Search for content in message boards

KKK in Roswell NM

KKK in Roswell NM

Posted: 13 Sep 2010 8:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
I did a report in middle school about the KKK in Roswell NM. I am positive they were here, I found a photo in a book of them marching down Main street. When I took it to school I got in trouble & now people are denying they were ever here. The book also seemed to mysteriously disappear & cant be found anywhere. If anyone has any information, please let me know! Photos or information would be great! Please e-mail me at monique_jackson21@yahoo.com

Re: KKK in Roswell NM

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 12:23PM GMT
You didn't give a time frame, but the newspapers would probably be a place to look.

I found one reference to the KKK in Roswell at books.google.com

page 224 of a book called Hooded Americanism:the history of the Ku Klux Klan
by David Mark Chalmers

on page 454 of this book is a bibliography for chapter 31,
where it mentions 3 newpaper articles that you could also look up.

This book mentions Pioneer Klan No. 15 of Roswell. It seems they were around
in the mid 1920's-1931 at least, but didn't have a strong following as they did in other
parts of the country.

There is also an article here that mentions this Pioneer
Klan
http://westofthemississippi.angelfire.com/articles/captain_j...

Lisa

Posted: 19 Sep 2010 8:24PM GMT
Surnames: James
Yes, the KKK was active in Roswell in the 1920's. It apparently was viewed by the public as being a patriotic organization. The head of it was Capt. Jason James, a Confederate veteran. An old-timer once told me that he had attended one of their meetings when he was a young man. He said that because there were few African-Americans in Roswell, they targeted the Catholics.
They had a spot southeast of town by a pond where they had their rituals and burned crosses, etc.
The book you mentioned may have possibly been one I edited called Roundup on the Pecos II (Historical Society for Southeast New Mexico, 2005). This book has a picture of the KKK's float in the 1924 Cotton Carnival parade.
I hope this is helpful.
Elvis E. Fleming
(Volunteer) Archivist
Historical Center for Southeast New Mexico
archiveshcsnm@dfn.com
mefleming@dfn.com (home)

Posted: 19 Sep 2010 8:27PM GMT
Sorry: the KKK's place was NORTHEAST of town, not southeast.

Posted: 2 Jan 2011 9:18AM GMT
Where exactly northeast of town?

Posted: 2 Jan 2011 9:55PM GMT
The KKK's pond was north of East Berrendo Road in the vicinity of LaJoya Rd. There doesn't seem to be anything visible there now that would show where it was.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic