Search for content in message boards

Looking for information on a Templetuohy tombstone

Looking for information on a Templetuohy tombstone

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 11:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Quinlan, Gallagher
Someone from Kildorrery, Cork, where Maurice Gallagher and one of the Quinlan sisters settled, said a friend told her she had seen a gravestone in Templetuohy with Maurice's name on it. We think it is unusual that a male from Kildorrery, Cork, wouild marry someone from northern Tipperary. They would have lived a good distance apart. I am interested in knowing what is on the tombstone. Maurice's oldest son's mother was recorded as Margaret Quinlan and the other children's mother was recorded as Bridget Quinlan. When the family emigrated, the oldest boy did not go with them. He emigrated a few years later. I am wondering if Margaret Quinlan WAS the mother of John. Perhaps she died, and then her sister married Maurice. I was wondering if the tombstone would have any information that would clear up this mystery. Thank you for any possible help.

Re: Looking for information on a Templetuohy tombstone

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 3:46PM GMT
You might be able to find someone on facebook that would be willing to take a photo for you?

It does seem a bit of a stretch but perhaps relatives got them together or he or she moved for work, perhaps he was in the army and stationed elsewhere. You don't supply any possible dates? I would need to know to see if any resources I have might fit.

I have the name of a UK company who have inscriptions rom the graveyard Templetuohy but no promises they would have yours, the collection is dated 1888.

Also www.from-ireland.net has a gravestone index?

If he died after 1864 his civil registration of death would appear free on www.familysearch.org or you could try for a copy of a birth certificate www.groireland.ie

Also Tipperary North & South parish records are available from www.rootsireland.ie
depending on survival of records. Cork only has North east records online on the website but there is a genealogy office for the South West, don't know the website - you could google that.

Annette Code

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 7:49PM GMT
Surnames: Gallagher, Quinlan, Galway
Annette, thank you so much for taking the time to respons to my query. I am a bit behind on my emails so my apologies for not answering sooner. As for dates, Maurice's son John was born in 1837. In the townland of Gortacurrig and sometimes Ballynoulty, parish of Kildorrery, Cork, for a few years just one branch of the Gallaghers was known by the name Galway. Some church records use the name Galway, while for the same family another priest recorded the name as Gallagher. Interestingly, John was listed as the son of John Galway and MARGARET Quinlin. The other children were the children of Maurice Gallagher and BRIDGET Quinlan. When I was in Ireland, I looked at Templtuohy records and found no marriage. I have used Irishroots and find no marriage indexed. I know the names of the parents of Bridget and found her Baptism. I also found a Baptism for a Margaret Quinlan to the same parents. The names and years of Maurice's children in summary:
1837 John (to Maurice and Margaret)
1839 Catherine (to Maurice and Bridget)
1841 Patrick (to Maurice and Bridget)
1843 James (to Maurice and Bridget)
1845 Mary (to Maurice and Bridget)

The children were all baptized in Kildorrery. Marriage records were well recorded by that time, but there is no marriage there for Maurice. Also of interest - JOhn did not emigrate to Canada with the family. He went a couple of years later. This leads me to believe that he did have a different mother. Perhaps Margaret, his mother, died, and Maurice then married Margaret's older sister, Bridget (perhaps thought to be a spinster without hopes of marriage).

I hope this information helps. I really appreciate your interest.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 7:03AM GMT
Marriages generally took place in the bride's parish if not the same as the grooms perhaps that is why you couldn't locate it.

I'm surprised you didn't find records on rootsireland.ie
as they list Killdorrey has baptisms from 1824-1912 and marriages from 1803-1922!

I'm looking at my map and don't know where the line is between them although I can see Kildorrery 12 mi. from Mitchelstown.

I did find a later Gallagher family from Kildorrey in the civil records CD by the Latter Day Saints, no longer available and replaced by the website www.familysearch.org
I didn't find any Galway's listed in Kildorrey (but other places)

Parents John Gallagher & Ellen Roche

Mary Gallagher born 10 Dec 1870 #859 Kildorrey

John Gallagher born 18 May 1872, Kildorrey

Elizabeth Gallagher born 24 July 1874

These parents would of been born about 20-25 years earlier than 1870!

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Annette.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 2:03PM GMT
Surnames: Gallagher, Galway, Quinlan
Thank you, Annette. I am all set on my Gallaghers in Kildorrery, Cork, parish. There is no marriage there for Maurice Gallagher or Maurice Galway and either Margaret Quinlan or Bridget Quinlan. I looked first in the bride's parish. Marriages there were recorded early, about 1804, so a marriage in the late 1830's should be there. It is not there. I have used the index on Rootsireland and cannot find it. I have used every variation, using first names only, last names only etc. It is a mystery. I am hoping that someone will eventually find the cemetery information. Thank you again for your interest. I really appreciate it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions