Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 BOOK CRASHES

FTM 2012 BOOK CRASHES

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 2:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
A while back someone was having problems with FTM 2012 books crashing whenever they attempted to add a new chapter to a book or added a book item property or attempted to move a chapter either up or down in the book.

I can't remember who that was, and I can't seem to find the thread it was on. As I remember Russ Worthington was also involved in the discussion.

I also had the problem at that time and never resolved it. It is happening to me again and this time I would like to determine what is causing it.

Russ if you are listening how about responding, your memory is better than mine

Also if the person who generated the original thread could respond it would be helpful

Thank you

Re: FTM 2012 BOOK CRASHES

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 8:43PM GMT
It may help to state your problem, then all of the people who responded could concentrate on your problem using any new data that has been found between the original post an now.

Also since version, operating system, and computer affects problems it would help if your gave that information also

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 11:02PM GMT
Edited: 15 Feb 2012 11:08PM GMT
Keithnuttle comment

“It may help to state your problem, then all of the people who responded could concentrate on your problem using any new data that has been found between the original post an now.

Also since version, operating system, and computer affects problems it would help if your gave that information also”

Keith since posting on this thread I found the original thread which addressed this subject

It is titled “FTM 2012 Working on “Book”, Program Fails” authored by BobRead17 and is shown about 4 lines down from this thread on this forum.

I added a comment number 31 to that original thread and hopefully will get a response from Bob Read17

You can go to the original thread and read all the info that was and has been discussed so far on the subject brought up by BobRead17

Tomorrow I will further address the subject [using this thread] based on my recent findings and solicit comments

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 3:48AM GMT
Kathy Marie Ann,

Lets deal with the crashing / closing issue first.

Please go to the Knowledge Based website:

http://ancestry.custhelp.com/

And enter crash into the Keyword Search and click on Search. This will bring up a list of Knowledge Based articles based on your version of Windows. Please follow the instructions, based on your version of Windows. As you go, please make note of what you see, what you did, any error messages, so that IF that article doesn't resolve this, you can post your findings here and we can go from there.

Russ

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 12:16PM GMT
Russ’ total comment

“Kathy Marie Ann,

Lets deal with the crashing / closing issue first.

Please go to the Knowledge Based website:

http://ancestry.custhelp.com/

And enter crash into the Keyword Search and click on Search. This will bring up a list of Knowledge Based articles based on your version of Windows. Please follow the instructions, based on your version of Windows. As you go, please make note of what you see, what you did, any error messages, so that IF that article doesn't resolve this, you can post your findings here and we can go from there.

Russ”

Russ

I went to the Knowledge based website and clicked on “What Can I do if Family Tree Maker 2008-2012 Crashes on Windows XP”

Since I have FTM 2012 I went down through the list of things shown

Windows is up to date – I checked their website, but my system is also set up to automatically receive updates

All updates for FTM 2012 have been installed --- my present version is 21.0.0.506 – I also checked and the system says my version is up to date

File corruption ------discussed below

MS WSE 3.0 is installed – I checked

I did not reinstall Microsoft. Net frameworks or FTM 2012---see below discussion

In General FTM 2012 DOES NOT CRASH on my system

I have only been experiencing crashes associated with creating books for FTM 2012 –
and even these are fairly new problems – they seemed to come about after the last 1 or 2 updates to FTM 2012 [Since I DO NOT HAVE AND HAVE NOT HAD a general problem of crashing I did not reload all my FTM 2012 software nor did I reinstall Microsoft. Net Frameworks]

MY THOUGHTS ON WHAT IS HAPPENING

Recently I began to experience this crashing problem

To isolate the problem I created a brand new file consisting of just three people --- A Father, A Mother and a Daughter. [This new file was created to ensure that if my main file was corrupted the corruption was not causing the crashing problem]

After this three person file was created I created a book for the daughter

I was able to create chapters/book items [with no crashes] showing every type of chart and report available in FTM 2012 [with the exception of one type of chapter/report discussed below]

I was able to move the chapters up or down in the book and experienced no crashes.

I was able to delete/add chapters with no crashes

I was able to add or delete so-called “book item properties” with no crashes

THE ONE EXCEPTION TO ALL OF THIS WAS [AND IS] WHEN I TRY TO CREATE A BOOK ITEM/CHAPTER FOR THE SO-CALLED “CUSTOM REPORT”

The system almost always crashes when I try to create Custom Report showing, for example, the ANCESTORS OF THE DAUGHTER [in the three person data base] discussed above

The crashing seems to be related to the Report Settings used. For example if I use the default settings for the report I can get it to run ----for Immediate Family, All Individuals, and for the Ancestors of the daughter

But when I change the settings to include ALL FACT NAMES [INSTEAD OF JUST THE DEFAULT FACT NAMES] THE SYSTEM WILL CRASH

And when I bring the system back up it tells me the system was closed incorrectly

SO I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO DETERMINE WHY IT CRASHES WHEN ALL FACT NAMES ARE INCLUDED

PS to the above - SOMETIMES when I start with just the default facts list and run the reports and then change to the total list of fact names the SYSTEM DOES NOT CRASH ----haven’t been able to determine why

Could you give it a try, using the small data base data I created

Here is the Data I used:
Father Named – Father Jones, born 1950
Mother Named - Mother Smith, born 1955
Father and Mother Married – 1975
Daughter Named - Baby Jones, born 1980

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 12:29PM GMT
Kathy Marie Ann,

Can't help you if you don't like my suggestion. That article has helped other users by following all of the steps involved, INCLUDING the last one, creating a New User Account.

Russ

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 1:10PM GMT
Can't help you if you don't like my suggestion. That article has helped other users by following all of the steps involved, INCLUDING the last one, creating a New User Account.

You are really stubborn ----if every thing is not done exactly the way you say then Russ Worthington is not going to see if he can help

It is stupid to go through all the effort to create new user accounts, reload software , etc etc when in less than 5 minutes you Russ Worthington could prove to the world that you are indeed right

Maybe some one else will create the small tree I outlined and let this thread know the results

Posted: 3 Sep 2012 11:19PM GMT
Good luck with that. I have been experiencing the same problem with the Book and the reports. I followed all of the directions, including creating a new account and the sample book and none of it helped. I am currently corresponding directly with a tech through the FTM program and keep getting requests to retry things I have already tried. I'm sorry, but it should not be that difficult to write a program to create a pdf. I have several programs that do that for other programs without any problems. Hope they figure it out, since for me its a big part of why I purchased the program so I could create the pdf book and give it to my family members, if I had just wanted to create the tree I would have just continued with my Ancestry subscription.

Posted: 3 Sep 2012 11:26PM GMT
1_gross18,

What version of Family Tree Maker are you using, where generating a PDF file crashes Family Tree Maker?

Russ

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 3:00AM GMT
I am running vista with FTM 2012, Version 21.0.0.580. The creation of the book is supposed to create a PDF file so I can then distribute to family members.

I have had 4 corresponding emails from the Techs for FTM and even though I have sent all the reports referring to the crash of the program while attempting to create a book, they have had no insight on what the problem might be.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions