Search for content in message boards

Publishing with Family Tree Maker

Publishing with Family Tree Maker

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 9:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to prepare a book in the publishing section of Family Tree Maker 2012. I have a pedigree chart layout prepared. When i select "poster" layout I have the option to "show siblings of primary person" - Great, since i have 2 sons. However, when I change the layout to Book which incorporates all the follow-on page info etc. it drops the sibling again! I have tried inserting a text box and adding the info but there seems to be no way to adjust the font size or box border etc. Has anyone found a way to add the sibling info for a primary person into the book layout? I have contacted tech. support but they are not able to help.

Re: Publishing with Family Tree Maker

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 4:37AM GMT
I suspect that it is not supported.

Have you considered saving your report c/w siblings as an image and inserting it into the book that way?

John D

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 8:36AM GMT
Have you considered suggesting an enhancement to the system to do what you want to do

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 8:11PM GMT
Thanks Kathy,
When i called Tech Support for their assistance with this question and found they couldn't help I asked them to put in a request to work on this.

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 8:13PM GMT
Thanks John,
Yes, I had considered that since i have worked with other publishing software, I was just hoping to be able to compile everything in the one place!

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 1:39AM GMT
This would be a nice feature since many people (I think) would like book format with more than just pedigree info. I was just today wanting to do the same thing as described here.

So yes, being able to do a pedigree in book form with adding of non-direct individuals would be nice. Or another way (which the software also cannot do) is to have the 'extended family' chart be able to do book format instead of just poster. That would also suffice for many people's needs I think.

I suppose in the meantime others are exporting and using another program to assemble what they need?

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 1:45AM GMT
I have created several family albums and am in the process of creating 2 more.

I use Microsoft Word 2010, because it offers me the flexibility and control that I want.

I contributed many photos and charts to the albums a first cousin made a couple of years ago. She did hers in MS Publisher. Even she has said that my albums look better than hers.

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 2:14AM GMT
Edited: 15 Feb 2013 6:22PM GMT
There is certainly other software fixes for what people seek sure. However I think the majority of the posts on the topic wanted to utilize FTM itself.

Since you did not mention it I will assume you are exporting your FTM info to a gedcom and then opening that in WORD somehow? The problem some people seem to have with that method is the loss of direct media and other information because of important inabilities.

I could agree with you that MS Word has it's uses but getting the data from here (FTM) to there (WORD) presents some problems/losses. Unless I am missing something in what you mean.

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 2:33AM GMT
Craig,

Sorry if my post was not clear.

I do not export ANYTHING from FTM to Word. I have a dual monitor set-up, with a 3rd USB monitor that I sometimes connect, when needed.

I'm not afraid of copying and pasting or rekeying, when needed.

What is available within FTM, as a chart or even a "smart story" is too dry for my family audience. If they did not run away screaming, they would fall asleep or, at the very least, give me that dreaded eye-roll and tune out. Permanently.

I use the sources and facts as the basis for a family history I believe will capture their interest.

I'm not a fiction writer - everything I include has a source to back it up. Within the album, I include a DVD or CD, with charts and sources, should s/he be interested in further research.

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 5:41PM GMT
Edited: 15 Feb 2013 5:42PM GMT
OK, well I don't think that would work for many people (copy and paste each person or data). That seems very labor intensive / repetative versus having the computer do the work for you. Especially if there are thousands of people in one's tree.

Which was sort of the point (I thought) of wanting FTM to do this style for people.

In the end I think the easiest at this point is to just export to gedcom and then open in PAF (free from their website) which does do the format as needed and more. That works really nice and isn't very much labor to transfer.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic