Search for content in message boards

would like help with Finnish background

would like help with Finnish background

Posted: 24 Mar 2003 7:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Willijanen/ Sorsa
I am new to all the ancestry tree sites. and have been trying to find information on my Ggrandparents John Viktor Willijanen. He married Hilya Sorsa (date unknown). He grew up in Helsinfors, Finland. Do not know about Hilya. Any information that I can get would be graetly appreciated.

Re: would like help with Finnish background

Posted: 25 Mar 2003 2:21AM GMT
What state were they from? Any birthyears?

jean (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2003 5:31AM GMT
Surnames: Williams (Willijanen)/ Sorsa
I have no dates as to when they came over from Finland, when they died, or bifths of any of thier children except my grandmother. All I have are names of her parents, and brothers. I believe my grandmother might be the oldest of them all, she was born May 1918. I have visited Ellis Island and can find no record of their arrival I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?

Posted: 25 Mar 2003 12:36PM GMT
If you tell me what state that they lived in and know the county i can check the 1920 and 30 census for their emigration date.
I think that the last name was spelled Wiljanen , there is not a name in finland like the one you spelled.

Posted: 25 Mar 2003 12:46PM GMT
I need the names of the children also. There are too many Wiljanen names in the census to search successfully.

Jean Schreckenghost (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2003 1:38PM GMT
Surnames: Williams (Wilijanen)/ Sorsa
My grandmother said she was born in Elkhart Indiana. Then at the age of two they moved to Michigan. My ggrandfather had americanized his name When coming to U.S. from Wilijanen to Williams. Thanks for the help.

Jean Schreckenghost (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2003 1:47PM GMT
Surnames: Williams(Willijanen)/Sorsa
I'm not sure of any birthdates except my grandmothers-
May 1, 1918 - Olga Williams
George Williams
John Williams
William (Bill) Williams
The last name I will spell in capitals because you missed a letter or two ( I know its not easy to make them out all the time - WILLIJANEN.
Thanks again.

Posted: 25 Mar 2003 2:02PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
The posting board is not working right. Click on my name and email me at home. I saved a copy of the 1920 census page and would have to send it as an attachment.
Alicia

Theo (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2003 12:08PM GMT
I am sure that your surename Willijanen hadn't be a original It must to be Viljanen or something like that. By the way Viljanen has rother normal surename there in Finland. You can to try watch places maakunta-arkisto or in swedish lands arkivet and ask there. It offilcial registration administration in Finland. Good luck!

newsprite (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2003 9:28AM GMT
John (Johan/juh) Wiktor Wiljanen
Hilja Sorsa

Pls look www.migrationinstitute.fi/migration/pl
www.genealogia.fi/indexe.htm Hiski-books christened
per page

Find a board about a specific topic