Search for content in message boards

John Flaherty, father of Nora, Tuam 1900s

John Flaherty, father of Nora, Tuam 1900s

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 6:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Mar 2013 3:06AM GMT
Surnames: Flaherty
Looking for information for John Flaherty's family. His daughter Nora left for the US in 1920. She died in 1989 having married Paul Hansen and having 2 sons John and Paul. I am certain I have family members still living there now.

Re: John Flaherty, father of Nora, Tuam 1900s

Posted: 30 Mar 2013 2:54PM GMT
From the 1911 Irish census it seems likely that Nora and father John were from the little village of Ballina in Ballypark, County Galway. While not exactly in Tuam it could reasonably be considered to be in the Tuam area. Immigrants frequently provided the name of the nearest big town as their Irish address.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Ball...
It's also likely that one or more of Nora's older brothers or sister may have preceded her to America.
Today there are 196 Flahertys in the phone book for County Galway but none for Ballynapark that I cans see.
http://www.eircomphonebook.ie/q/name/where/County%20Galway/w...
The noble Flaherty name is legendary in Galway. "Lord save us from the ferocious O'Flaherty's" was inscribed on the ancient walls of Galway City. The Flaherty tribe frequently raided the old city sweeping down from the hills of Connemara.

- John

Re: John Flaherty, father of Nora, Tuam 1900s

Posted: 14 Jun 2013 3:04PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jun 2013 3:12PM GMT
www.familysearch.org look for births from 1864 to the 1950's and you should find Nora.

Tuam is likely the Civil Registration District and covered an area of 12mi. and why as indicated from the other posting, emigrants gave the town as where they were from.

She maybe born too late to be in the parish register information on line at www.rootsireland.ie as most
counties only collected till 1900.

Tuam is the Civil Registration District for the townland of Ballina in the Parish of Killererin.

I think the spelling of Killererin has changed but the
Tuam records for RC go back to 1790-1900.

Annette Code

Annette Code
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions