Search for content in message boards

Looking for info on Peter Walsh from Ireland

Looking for info on Peter Walsh from Ireland

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 3:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, I've started the family tree and want to trace back to Ireland but that's where I'm stuck. All I've got is a 1911 censor form on Peter Walsh born adout 1871 Peterwell Galway Ireland. Can anyone help.

Many Thanks
G.Walsh
Attachments:

Re: Looking for info on Peter Walsh from Ireland

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 10:03AM GMT
Edited: 9 Apr 2013 1:28PM GMT
I'd start by searching for the marriage of Peter & Martha - presumably in England (check to see where Martha and the various children were born for clues to where the marriage may have been). The 1911 census should say how many years they are married.

A search for a marriage is usually easier if you have the bride's surname to cross-check any possible matches, so it might be a good idea to start with a birth cert for one of their children to establish Martha's maiden name, if you dont already know that.

A marriage cert would give you their father's names and occupations to help narrow down possible birth matches.
(ages on Census returns etc are not always accurate, the the extra detail can help confirm, or rule out a possible match)

The BMD Index for England/Wales is on FreeBMD
The Irish BMD Index is available on FamilySearch
(both are also available on Ancestry)

You can use the references on the indexes to order certs from the relevant GRO.

Have you located Peter on any earlier census returns in England ?
He may be with other family member or even his parents in 1901....

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 10:20AM GMT
There's is one town and several townlands in Co. Galway ending in '...Well' but nothing like PeterWell that I can
find.

Craughwell (Town), also two separate townlands name Craughwell, one in Killora civil parish the other in Kiltormer.

A townland named Eastwell in Killallaghtan civil parish, and a townland name Blindwell in Kilconla civil parish.

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 10:35AM GMT
Edited: 9 Apr 2013 10:47AM GMT
Think I found the location - it's seems to have been the site of a Holy Well and later a small village within a townland so doesn't appear on the townland database.

The older maps show the village as 'St. Peter's Well' and it's located on the borders of several townlands - Cuilmore, Lissadoill, Gardenblake Commons and Cappard Demesne.

see : http://goo.gl/mRGqZ (c1837 OSI Map)

The location is about 9km north east of the town of Gort, and all the townlands mentioned are in the civil parish of Kilthomas, and split between the Poor Law Unions of Gort & Loughrea - most being in Gort. (Registration districts usually equate to Poor Law Unions)

p.s. found the family on the 1911 census - married 10 years so c1901, Martha and all the children born Lancashire, so expect that's where the marriage took place.

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 8:54PM GMT
Wow, thanks for all the great advice shanew147, So my first step will be to get the birth certificate of a child. I'm waiting for the marriage certificate, hopefully this time it will be the right one.

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 8:59PM GMT
I've come across Peterswell which they could of spelt
wrong on the censor and spelt it Peterwell

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 10:10PM GMT
Ok I found out Peter Walsh wife's maidens name, she was Martha Connell and I ordered a marriage certificate but their age don't match up with all the other info, could there be 2 different marriages between Peter Walsh and Martha Connell in the same year ?

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 6:50AM GMT
Edited: 19 Apr 2013 7:12AM GMT
I wouldn't worry too much about ages being accurate, as long as they are with a few years and the other details match up - e.g. addresses, occupation for the groom etc

S.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions