Search for content in message boards

Edward Phillips m Lucretia Stratton, Franklin, Maine

Edward Phillips m Lucretia Stratton, Franklin, Maine

Posted: 5 Jan 2012 7:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Phillips, Stratton
I've hit a dead end, but I'm new at this, so I am hoping someone can give me a hand. I have traced my father's lineage back to Edward Phillips and his wife Lucretia (Stratton) Phillips living in Franklin Maine in the 1900 census and a property deed dated 1921. Their son Charles is my great grandfather and I have him in Northampton Mass in 1921 but possibly living in Franklin when he died in the early 1950's.

I'm looking for any informatin that could give me the parents of either Edward or Lucretia. (1900Census shows Edward as born in Maine, father born in england, mother in scotland.) Also, any information that can fill in details on Charles E Phillips life after 1912.

Any suggestions for where to look are appreciated.
Cheryl

Re: Edward Phillips m Lucretia Stratton, Franklin, Maine

Posted: 6 Jan 2012 10:07AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: phillips
Name: Charles E Philips
[Charles E Phillips]
A CLERK
Spouse: Rachel A Doyle
A TEACHER
Marriage Date: 16 Nov 1907
Marriage Place: Caribou
Registration Place: Caribou, Aroostook
Birth Date: abt 1883
Spouse Age: 23
Father: Edward BORN FRANKLIN, ME
Mother: Lencretia STRATT..
Spouse Father: Edward
Spouse Mother: Ada SMITH BOTH DECEASED

BIRTHS
Name: Rachel Anne Doyle
Birth Date: 3 Apr 1884
Birth Place: Caribou
Registration Place: Caribou, Aroostook
Father: Edward Doyle
Mother: Ada A

RACHEL DOYLE PHILLIPS was with her mother Ada, sister Jannie hubby Charles & son Stratten (1909) in Caribou, Aroostook, Maine

in 1920 Rachel, Stratton + 2 more children Ada M 9 & Marion M 8 are still in Caribou with Ada but now showing divorced

in 1930 Rachel & the 2 girls are still in Caribou & shown as owner of house so, mum Ada must have passed between 1920-1930

cannot see Charles/Cha*

in the 1880 Edward & Lucretia are in Franklin, Hancock, Maine with Emma 5, Anna 4 & Harvey 2

cannot pinpoint eith in the 1870 or 1860 census
cannot find a marriage

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 11:15AM GMT
Thanks for the info. I have found Edward and Lucretia's marriage in Nov 1874. The certificate isn't online or showing in the state archive, so I can only assume it will require working with the town to find it.

Posted: 18 Jan 2012 7:03PM GMT
Surnames: phillips
If this is the correct Charles A. Phillips (not E.), here
'ya go:

http://bit.ly/xfckJ2

Here's a Charles E., who died in Kittery:

http://bit.ly/wKzQfa

Contact Maine State Archives fmi:

http://www.maine.gov/sos/arc/about/fees.html

Posted: 13 Apr 2013 5:20PM GMT
Charles Edward Phillips (High School Principal)
b. Sept 5, 1887-Franklin, ME
d. Aug 4, 1949-Northampton, MA
Son of Edward Phillips and Lucretia Ann (Stratton) Phillips

Married

Gladys Lillian (Rice) Phillips (School Teacher)
b. Feb 3, 1981-Granby CT
d. Dec 23, 1981-Northampton, MA
I have a whole family tree if you would like to exchange information. Charles E. Phillips was my grandfather.

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 5:47PM GMT
Suzietatlovich,
Thanks for your reply. I would love to exchange information with you. Was Gladys also your grandmother? If so, I have been wanting to connect with anyone in that branch of the family since I began this search. Please feel free to email me directly at mainecheryl@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheryl Phillips Shaw

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 10:35PM GMT
Yes, Gladys was my paternal grandmother. My maiden name was Phillips. I will put together a descendant line for Gladys Phillips and email it to you. It may take some time as I currently have the lineage on a huge family tree. Do you have any information on the Phillips lineage of Maine?

Posted: 15 Jun 2013 11:10PM GMT
Sorry, I might have stated that wrong. I am not actually interested in Gladys line as I am not a descendant of hers, but thank you for the offer. I have info on the Phillips line. Unfortunately we have only traced it back two generation from your grandfather, but we have visited the area, found the home where Charles was born, etc. I have some pics that might not be on my tree here, but feel free to check was it on my tree. I was holding out hope that your father might know something about his grandparents as he is the last of his generation that I am aware of.

This link should take you to my tree. http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/34037453/family

I also have written a summary of what I have found on the Phillips and Strattons. You are more than welcome to it. I can email it to you if you contact me with your email.

Cheryl Phillips Shaw
mainecheryl@gmail.com

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 2:49PM GMT
I will speak to my dad to see if he remembers anything; however, he says he was never much interested in genealogy. How are you related to my grandfather? We know he was married before he married Gladys. Is that where the lineage comes from?

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 9:32PM GMT
Your grandfather Charles was married to Rachel Doyle before he married Gladys. Their son Edward is my grandfather. We had never known much of anything about Charles. The family story is that he just left Rachel and eventually remarried and had another family. The only way anyone knew he was in Mass is because some family lived there and saw his picture at their school and made the connection. (at least according to family lore.) We have unearthed some photos from Rachel's home that we think are Charles, but no one can verify. And Charles parents, your father's grandparents, are where I have hit a dead end with the geneology. If you father has a picture he would be willing to share, I would be thrilled (and more than happy to pay for copying.)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic