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wakefield, Wade, Morton, Banks
I am not sure on the location if it should be Connaught or Galway, Ireland. Thomas Wakefield was born to David Wakefield and Mary Elizabeth Wade? and David was born at the same location in 1737, the son of Robert, who was the son of Robert. David and his brother were implicated in a plot against Catholic rule his brothers Robert b?;beheaded for complicity in this plot Gilbert, b ?;imprisoned for live when arrested with his brother Robert Samuel b?;escaped to Scotland in a rowboat when he was detected in this plot. David Wakefield hid in a hogshead of clothing of his wife and children who were on their way to America-the date for the emigration is 1768 and 1773.
David's uncle Matthew Wakefield married Bridget Banks and emigrated to America prior to 1783.
The story is a family story handed down and has been published in family genos but I cannot see where anyone has checked this info out. Also Thomas Wakefield married Elizabeth Morton b 1760-1765-her family history is not correct and I do not know if she was possibly born near the Wakefields and possibly married Thomas in Ireland-not likely because of age but then no one is real certain on when any of them emigrated from Ireland.
I would appreciate any info Cindy coetting57@hotmail.com

Re: Thomas Wakefield b 1757 family estate road between Aughrim and Ballinasloe, Galway, Connaught, Ireland

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 11:00PM GMT
I have been researching wakefield family for a couple of years. I am decended from matthew in kentucky. I am just realizing some o f the info on ancestry.com is not right.I have a big mixed up mess on my family tree . As far as ireland the family is still there.I have been trying to figure out about samuel gilbert I can find nothing on them. so I will start over and let you know if I find anything pat

Re: Thomas Wakefield b 1757 family estate road between Aughrim and Ballinasloe, Galway, Connaught, Ireland

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 1:37PM GMT
Surnames: Wakefield Morton
I have been researching the areas that probably are not correct from the Wakefield Memorial the biggest one is Elizabeth Morton is not the niece or dau of John Morton, the signer. Do you need info on her parents? I have a lot of posts on that in Morton as I worked my way through my research but not too many want any info unles it proved relationship to the signer and this is impossible. I have been doing research already for the Wakefields at the post for David is mine, too. At this site http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/history/chapter4.html you will find that they converted from something to Methodism. The information for the Wakefield Brothers being implicated in a plot against Catholic Rule is not correct. During the supposed timeframe the Catholics were on the same level as the other Dissenters.
The Matthew who went to Kentucky-the father of John Wakefield who married Elizabeth Alexander in PA then went to Kentucky?I have info on them if you need it. I have a ton of info on the Wakefields. At his site:
http://nebekerfamilyhistory.com/nebgen/Return_to_Home_Page.h... you will find Wakefield info and pictures from Ireland where the Wakefields were. Click on library and the book Wakefield for info on Ireland. Keep in touch I am currently looking at Ireland roots. Thanks for responding Pat and please keep in touch. coetting57@hotmail.com

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 2:08PM GMT
Surnames: Wakefield
Here are some sites to utilize for your search:
1901 and 1911 Irish Census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/ There are Wakefields
For landed estates http://landedestates.nuigalway:8080/LandedEstates/jsp/ No Wakefields but Wades
Connaught is a Province, The Parish is Kilcloony or Clontuskert,Possible Church attended Urraghry Church of Ireland-Dissenters were required to have a Dual Membership in Parish one being the Church of Ireland and they paid tithes, the home of Dr. Albert Wakefield was 2 miles east of Aughrim, Galway, Ireland-Wakefield Village
And remember that Dissenters included Methodists, Presbyterians, Quakers, and the Treaty of Limmerick of 1691 lowered the status of all including Catholics to be on the same level and not the "ruling class"
I have been through all the history for Ireland. The Wakefield brothers could of been part of rebelious groups like the Whiteboy, Peep O Boys, or the Orangemen these groups might of been working against the Catholics but the years of the Wakefield Brothers who got implicated in a plot-the Catholic part might of been Homer Wakefield's opinion. The years 1771-1783 there was a volunteer movement and they were encouraged by the American Revolution and the Irish united against the British rule. This is the part of history that may be part of the Wakefield Brothers plot against the British Rule. Eamil your findings and opinions.
Best of Luck, Cindy coetting57@hotmail.com
P.S. the Galway Library site may have an earlier census than the one above and is a good site. Also Ireland roots I believe is good. And I have posts on the family at rootschat galway fourm. No records seem to exist except for ones I have found-Methodists in a book and the one above and the records for census.

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 7:39PM GMT
Who was dr alberts father.I have it as john. but it dosnt seem to fit.I think they were in ireland a long time probably in ulster . Im pretty sure I have the family of matthew correct My grandfather came to oregon in early 1900s and passed along family history. Its the brothers I an curious about .I emailed the orange order a couple of years ago no respnce.The family that stayed in aughrim should know something.Ive beenn nebeker site I think they have the house wrong it was albert nt robert that was the dr.

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 2:25PM GMT
Surnames: Wakefields
"Who was Dr. alberts father?"
According to the Wakefield Memorial page 216 "The emigrant from England to Ireland was John Wakefield, who had possibly among other children, Dr. Albert Wakefield, who had an only son Robert Wakefield." What info do you have that doesn't fit?
"I think they were in Ireland a long time probably in Ulster"
At the site Nebeker Family History, http://nebekerfamilyhistory.com/nebgen/Return_to_Home_Page.h... (and this is not the site with the sign in front with "Robert Wakefield, Physician to King, Born 1670, Aughrim, Galway, Ireland" that is the John Fleming Wakefield family site)If you go to library on the house or the home page at the Nebeker Family Site and click on it- it will take you to a library click on the book Wakefields-here you will find pictures of Dr. Albert Wakefield's home and a history for Albert treating the King and a picture of a chair the King sat in. In the history you will find that they believed Albert came from Ulster-and was granted the land for treating the King.
"I'm pretty sure I have the family of Matthew corret."
You descend from David's uncle Matthew Wakefield brother of David's father Robert? Again I am looking at page 216 Wakefield Memorial.
"It's the brothers I am curious about. I emailed the Orange Order a couple of years ago"
The Orange Order probably was not organized until the 1790's even if they existed prior to this time they probably have no records prior. The Whiteboys and the Peep O Boys were prior to them and in the time frame of the Wakefield Brothers.
The current Wakefields reside Urraghry-The home of Dr. Albert Wakefield in 1692-2 miles east of Aughrim and is part of Wakefield Village. Pictures of this at the site Nebeker Family History. And this is not the site with the sign in front of the house-but they did contribute the picture-there is a lot more at their own family history site. And this site with the current Wakefields in Ireland tells you they do not know the early history for the Wakefields. The history for the Wakefield family in Ireland-David Wakefield and probably his Uncle-Matthew-seems to be with the Methodist Church. But as I said before they were required to have dual parish memberships at this time and could not fully proctice Methodism until the early 1800's. The Catholic rule is completely wrong for the time period. Do you think this was either the authors own opinion about a "plot against Catholic rule"?
The Wakefield Memorial page 216 also says "According to information imparted by thomas Wakefield (son of the emigrant David) to his grandson, David H. Wakefield, of Redstone, Penna, and by him transmitted to the compiler, thomas Wakefield's grandfather (father of David) was named Robert, who was a son of Robert. The elder Robert, died in England in the prime of life from a wound rec'd in battle; was only a child."
This is where I have problems. I assumed it was Dr. Albert Wakefield, son of John-that does throw me. It seems Albert would be the son of the first Robert-and maybe it was Robert who was granted the land for his helping the King. I can find nothing to support either and the sign does say Robert, doesn't it?
Did you visit the sites in my prior emails and find anything? Did you get the John Wesley Visits Galway article-at least we know they are there at that time!
Cindy

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 3:27PM GMT
Surnames: Wakefields
I signed out and went to read again the info in the Wakefield Memorial page 213. He does list sources on this page and does explain the John Wakefield part of the family tradition here.
"The first official record of a Wakefield in Ireland, we find in the Rememberances of the Exchequer, Dublin: John Wakefield is mentioned under date 1637. (See Records of Dublin, p 610 published 1821-1825)
"In the Landed Gentry When Cromwell Came to Ireland, by John O'Hart, Dublin, 1884: among the enrollments of the adjudications in favor of the 1,649 officers, formerly designed the "49 lots," preserved in the office of the chief, John Wakefield is enrolled. these adjudications refer to the arrears of the commissioned officers who served Charles I before the 5th of June 1649, in the various wars of Ireland. The index locorum of these enrollments is given on pp. 638-647 of the Records of Ireland, above mentioned, (See 3d ed of O'Hart's Irish Pedigrees)
I have not found these records, have you?
Cindy

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 4:03PM GMT
hi cindy on ancestry.com family trees they have john wakefield in america.but I dont think its the same john.is it? the picture of the house in ireland I must have forgot were it came from yes I did go to the sites you sent some of them I have been to a while back. Some things have me confused. can you look at wakefield family tree and see if I have it right thanks pat

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 4:17PM GMT
I think I did see these records I didnt copy them and I dont remember where they were.I think john was awarded land in ulster and albert was born there and he was given the aughrim 30 acres after the battle. I will try to look up the records again,it might have been when I had a world membership, pat

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 4:53PM GMT
Surnames: Wakefield Morton
This post was deleted by the author on 17 Aug 2013 5:17PM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions