Search for content in message boards

WANTED! Murphy/ O'briens in Co. Tipperary, Ireland 1800's

WANTED! Murphy/ O'briens in Co. Tipperary, Ireland 1800's

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 7:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for Micheal Murphy and his wife, Mary O'brien of Co. Tipperary. Born and died in Ireland. They had a son, John F. Murphy born Aug. 2nd 1847.(in Ireland) His wife, is Margaret Ryan born Sept.3 1843.(Ireland) John came to America in 1855, he and his wife lived in Connecticut, Illinois, Minnesota, and both passed away in the Spokane Washington area. Any help in finding any info on all four would be very helpful.

Re: WANTED! Murphy/ O'briens in Co. Tipperary, Ireland 1800's

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 7:30PM GMT
The names of your family are so common in Ireland that it is practically impossible to find a particular individual. You do have names and a birth for John F. Murphy - hopefully from Tipperary.
There is a not for profit but fee paying History Foundation that has both North Riding and South Riding genealogy offices collections on a data based.
You can search for the son's birth just with his parents names
and the year 1847. Then you don't even need a county/ Once you have his birth record you will have the parish/place as well.

www.askaboutireland.ie

Griffith Valuation is used as a census substitute for the year it occurs in 1850. Since John F. Murphy was born in 1847 his parents probably already occupied land.
Their children would also reflex their parents name.
Which would help in a search for her father. Look to name
of their 2nd. son, first son usually named after his father-Michael or grandfather (which also could be Michael if Michael was the first son in that family.

Here is an example of just numbers:

North Riding, Tipperary has 11 Michael Murphy's and 202
Murphy's, South Riding 32 Michael and 371 Murphy's.
No name for the O'Brien's
West Riding 484 and South Riding 151
Now you can see how important the correct county and
parish can be.

Once you have the parish you should be able to look up
the father of Michael and the O'Brien probably belong to the same parish as that is how people met then. If they
were townies they could meet regardless of parish.

Good luck.

Annette Code

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 11:26PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. Have dates of birth, death certificates, and John F. Murphy's dad and mom's name. I have birth date, father's name and death certificate for Margaret.I hope this might be enough info for a little kicks start.

Thanks! Kerry Murphy

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 6:26AM GMT
those births, death certificates must have a place name or parish? You can then look for further information

www.census.nationalarchives.ie 1901/1911

www.askaboutireland.ie for Griffith Valuation look for
surname and Parish.
www.failteromhat.com a simpler version of Griffith Valuation

Tithe Applotment 1820-1839 available at the National Archives in Dublin and on Ancestry.com

www.rootsireland.ie for birth, marriages

Good luck.

Annette

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 7:21PM GMT
I have found information from the Ireland Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958. Marriage certificate for John F. Murphy, and Margaret Ryan 1864 Tipperary. I need to figure out how to get a copy of it....but everything fits....

Thanks, Kerry.

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 7:51PM GMT
"Congratulations. I'm amazed" The only place I know to get copies of civil registrations is the General Registry Office.

www.groireland.ie

Read through the information provided.

Annette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions