Search for content in message boards

David Wakefield b 1735-37 Galway county, Connaught Parish, Ireland

David Wakefield b 1735-37 Galway county, Connaught Parish, Ireland

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 11:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Feb 2013 11:14PM GMT
Surnames: WAkefield Reddick Wade Campbell Banks
From the Wakefield Memorial by Homer Wakefield page 216 explains that John Wakefield emigrated from England to Ireland had Dr. Albert Wakefield who had an only son Robert Wakefield who died in England from a wound rec'd in battle.He had a son Robert who had three sons Robert, Matthew, and Andrew. Robert had 4 sons all who participated in a plot against the Catholic rule. David escaped to America-hidden- in a boat his wife was onboard bound for America. He escaped and came in the years 1768-1773. His wife was Mary Jane or Elizabeth Wade-said to be the dau of Jeremiah Wade, of Kilkerrin a wealthy land proprietor and neighbor of the Wakefield family. I did find some info on the Wade family in landed estates. David and Mary Wakefield had 8 children. I believe Thomas born 1757, Rev James born 1767, John ? went to Dublin, Ireland got ill and married his nurse Elizabeth Newlon in 1803. They were born in Ireland I believe. All are said to of been born on the family estate on the road between Aughrim and Ballinasloe, Galway county, Parish of Connaught, Ireland. There was a post for this family in the years 1999-2000.
I looked at records at galwaylibrary. There were some WAkefields in Ballinasloe. I have noticed a Wakefield Village in Galway county located north side of Urragh ree townland and in the Barony of Cloonmacnoon it's cicil parish Clontuskert. I am curious if this may be the actual Wakefield estate not just this branch of families refer to as being born there but other Wakefield branches. They couldn't of all lived in one house so a village that may now be deserted makes sense. In the 1901 Griffins Valuation I also saw a William Wakefield and a Charles Wakefield in this civil parish. Galway, Kellysgrove Urraghry Wakefields. I thought maybe it was a key to finding the records for the family in Ireland.
One son of Roberts, the brother of David, remained on the family estate married Margaret Reddick and prob died their. He had 3 known children Andrew-I believe emigrated to America and married Margaret Campbell January 3,1793 and he died June 22, 1828. The other 2 were John and Daniel.
Any information on this family would be appreciated=there are a lot of Wakefields who would love to know some of this history.
Thanks, Cindy coetting57@hotmail.com

Re: David Wakefield b 1735-37 Galway county, Connaught Parish, Ireland

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 8:11PM GMT
Hi Cindy,
There is also a village named Wakefield near Shrule, Co. Mayo although the village is actually in Co. Galway. As you probably know there were Wakefields listed in the 1901 and 1911 Irish Census. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/ in the same area. There's at least one Wakefield still there as seen in http://www.eircomphonebook.ie residential phone numbers (enter Wakefield - County Galway).
For landed estates in Galway look here, http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie:8080/LandedEstates/jsp/ I didn't see Wakefield but Wade is there.
There are 154 entries of Galway Wakefields in /www.findmypast.ie(pay site)most are petty sessions court entries where you can learn a lot about your family. Lots of entries for the Wades in there also.
Incidentally, I find it very interesting that the four brothers struck out against Catholic rule in the late 1700's...what Catholic rule? The Catholics ruled nothing and with rare exception couldn't own property, could hardly practice their religion or attend school. Just wondering!
Anyway, have fun, there's tons of information out there for you!
- John

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 1:41AM GMT
Yes I do not understand it-they were Methodist since sons of David and his son Thomas have sons who were ministers. I have a different branch-Convenators-who also came to America. I thought it was high rents at this time that sent a lot packing? The info for the brothers is from the Wakefield Memorial page 216-217-some problems but how to you approach a history such as the brothers Robert was beheaded, Gilbert imprisoned for life, David escaped to America, and Samuel rowed to Scotland! And it says "in a plot against Catholic rule" in Ireland. Do you think the wrong century? It states emigration from 1775-1783. However I cannot find Irish records or immigration records for this family. I can locate them in records where they emigrated to. The Juniata Valley, PA. The Wakefield Memorial-Homer WAkefield-1890's-no less- is the most quoted source for most families that descent from quite a few Wakefields. A moderator at rootschat for Irish forums said most of the info she could find does indeed go back to that book. I have no idea if it is true-some of the info definitely wrong-like Thomas Wakefield-the son of David-one of the brothers-it states he married Elizabeth Morton-niece of John Morton, signer of the Declaration of Independence. He was an only child! His father died while he was in his mothers womb. The family decided she was the dau of the signer-he did have a dau but she died unmarried! Still if you look at any Wakefield trees you will find the majority list Elizabeth Morton as the dau of the signer. I disproved with the offical organization for the signers and some historical societies-but no one cares-they tell me that the John Morton that is claimed to be the signer is speculation and so is it that his dau died unmarried. So I have been busy "unproving" things. I have had lots of fun already! Check it out and have a laugh. Yes I have been to the sites. There is also Wakefields in Ballinasloe and I really found a Wakefield for Wakefield Village. Cindy

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 6:53PM GMT
Hi Cindy,
The Protestant ruling class in Ireland became known as the Protestant Ascendancy and in the latter half of the 18th century many of them organized into the United Irishmen and voiced their displeasure with England with regard to trade, tariffs and many issues that placed them at a great disadvantage despite owning most of the property in Ireland. Many of these Protestants were part of the failed insurrection of 1798 against the British and they paid with their lives. Indeed Methodists were frequently in the forefront for Catholic emancipation then and also vocal for peace in the North of Ireland in the last 40 years.
To get beheaded in Ireland one had to commit an act of treason against England and to row to Scotland is surely an act of utter desperation, a 22 mile trip at the shortest point in very unfriendly water. I suspect that the four brothers plotted against the government in some way and paid the price as did Wolfe Tone, Lord Edward Fitzgerald and other Protestants some years later. Plotting against the Catholics, which would have gained nothing, might have earned praise from London at that time but that was not occurred.
Perhaps your scribe got the history a little mixed up. Incidentally, Connaught is a Province, not a parish.
Anyway, you have a most fascinating challenge and I wish you nothing but the best of good luck.
- John

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 1:48PM GMT
Thanks again. Yes I believe I have been told it was a province-for some reason I typed parish. I have thought about a place to search being the criminal records. I do not know if the story is true. Like I said some info has been wrong but as a start in American research it has the names and places correct.
Best regards and thanks,
Cindy

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 3:00PM GMT
I have been doing research and have ran across some interesting references. From a Wakefield bio I had apparently John Wesley preached a local church and converted Mary Jane Wase Wakefield. This would be around 1730-50's. Also for the area of Conneaught Province-Quaker references and there was a Wakefield. But what I am replying to concerns Catholic rule. I know it sounds incorrect-I have been through all the acts. However during Cromwells time and in a book called History of Ireland in the 18th century by William Edward Hartpole Lecky-vol 2 covers the time frame I would like to understand-he tells of unrest and a group called the Whiteboys. Have you heard of this-I saw a specific reference to Connaught-my spelling could be incorrect. I am having trouble following this and thought of you as possibly understanding this period-1770-1783. For having no unrest and I believe the jest is that the Catholics were included and some Prostestants not included in the prior act-or some religions not include.
Thanks,
Cindy
P.S. How does family history start becoming history for a country?

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 6:35PM GMT
Cindy, The information concerning the Whiteboys is quite accurate for the 18th century and it continued on into the 19th century and even spread to the United States with the most notable being the Molly Maguires in the coal fields of Pennsylvania in the late 1800's. The Whiteboys were very active in many counties and rampaged against their oppressors although frequently the results seemed to be indiscriminate.
Secret societies like the Whiteboys were very active in the late 18th century in Mayo and actually fought alongside the United Irishmen and the French Troops in 1798 in what was known as the "Year of the French". That Irish and French routed the British from Killala Bay in Mayo to somewhere not far from Aughrim in Galway where they were forced to retreat from Lord Cornwallis' troops.
Afterwards the French were allowed to sail back to France but the Irish suffered severe reprisals as a great number were executed for "treason". Perhaps the Wakefields lads were involved with this event or a similar type event on one side or another. But what I still don't understand is that one was beheaded, one jailed for life and two others had to flee for their lives. This would be understandable if they fought on the Catholic side (a lot of Protestants did)otherwise I am at loss but I don't doubt for a minute that something significant happened.
A place to check is the newspapers of the period such as the Freeman's Journal in Ireland starting from 1763 and several British newspapers that go back to the 18th century.
- John

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 2:09PM GMT
Edited: 1 Mar 2013 2:19PM GMT
Surnames: Wakefield Wade
Thank you so much for the references. I feel like I might be onto something. I have a copy from ancestry "The Parish of Aughrim and Kilconnel" page 19 saying John Wesley preached there to add to the info from the Bio for Dr. Rev Samuel Wakefield-a Methodist Minister-son of Thomas son of David-who both came to America-The last sentence in the page previously mentioned page 19, the paragraph for Wakefields says "The last three preachers remembered by the people were Mr. Storey, Mr Walsh, and Mr. Wakefield, all natives of the parish." Kilconnell is the parish I believe and that helps and matches up with maps and census of 1901. Then I found an article on John Wesley Visits Galway at http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/history/chapter4.html in case anyone reading this wants to see it. I will type a paragraph on what refers to Wakefield and Wade families. David Wakefield married Mary Jane Wade.
"At this period Mr. and Mrs. Wade of Fairfield, and Mr. David Wakefield, also a member of the parish, embraced the Gospel, opened their houses to the Methodist preachers, and continued to be good supporters of early Methodism. The descendants of David Wakefield, to the fifth generation at least, identified themselves with the followers of Wesley."
This sounds as though there has been contact with the descendants of David Wakefield. And it sounds like the David Wakefield I have been searching for however at rootschat it was brought to my attention that there was another Wakefield family that descends from a David Wakefield-later period-from the same family estate and listed in the Wakefield Memorial by Homer Wakefield on page 255. So my reserch continues with Freeman's Journal and I thank you so much.
Cindy

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 10:17PM GMT
Surnames: Wakefield
For this family I ran across some other descendants and they visited Ireland and the places where the Wakefields lived. They do not have any more history than I however but they refer to the Wakefield Memorial and the same history as I do for the Wakefield Brothers. to see this and it is a really neat family history site google Nebeker Family History
Best regards,
Cindy

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 2:32AM GMT
Cindy, Read all the interesting stuff in the Nebeker Family History but something you had said earlier triggered a thought. You had questioned at one point about having the right century with regard to the incident involving the Wakefield brothers and if we go back one century to the Williamite Wars in Ireland between the Catholic King James of England and the Protestant King William of Orange, a plot against Catholic rule then would have been against a Catholic King of England who had the support of the French and the Catholics in Ireland.
A savage and decisive(for King William)battle took place at Aughrim, County Galway on 12 July 1691 but the war had gone on for years prior to that. The Orange Order in the North of Ireland still parade on 12 July every year to celebrate the defeat of the Catholics and King James II much to chagrin of the Catholics who live there.
In any event, the Wakefield lads may have plotted against Catholic rule, i.e, King James II et al, and then the executions, jails and fleeing the country would all make sense.
See if this possibly fits your timeline.
- John
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions