Search for content in message boards

Robert Campbell b. IRE ca. 1717, died Hawkins, TN 1810

Robert Campbell b. IRE ca. 1717, died Hawkins, TN 1810

Posted: 7 Feb 2005 10:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Campbel
Does anybody have more information on Robert Campbell, who settled in Carter Valley, Hawkins County, Tennessee and died about 1810?

I see some sources say that he was born in Co. Down, Ireland, but others say Co. Donegal. Which is right?

Thanks!

- Heather

Re: Robert Campbell b. IRE ca. 1717, died Hawkins, TN 1810

Mary Turney Miller (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2005 10:37PM GMT
Everywhere I look I see Campbell name.....was this one perhaps at King's Mountain or something?

Mary

Heather Blair (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2005 11:10PM GMT
Surnames: Campbell, Crockett, Allison
I don't yet know whether he was at King's mountain. Here's what I have on him from a 19th-century book:

From "Descendants of Robert Campbell" by Rev. Charles W. Campbell, 1894. "Robert Campbell was born in County Down Ireland about 1718. Landed at Philadelphia with his brothers, when 7 years old, probably in 1725, but this is not entirely certain. Went to Prince Edward Co., VA. Afterwards thence to Rockbridge Co., VA. In 1776, he went with his sons to Carter's Valley in what was later the state of Tennessee, reaching the place where he afterwards lived, and where he died the day before Christmas. His death occured about 1810. His first wife was Leticia Crockett, who died in Prince Edward Co... "His second wife was Jane Allison, who survived her husband several years living with her daughter Leticia till 1820."

This is really odd for me because I went to the library to research Blair, found Turney, realized that Turney was in Hawkins county at the same time as Campbell. Blair/Turney are my dad's side and Campbell is my mother's. Her branch moved from Hawkins County to Claiborne to Franklin to Hardeman County. John Larkin Campbell, grandson of Robert, was there in Hardeman on the 1830 census and died there in 1870. John Larkin Campbell's grandson, William Allen Campbell, moved to Arkansas in 1900 or so, and was a doctor. He settled in Phillips County in the Delta.

I have more info (and a few pictures) on my website:

http://surgery.uchicago.edu/hblair/

- Heather

Mary Turney Miller (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2005 12:10AM GMT
You have the same problem I do with my lines.....they traveled together for a couple of generations, split for a while, and then ended up again in Arkansas together.

I have been looking at this Campbell family in Rockbridge Co VA for a friend who had Wilson, Wasson, Steale, Mitchell, etc. there till about 1811....she also has a Crockett connection.

Rockbridge Co was at one time Augusta and for one year it was Montgomery Co.

Henry Turney and his 3 siblings were moving out of Shenandoah Co VA, but their father lived at Red Banks which for a while was also Augusta Co. 1772 Henry Turney shows up on the New River which I think is Montgomery Co today.....then 1774 on border of TN/VA.

Your Campbell seems to have also traveled the Great Wagon Road thru Valley of VA into TN.....find highway 11 (Lee Highway) - it runs beside the interstate thru Valley of vA.....this was the migration route. For people moving from PA or Maryland, they came in thru what is today West VA but was VA back then.....others coming from eastern VA came into Valley thru one of the gaps in mountain....there is one which today goes between Culpeper and Page Co (Page back then was Shenandoah).....another one is Rockfish Gap which goes thru and you end up in Staunton in Augusta Co VA......so they left the coast, followed one of the rivers up to the mountains (such as James River), then thru a gap and they were in the Valley, from there they followed what is today Highway 11.

Look at Rockbridge Co VA Genweb page - there is a map of Bordon's Grant with Campbell name on it.

The Wasson family came out of PA to what is WVA now, then after Rev War I think it was, they moved to Rockbridge Co VA.....

Mary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic