Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 Will no Longer Open after updates to .NET Framework

FTM 2012 Will no Longer Open after updates to .NET Framework

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 4:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Feb 2012 4:16PM GMT
Good morning,

I'm running Windows 7, and received several Windows Updates this morning, including several to the .NET Framework, on which I understand FTM 2012 is based.

After the updates and reboots, FTM 2012 will no longer open. I've tried repairs to FTM 2012, from Control Panel/Programs, but still no go.

I've already reported to acom.

Is anyone else having this problem? Has anyone found a solution?

Thanks.

Re: FTM 2012 Will no Longer Open

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 4:37PM GMT
Thanks for reporting this. I'm using Vista 64-bit, and I see five security updates pending for .NET and a larger pending general update for .NET. I'm not going to install them after reading this. Please keep us up to date.

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 4:39PM GMT
Hi again, Marco.

Come on over to Ancestry's facebook page - Ancestry has responded there, but no fix yet.

I've also reported via Help, but I don't expect an answer there anytime soon, since I got the usual "we are experiencing a high volume..."

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 4:51PM GMT
I don't always get responses by emailing support, and when I do it's often a week later with a boilerplate message that ignores everything I wrote pointing me to a boilerplate FAQ that I already read. Hopefully your experience will be better.

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 4:58PM GMT
Edited: 15 Feb 2012 5:12PM GMT
Something like the message I got on Facebook - sending me to instructions on how to uninstall?

BTW, I'm on hold trying to get to "help" - I'll let you know if I get through before my long-life battery dies.

Edit: 12 minutes to answer and tell me I should uninstall.

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 5:09PM GMT
I saw that link you got. Always generic responses with generic help information. And what happens if you uninstall/reinstall? Does that unlink your tree?

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 5:14PM GMT
Yes, that unlinks my tree, because I've been through that process before.

And, of course, destroys all that categorization I've been doing for the last week.

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 5:16PM GMT
I've also been recategorizing against my own advice. It's just so hard to work with media files unless they're in small buckets that don't take forever to load. I hope you don't have to unlink.

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 5:18PM GMT
Oh, just saw your edit. Perhaps try calling back and escalating? Or did they give you a reason why it requires a reinstall? If so, they ought to create some mechanism to preserve the media categories. It's a lot of work wasted--numerous times!

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 5:18PM GMT
I'm currently on hold while the tech looks for another option, after I explained how much work would be down the proverbial drain.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic