Search for content in message boards

Legal Accounting Documents

Legal Accounting Documents

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 5:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Winder
Hello,
I recently came across old bank statements and cancelled checks of my deceased mother. Does anyone suggest documentating this information? I realize from a family history standpoint it provides loads of information regarding goods and services purchased that is part of the picture of her life yet how much value is there in documenting every single check, statement, etc.? The task of recording and archiving these materials seems daunting. However there so are so many other tasks in family history & genealogy that are daunting as well!

Re: Legal Accounting Documents

Posted: 1 May 2013 1:31PM GMT
Edited: 1 May 2013 3:27PM GMT
I don't know how much "genealogical" value is in these documents, but I can tell you that IF there is a chance of someone in the family crabbing YEARS later about "Greedy got all the good china" or "that was a Tiffany lamp that Jackas's-now-ex-wife took", this paperwork may come in handy.

Or my personal favorite (from my in-laws side) - the bitter relative who was left out of the will because they did not repay a sizable loan, suddenly has a snit fit years later and claims that money was never borrowed - now that all the evidence has been shredded.

Re: Legal Accounting Documents

Posted: 19 May 2013 11:09PM GMT
Thanks for replying to my post. You make some good points for keeping documentation in the event that family members lay claim to certain family heirlooms that weren't left to them in the will.

I actually had that happen when a cousin of mine wanted some things of my father's when he passed away and couldn't understand how it came to be that my father left them to his only grandson instead of him. Never mind that he was my dad's nephew by marriage (my mother's sisters son)and they weren't particularly close. I remember looking at him, laughing, and saying "Are you serious? You gotta be kidding me!" People respond in interesting ways when these issues come up in life.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions