Search for content in message boards

Francis George Collins Clonmel

Francis George Collins Clonmel

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 11:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Collins
Seeking information re Francis George Collins and his wife whose name is possibly Ellen (surname unknown)believed to have lived in Clonmel about 1846 where their son (my great grandfather)James Walter was born. I do not know whether there were any siblings but would like to find out. James Walter died in Sydney, Australia, in 1890 but so far I cannot find any records of him arriving in this country. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Francis George Collins Clonmel

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 4:04PM GMT
Clonmel RC St. Mary's has records from 1790-1880 and also SS Peter & Paul, Clonmell 1836-1880, CofI marriages 1845-1864. This from an Irish History Foundation website with parish records.
Francis George was not a common name so you should be able to find a marriage, this would include the bride's maiden name and her father's name. A birth record would have parish/place, date, mother and father's name and mother
maiden name.

Ancestry seem to have the biggest ship passenger lists but you can also try wwww.theshipslist.com
There used to be several organizations like ancestry who had passenger records but I think Ancestry has pretty much wrapped up these small enterprises.

About the only record Ireland has for passenger records are convicts list is available at www.nationalarchive.ie
Does not the Auz. government have a website for that?

www.familysearch.org has only one James Collins on the Bounty Feb 1842.

www.askaboutireland.ie for the 1852 Griffith Valuation.
Couldn't see a Francis.

Annette Code

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 11:45PM GMT
Surnames: Collins
Thank you Annette for your concise answer to my query. I am now in the process of following the leads you have given me. The Australian website does have several website re passengers and convicts but I have not had any joy searching these. There are several James Collins but I cannot narrow it down without knowing where he left from. Anyhow thanks again I shall just keep trying. Jane

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 1:45PM GMT
Good luck, try Dublin for passenger ships however, most of them left from Liverpool and then picked up down the coast of Ireland, Wexford, New Ross then Cork before setting out for Auz. So just because it says Liverpool don't pass on those.
Annette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions