Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 Sync error "analyzing changes from family tree maker"

FTM 2012 Sync error "analyzing changes from family tree maker"

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 9:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Using FTM 2012 since it was released with no problems. Maintain my tree of 3,000 people and lots of media on my computer with FTM and uploaded it to Ancestry to share. Have been sinking it manually from time to time and suddenly now unable to do ti - hit the sync button and progress bar gets about half way across the "analyzing changes from family tree maker" and it stops and gives me the box with "Sync Error. The last sync failed. An error occurred while "Analyzing Changes from Family Tree Maker". Please Try Again Later". Have "tried again later" many times and no success. Help. Thoughts. Thanks. (P.S. Running on PC with Win 7 - no recent changes to software, antivirus, etc)

Re: FTM 2012 Sync error "analyzing changes from family tree maker"

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 9:58PM GMT
I've had this happen a number of times since the last software update. However, in every case, if I close the software then reopen it and sync, the sync completes successfully. For me, I *think* it occurs whenever I have changes to place names (but I want to test that theory a little before I send a bug report).

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 10:02PM GMT
I'm getting the same error. My guess would be the ancestry website database is having some issues....growing pains if you will. I guess we just wait and see.

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 10:12PM GMT
Getting an error at this stage in the sync is a bad error. Most of my errors happen at least after it tries to sync, not in gathering information to prepare for the sync. My guess is that you'll need to unlink and redownload/upload, but you should contact support before taking that step.

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 10:16PM GMT
Please don't be too fast to unlink. I see this exact error pretty often since the last update and have *never* had to unlink to recover from it.

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 10:23PM GMT
Agreed, unlinking causes unnecessary headaches and should be used as a last resort. I have been getting this error everytime I try to sync for the last 3 days.

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 10:27PM GMT
I agree that it's a last resort, since you're bound to lose time you invested. I assume, however, that you've taken all the normal troubleshooting steps (compacting, restarting FTM, disabling anti-virus & security programs, etc.)

http://ancestry.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ancestry.cfg/php/enduse...

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 12:46AM GMT
I had the same persistant error last week, not able to resolve it. See thread http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.software.famtreemaker/8098...

Recommend call support, they may or may not be able to help, but it beats butting your head against the wall or "try again".

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 1:58AM GMT
I get this every so often and it usually occurs when I have been changing citations that are linked to Ancestry.

I just have to make sure I remember what I was doing and back carefully out of the changes. Syncing early and often is essential.

Rosemary

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 2:43AM GMT
I'm probably jinxing myself by writing this, but I regularly change citations that I made through Ancestry and only once encountered a sync failure that required unlinking. Most of these can be fixed by manually adding the data when there's a sync failure and then choosing AMT or FTM as the information to keep.

Sync'ing often, however, is good advice. Best not to risk too much time invested.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions