Search for content in message boards

William Varrily birth

William Varrily birth

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 5:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Could someone help me find the birth record of William Varrily born on April 6, 1844 in Milltown, Galway Ireland. I am looking for the name of his parents. This William Varrily came to Canada about 1865 and did his studies in Montreal to become a priest. He then practiced in some parishes of the diocese of Bathurst, New Brunswick Canada.
Any help on this will be really appreciated.
Rosaline Guitard, New Brunswick Canada

Re: William Varrily birth

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 3:36AM GMT
Hi Rosaline,
Sorry to say that there's little hope of finding a birth cert. for your William since Irish Civil Records for Catholics start in 1864 and the Milltown Catholic Church records start in 1858.
1901 and 1911 Irish Census Records (the only Irish census records available) show Varilys in 1901 and Varrillys in 1911 (same family) in Carrownurlaur, Milltown, County Galway. Thomas the head of household was 70 in 1901 indicating that he likely was William's brother. The church records may still be the best bet if you have an LDS center near you to view the film. Since Thomas' oldest son was named William it is highly likely that Thomas and Williams father's name was William as the custom was to name the first son for the grandfather. As you may well know, a common variant of the name is Varley and there are Varleys in the Milltown today.

Hope this helps a little.

- John

Re: William Varrily birth

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 1:33PM GMT
Thank you so much John for your reply. I guess it is not a good idea to continue the researches on this. But may be in the Montreal archives where William Varrily made his studies is the place trying to find information on this subject.
Thank you once again
Rosaline
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions