Search for content in message boards

coates family around geneva,alabama

coates family around geneva,alabama

betty williams (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 2005 1:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
looking for holman coates.... two children harry& jackie. holmans father was h.a.coates. sisters are delma,lillian,lyndle. mother was gypsy wright. h.a. worked on l&n railroad.

Re: coates family around geneva,alabama

Posted: 14 Oct 2009 6:43PM GMT
I am married to a Holman Ashley Coates. His father was Huey Adolf Coates. He had 3 children. 2 with Eileen (mother) and 1 with another woman. Sibling names are Cara(37), Ashley(34) and Kristy(19 or 20). Ashley and Kristy live in Albany, GA and Cara lives in Dallas, Texas. Huey passed in Jan 2008. I am not sure about the other names you mentioned. Hope this helps.

Amy Coates

Posted: 15 Oct 2009 11:27AM GMT
My name is Holman Ashley Coates, the son of Huey Adolf Coates who was the son of Huey Alver Coates. I go by Ashley Coates because the family on my fathers side always talked about Holman and when people said Holman they where talking about my Uncle not me. My father was the youngest son of Huey Alver Coates and was the half brother of holman, delma, lyndle, and lillian. Huey Alver Coates remarried after gypsie died. I grew up visiting my grandmother in geneva alabama. I remember going to cousin's houses near and around alabama and florida, walking on the leve and swimming in creeks in and around geneva. If you would like to contact me further about the coates family history please let me know, I have some extensive information not only about the coates family but also about the Johnson family (my grandmothers).

Posted: 15 Oct 2009 1:28PM GMT
amy this is my email bettyfay41@aol.com . i know holman's son harry was a att. in b'ham, al.i have a photo of him his father and g'father. holman was killed in the war. went down with his ship saving other men. body was never found. his wife was named ollie.. harry was about 2 in photo. holmans father was huey a coates, g'father thomas jefferson coates ,g'g'father was james j. coates. holman had a brother huey that died afew years ago. the family called their father big daddy.are you the children of that huey. i know that he had 3 kids. send me some names and i'll check them out on the family tree. send all info to my email

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 1:49PM GMT
My great grandfather was George Washing Coates. He is buried at the McDade cemetery in Carbon Hill, AL. He had two sons, John, who is also burried at the McDade cemetery and Otha Noel, my grandfather who is burried in Aberdeen, MS. My great grandfather George had a brother and were each raised by different families after their parents died young. I think they were struck by a train. If anyone has any information on my family please contact me merctl@aol.com

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 1:50PM GMT
*George Washington Coates, sorry for the typo

Posted: 20 Apr 2010 1:32AM GMT
I am writing on behalf of my husband, Robert, the son of Geraldine Williams who is the daughter of Lillian Coates/Williams/Solon. Gypsie raised my mother (Jeri) till she was six or seven. Huey Alver Coates, SR is my great Grandfather. We are interested in tracing the line before Gypsie. We have information about a Fannie Maye Wright who was supposedly Gypsie's mother. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. Was your mother Murl? Huey Alver was always called "Big Daddy".
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Robert

Posted: 21 Apr 2010 4:30AM GMT
ROBERT, THIS IS YOUR AUNT BETTY. I HAVE OFFERED ALL YOU KIDS WHAT I HAVE ON BIG DADDYS FAMILY. FANNY WRIGHT WAS CREEK INDIAN FROM SOUTH AL. THE WRIGHT FAMILY HID OUT TO KEEP FROM BEING SENT WEST IN CAVES IN SOUTH ALABAMA. THE CHIEFS FATHER WAS FANNYS GREAT NEPHEW OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. HE IS IN HIS 90'S COULDN'T REMEMBER IF FANNY WAS EVER MARRIED.BACK THEN THE WRIGHTS INTER -MARRIED IN ORDER TO KEEP BEING CAUGHT AND SENT WEST. I HAVE ALL OF BIG DADDYS INFO ALSO. ALSO YOUR GRAND FATHER WILLIAMS INFO. I HAVE ALOT OF PHOTOS THAT DATE BACK IN THE 1800'S OF THE FAMILY. HERE IS MY EMAIL BETTYFAY41@AOL.COM SEND ME JERRI'S PHONE # I HAVE LOST IT. HOW IS SHE DOING. BARBARA SAID SHE WASN'T CREEK BUT THE CHIEF OF THE TRIBE IS THE ONE THAT GAVE US OUR INFO. PENNY WRIGHT IS PASSED NOW SHE DID ALL OF THE N.A. LOOK UPS ON THE FAMILY..... CHARLES PATRICK WILLIAMS IS YOUR MOTHERS G'FATHER[ FATHERS SIDE] THOMAS JEFFERSON COATES IS BIG DADDYS FATHER. I HAVE GONE BACK TO JAMES J. [JACK] COATES THEN DEAD END AFTER THAT. HERE IS OUR # 334 2798777 CALL ME . BETTY

Posted: 21 Apr 2010 2:17PM GMT
robert your mom lived with her aunt mary, bob stayed with georgia and peggy stayed with big daddy. gypsie died in nov. 1936. bob was 2/ peggy about 31/2, jerri 41/2. mary took jerri to live with her most of the time. the reason murl and big daddy was married[ this is what murl told us before she got sick and this was the last info i got from her]. the welfare was taking the kids from mr. coates because he was single man trying to raiseing 3 kids.murl was his house keeper at that time. she had kids to raise and so did mr. coates.the welfare said if they got married they could keep the kids and they got married that day. they lived between mary,georgia and big daddy until lillian took them to n.j. to live with her and stanley solon. big daddys and murls son huey died afew years back that was the last of the kids. hueys kids has been in touch with some info on him. robert you can join the tribe if you want. i'll send you the address for info. i put your mother in years ago. but she wouldn't or couldn't give me all of you kids info.you will not get a check from the tribe like barbara say she does.fanny wright was not on the trail of tears. just do your math. fanny died after gypsie died . she is buried beside georgia and the grave is unmarked. bob and i have been to the grave site.murl paid to have gypsie and the baby moved to lay beside big daddy.gypsie is on one side and murl the other. moody is at their feet in the corner. if you ever go to geneva you need to visit the grave site murl did a beautiful job on it. linda you meet me in montgomery when ya'll came through here going home. betty
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions