Search for content in message boards

Gleeson/Gleason

Gleeson/Gleason

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 5:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
I was looking at a Tipperary Emigrant list from 1826 to 1868 for Sydney,New Wales ,etc. It was provided by Rootsweb and I couldn't help notice that there is no spelling for Gleason with an "a",all persons were Gleesons , with a double "e". Certain stories were told in our family of some relatives that chose Australia over America. Is it worth my while to assume that the surname Gleeson was interchanged with Gleason on these lists?

Re: Gleeson/Gleason

Posted: 6 Nov 2012 5:22PM GMT
Most irish names you need to be looking for alternate spellings, some far more diverse than Gleeson/Gleason. Names were spelled as sounded to the writer of passenger lists.
The earlier they are the most diverse due to many people not being able to read and write. Even in the 1901/1911 many people still did not read or write.Often spellings of names changed on immigrating as well and spelled by the ear of
the writer. My husband's family were Codd's in Ireland and
Code/Coad in Canada, Cody in the USA.

The Griffith Valuation of 1846-1875 depending on the county
and as you are on Tipperary message board, there were
1,023 Gleeson's in just the North Riding of Tipperary 1852 and
154 Gleeson's in the South Riding of Tipperary 1850.
1)www.askaboutireland.ie (helpful if you have parish)
2)www.failteromhat.com (simpler version by Parish & Townland then can go to the 1st.source

Annette Code

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 9:11PM GMT
I only had a chance to read this today. We didn't have WiFi here in S.I.,N.Y. for a while . Thanks Annette , I appreciate your response. It now makes sense to me.

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 9:56PM GMT
Everyone is complaining about internet service in my acquaintance and none have a server in common!

I didn't give you any more sources for information than the
Griffith Valuation. An earlier valuation was the Tithe Applotments 1820-39. These have just come on line from the
National Archives.

www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie also they have the 1901/11
Census as well

www.census.nationalarchives.ie

www.failteromhat.com has Griffith Valuation as given previously but also two early Commercial Directories
1824 Pigots and 1846 Slaters.

www.from-ireland.net has a wide variety of information
a graves index, civil registrations 1864+ also Lewis Topographical Dictionary from 1837. Look up names of town's area's, parish's etc.

There is also a good description of the different divisions of Ireland by church and state, four provinces, baronies,
poor law union and later civil registration as well as parish civil and religious and townlands-unique to Ireland.

Tipperary also is a member of an online data base for baptisms before 1864, church and civil from 1864 to about 1899. Some deaths in Parish's. It is a none profit but fee
paying website but the easiest way to find family records
and families.

Annette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions