Search for content in message boards

ALEXANDER WHALEY/MARGARET HAYS SC>TN>AR

ALEXANDER WHALEY/MARGARET HAYS SC>TN>AR

Posted: 11 Oct 2002 2:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Oct 2004 6:02AM GMT
Surnames: HAYS, PRINCE, WHALEY, Lamberson, Prince
LOOKING FOR INFO ON MY GGG GRANDPARENTS ALEXANDER WHALEY AND MARGARET HAYS.

ALEXANDER WAS MARRIED TO A WOMAN NAMED RUTH MACANALLY. HE LEFT HER AND THEIR CHILDREN AND RAN OFF WITH A MARGARET HAYS. MARGARET MAY HAVE BEEN PART SIOUX INDIAN. EVENTUALLY THEY SETTLED IN SULPHUR ROCK, INDEPENDENCE CO.,ARKANSAS.THEY HAD 5-6 CHILDREN TOGETHER. THEIR SON RILEY PINKERTON WHALEY WAS MY GG GRANDFATHER. HE MARRIED A WOMAN NAMED LUCINDA LAMBERSON, AND AFTER HER DEATH HE MARRIED MY GG GRANDMOTHER TENNESSEE PRINCE.

ANNETTE

Re: ALEXANDER WHALEY/MARGARET HAYS SC>TN>AR

Judy Ashton (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2003 1:05AM GMT
Surnames: WHALEY
I am a descendant of Thomas A. Whaley b: around 1856 d: 1929 in Ingersoll, ON. He married Matilda Ann Allum. Unfortunately, I have no other info on ancestors. I do know that some of the Whaley's lived in Michagan and Canada as well.
I'm wondering if my Thomas could be related in any way.
Any info would surely help........Thanks, Judy

Posted: 7 Jun 2005 3:30PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2005 5:58PM GMT
Surnames: WHALEY, KIRKLAND, HODGES
I think my GGG Grandmother is your Riley's sister. My GGG Grandmother's name was Jane Whaley. Jane was born around 1847 in Arkansas, probably in Independence County. She was the second wife of Calvin C. Kirkland and the mother to my GG Grandmother, Cora Belle Kirkland. According to a cousin, Jane's mother's name was Hayes. The family story goes like this:

"Cora Belle Kirkland was the daughter of a family named Whaley. Her grandmother on her mother's side was from a family named Hayes. They came from Hayes County, TN to AR. On their journey as they crossed the Mississippi River by ferry at Osceola, AR, Cora Belle's grandmother was born. Osceola was then called "tent city" because of all the settlers who had crossed the river and set up temporary homes."

Cora's father and mother lived around Sulphur Rock, Independence County, Arkansas.

Do you have any information on Riley's siblings? I have a William A. Whaley living in Independence County on the 1880 census along with Riley's family and Jane's family. I'm thinking that William is a brother to Riley and Jane.

Does anything look familiar?

Kelley

Annette (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jun 2005 12:31AM GMT
Surnames: Whaley, Hays, Mongold
It does sound like a connection. Riley P. Whaley was my gg grandfather. Alexander Whaley and Margaret Hays were my ggg grandparents, all on my dad's side.

Actually Alexander and Margaret were never legally married according to information sent to me by my dad's first cousin. Alexander was legally married to woman named
Ruth McCannally (I may have the spelling wrong) and lived in SC. They had around 10-12 children.

Supposedly Alexander was out riding his horse one day when he met a beautiful young woman named Margaret Hays, who some say was a Sioux Indian (that has never been proved). he was so smitten by her that he made arrangements to meet Margaret later, went home and packed some belongings and left Ruth and the kids behind to be with Margaret. He is said to have taken a new saddle that belonged to Ruth along with the other possessions

They left SC and eventually settled in AR and lived like they were man and wife.. They had six children together two of them were Jane and Riley Whaley, the others I do not know their names. Riley married twice first to a woman named named Martha Lamberson, and then when she died he married one of Martha's cousins Tennessee Prince. Tennessee was my gg grandmother, and their daughter Martha Jane Whaley was my great grandmother.
Matha Jane eventually married a man named Willard Arthur Mongold, and they were my great grandparents.

Alexander had fought in the War of 1812 and was supposedly quite a hero. When he died, his pension went to Ruth because their marriage was never dissolved and Ruth was his legal wife.

I will send you the e-mail of my dad's first cousin who sent me this information, as well as other information if I have it.

Annette

Posted: 8 Jun 2005 1:12PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2005 5:58PM GMT
It definitely sounds like a connection. Do you have proof that Jane and Riley are brother and sister? I'm just going on assumption that they are along with William A. Whaley, since they all three were close in age and living in Independence County during the 1880 census.

Do you have any of the documentation about his involvement in the War of 1812?

Do you know where he and Margaret/Margret are buried?

I hate to bombard you with questions, but I just found out a couple of weeks ago about the Whaley/Hays connection in my line and I'm so excited to have a new avenue to investigate.

Thanks for all your time and help. Talk with you later.

Kelley

Posted: 16 Apr 2008 11:16PM GMT
Surnames: Whaley, Hays
My gg grandfather was Alexander Whaley on my mothers side. Alexander and Margaret had the following children; Malissa Ann, Middleton Bendfield, Susan, Riley P.(my g grandfather) Elizabeth Ann and William A. Riley married Tennessee(Prince) and had 7 children (that I know of): Addie, Mable,John, Daisy, Eva, Mid, and William H. My grandfather is William and he married Essie McJunkins and they had 3 children; Charles, Lillian, and Kathryn (my mom). Any other information you could give me would be real helpful. Hope this info has helped you in some way. This side of the family has been hard to find information on, and I have no family left to get names from. Thanks, Kathy

Posted: 23 Aug 2011 1:53AM GMT
HOPE THIS YOUR SIDE: ALEXANDER WHALEY B:1789 MARRIED TO RUTH McANALLY 1812. LEFT RUTH SOMETIME IN THE 1830 WITH MARGARETT HAYES AND WENT TO AR. THEY HAD 5 CHILDREN:MIDDLETON B.WHALEY,SUSAN,RILEY P.,ELIZABETH,WILLIAM A.. WILLIAM A WHALEY (MY SIDE) MARRIED MARY C. LABERSON THEY HAD 8 CHILDREN: TRUMAN B.,ANNA C,ADA A, LULA L, MARY,DE W,WILLIE,WILLIAM M. TRUMAN B WHALEY(MY SIDE) MARRIED OPHELIA HODGES THEY HAD 3 CHILDREN:BERTHA,EDNA,JESSIE MAE.JESSIE MAE (MYSIDE) MARRIED OLA PETE GARRISON THEY HAD 5 CHILDREN:CHARLESJ. GARRISON IS MY FATHER. SOME OF THE WHALEY'S ARE BURIED AT MAGNESS CMT. INDEPENDENCE CO. AR. LISTED ON FIND A GRAVE .COM. ALEXANDER HAS A WAR MARKER IN BLOUNT CO. AL NEXT RUTH McANALLY WHALEY AND SHE GOT HIS PENISON. I DO NOT KNOW IF HE THERE OR NOT. I FEEL THAT HE IS BURIED IN AR. AND MAY BE IN MAGNESS CMT. THEY IS A LADY IN SULPHUUROCK AR. SHE IS MIDDLETON B.WHALEY'S GRANDAUGHTER. LET ME KNOW IF THERE IS A CONNECTION. DONNA

Posted: 23 Aug 2011 3:37AM GMT
Surnames: Whaley, Mongold, Abbott
This is my family, too but Riley P. Whaley was my great great grandfather. He married Tennessee Prince and their daughter Martha Jane (aka Jennie)Whaley was my great grandmother. She married Willard A. Mongold, and their daughter Helen Maureen was my grandmother. Helen married James H. Abbott Sr., and their son James H. Abbott II was my father.

Posted: 24 Aug 2011 3:55PM GMT
I believe I am also related to this family through Malissa Ann Whaley who I think is the oldest child of Alexander and Margarette. I had known for years we had a Whaley/Clark connection and I only found this a few years ago. In 1840 the census shows a daughter as the oldest child. So when I found them in 1850, there was a Clark right next door. Malissa Ann married Jepsy/Jessy Clark prior to the 1850 census. Both Alexander and Jessy Clark were blacksmiths. I have no proof but I feel real strongly about it.
My line goes: Alexander & Margarette > Malissa Ann & Jessy Clark > Martha(?) and William Hughes > Ellen & Willie Tate
(my father). The other Clark children have been somewhat elusive but I do have information on daughter, Susan Elizabeth who married David Jones.
It's great to find new cousins. If any of the information above is familiar or you have any theories, please let me know.
Mary Cody
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions