Search for content in message boards

Bartholomew Coyne 1826-1906, County Galway, Ireland-Porter county, Indiana USA

Bartholomew Coyne 1826-1906, County Galway, Ireland-Porter county, Indiana USA

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 7:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coyne, Dirr, Grady
Bartholomew "Bartley" is my husband's 2nd great grandfather. I am trying to locate his parents, siblings & ancestors. This is what is known: Bartley married Cecelia Dirr, widow of Patrick Grady, 4 December 1852 in Wheeling, Virginia -- now Wheeling, Ohio county, WV. First child, Mary born Wheeling 1854, second child, Bridget born Ohio 1857, next four children, Michael, Anne, Catharine & Cecelia born Chesterton, Porter county, Indiana, 1860-1867.

Bartley's naturalization papers, from Valparaiso, Porter county Indiana, 24 September 1860 show he is "about age 32, a native of Ireland, emigrated thence embarked at Liverpoole & arrived at New York on ? day of Oct A.D., 18__" There is a question mark for the day & the year is not filled in.

The local Chesterton Tribune, Chesterton, Indiana, 26 Dec 1896, ran a short article saying Bartley left Galway County, Ireland 40 years ago & had never written home. While talking to the owner of a local store & mentioning his siblings, it was suggested Bartley write back home. The letter was written for Bartley and sent to the name of the owner of the estate on which he had lived and included all the names of his siblings. It got to John Coyne (relationship not mentioned in the paper) who answered the letter. Then came a letter from Bartley's niece (name not mentioned), who was the daughter of Bartley's sister, Mary. Bartley was informed that his sister Mary & his parents were deceased. It also said one brother had come to America, but it was not known where he was. Bartley continued to correspond w/relatives in Ireland.

The same Chesterton Tribune, 25 January 1901, ran another short article saying Batley Coyne was on his way to Boston to visit his brother (name not mentioned) whom he had not seen in fifty years. Bartley was 74 years old when he made the trip.

On 12 August 1904 the Chesterton Tribune had a short article about Bartley Coyne returning from a trip over a large part of the world.

Bartley's July 1906 obituary said he had traveled to Ireland just a few years prior to his death. It is believed this is the 1904 trip to Ireland.

Several things I have found that I believe are connected to Bartley and trying to prove:

New York Passenger & Immigration List 1820-1850 shows Barthw Coyne arriving 11 Oct 1850; age 22; male; port of depature-Liverpoole; place of origin-Ireland; Ship-Columbus.

At the Boston College website, a database of advertisements for Irish Immigrant published in Boston papers had the following:

In the Boston Pilot, 5 January 1856 Michael Coyne, cousin, seeking to find Bartley Coyne. Contact name-Thomas Haverty, Clinton, MA. Bartley's known location after arrival in the US, Claysville, Virginia. Bartley's Point of Origin information, Home County-Galway; Parish-Omey; Townland-Clifton; Barony-Ballynahinch; Poor Law-Clifden.

If any of this looks familiar to you, would like to hear from you. I have data to share on all of Bartley's children & their families

Re: Bartholomew Coyne 1826-1906, County Galway, Ireland-Porter county, Indiana USA

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 12:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Very interesting story indeed but finding Irish records that would identify Bartley's parents is virtually impossible. Since Bartley named his first son Michael that typically indicates Bartley's father's name, as that was the tradition. The only Michael Coyne in the Parish of Omey in the Griffith's Valuation of 1855 may have well been Bartley's father(See attachment). The Parish of Omey and the Streamstown/Barratrough area in northern Connemara is an area of desolate beauty but was not the place to be during Bartley's youth which included the years of the Great Famine. The area was also strictly Gaelic speaking in the 19th century and beyond. Eircom.com phone book does not show any Coyne's in the area today, the nearest one being in the little Connemara town of Leenane. I wish you luck in finding relatives, miracles do happen frequently in genealogy.
- John

Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions