Search for content in message boards

Milltown Catholic Church records

Milltown Catholic Church records

Posted: 20 Mar 2013 6:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
I sent $ and a detailed letter to the church there to try to get church records. I never heard anything. Any ideas on how to get a response?

Re: Milltown Catholic Church records

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 4:11AM GMT
You probably won't get one. It happens less and less as so many people are searching now the clergy think we are a nuisance. This is why they have allowed their records to be available through this Irish history foundation.
www.rootsireland.ie this is a pay website but a not for
profit foundation.

RC Milltown baptisms 1858-1900 and marriages from 1859-1900

Annette Code

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 1:14PM GMT
Thanks. I tried that pay site this past week and I got a bit of info I had been lacking. Unfortunately, their records for Milltown end at 1900 and my grandmother and nearly all her siblings were born after 1900. I also cannot find my grandmother on the civil registration. I am wondering if that is unusual, particularly for someone born in 1904. Not sure where to turn next.

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 7:12PM GMT
Can you share their names and I will have a look as well. I can also look in the current telephone book for people with the same surnames still living in the same area's. It worked for me and I do know of others.

I do know if you have a decent year and parents names the General Registry Office in Dublin will do a bit of a search, I don't know what that costs. This is where you go for copies of birth certificates.

www.groireland.ie

Have you looked at the 1911 Census?

www.census.nationalarchives.ie

Annette

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 8:03PM GMT
She is in the census for 1911. She lived in Carrowtootagh. Church was the one in Milltown. I narrowed the names down on the civil registration and wrote to the general office. They did a search and had no luck.

Nora Theresa Walsh. Born July, 1904. Parents Michael Walsh and Catherine Cleary. Not having much luck on her siblings either.

Thanks.

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 4:51AM GMT
www.familysearch.org (no parents names)

births registered:

Honoria Mary Walsh born July-Sept 1904

Norah Walsh Oct-Dec, 1904

Very frustrating when adding Micheal you get results with parents name but nothing with a Catherine Cleary, other Catherine's.

Is she Annie age 8? in the 1911 Census?parents Michael Walsh 55, mother Catherine age 49? Mother had been married 23 years, 10 children born 8 living

Peter Walsh - three options in 1902:

Jan-March, 1902 Vol.4, Pg. 211, #101069/004193985

April-June, 1902, Vol.4 Pg. 214 #101069/004193983

July-Sept, 1902, Vol.4 Pg. 213 #101069/004193983

These microfilm are available at your closest LDS Heritage
Libraries, if not on records can be ordered.

I'm not sure if they would tell you anything or not. I do know I had an old CD put out by the LDS - no longer available and replaced with the website www.familysearch.org
but the CD had both parents names on all the birth registrations, but for some reason they left them off
when transcribed to the website!

Annette

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 6:27PM GMT
Thanks. She is definitely not the one from October 1904. The clerk in Ireland looked it up. Did not try the other mainly because the middle name is wrong. Also, as you said, the parent's names don't match up.

The LDS info only has the index which leaves you with the same problem of having to pay to take a stab that the record is correct.

Yes,that is the family in the census.

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 1:50AM GMT
Which Milltown is in question? County Galway? County Dublin? County Cavan ?

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 1:58AM GMT
Sorry- overlooked the county Galway classification in the forum category.

My ancestors are from that area, and I have visited Father JJ Cribbins a few times to look up information. He is always on the run since he performs mass at three churches in the area. Very nice priest-- I cannot see him/them intentionally avoiding to assist.

I am from Iowa, and was just in the milltown area looking for Daly and Farragher headstones in one of the cemeteries on the road to Dunmore. I will tell you that I clearly recall seeing Walsh headstones.

Not sure if this helps you at all, but thought it might be of interest....

Steve

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 8:16PM GMT
Thanks Steve. I have heard very nice things about the priest in that area. It is looking like I might have to go there. About half of my grandmother's siblings stayed and half came to Boston, so I figured there would be a lot of graves for the family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions