Search for content in message boards

Francis Neaton ;Northern Tipperary

Francis Neaton ;Northern Tipperary

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 2:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
My main interest is in tracing my gg grandfather Francis Neaton born (most likely) in North Tipperary between 1817 and 1819. I am hoping to find a record of his birth and his parents and siblings.
I have previously found information about Neatons living in N. Tipperary and Co. Offaly. I have found birth, marriage and census records (1800's to 1911) that show Neaton families in Lohhra, Borisokane,Riverstown, Rathcabban Church in N. Tipperary and on Bridge St. in Birr, Parsonstown, Co. Offaly.

I have also noted marriages with: Boylan, Harte, Moran, Daly, Dooley, Egan, Foley, Gibson, Gleeson, Kennedy and Ryan
families.

Francis emmigrated from Ireland in the 1840's, settled in Picton, Ontario (1840's) before immigrating to Emmet in St. Clair Co., Michigan USA around 1850.
Thank you in advance for any ideas you can provide.
Dan

Re: Francis Neaton ;Northern Tipperary

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 3:24AM GMT
The best source of names and land come from the Tithe Applotments of 1820-1839. This is now used as a census substitute. www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie There are no Neaton's listed in Tipperary but there is one in Offaly, Michael Neaton, Ballyboy, Kings/Offaly. Offaly & North Tipperary do share a border and parish's and townlands can overlap and marriages usually tok place in the bride's parish.

Next is 1846-1864 the Griffith Valuation (also of land)

www.askaboutireland.ie (you can see who lived where, how much land they rented/leased, who their neighbours and landlord were. Also important other than the Parish is the Poor Law Union that would cover a 12 mi. radius of the town named for the PLU.

The only Neaton in 1852 was named Mary Neaton renting from
Daniel Kennedy Parish Dorrah, Townland Derrinsallow
Poor Law Union Parsonstown also known as Birr

10Aa house, outbuildings and land 15 acres 18 perches
10B land 10 acres 2 roods and 19 perches

10Ab Mary Neaton is the landlord for Mary Moylan - and rents her a house

next of course is the 1901/11 which is late for your family.

Tipperary North and South Riding have records on an Irish History Foundation. Perhaps this is where you found your baptism records. I notice RC Birr-Carrig records only go back as far as 1838 and Dorrha only as far as 1886 for the Church of Ireland.

So you have done pretty well getting the information you have. There are no listings for the Neaton's in the Tipperary or Offaly telephone book.

Annette Code

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 5:16PM GMT
Thank you for the information and ideas that you have shared. Recently I viewed the death certificate for Francis and discovered that his parents names were Peter Neaton and Mary Ann Kennedy. While the Neaton surname is relatively rare, the Kennedy surname is ubiquitous. Yet, Denis Neaton married a Mary Kennedy. Other Kennedy's Martin, Bridget, Anne and Ellen appear on birth and marriage records as sponsors and witnesses, while Daniel Kennedy was lessor to Mary Neaton on the Griffith record that you shared.
A final question; am I likely to find more details by checking parish records in person?
Thank you again. You have been most helpful.
Dan Neaton Ann Arbor, Michigan

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 11:24PM GMT
RC research in person is unlikely to get you better results as it is either there in the Parish Registers or it isn't, The National Library has a big RC collection but not complete nor is the LDS complete and where they go their records. You could try www.familysearch.org for the IGI. International Genealogy Index.

The local genealogy office before they joined the database would/should of gone to local parish's and borrowed the registers and put them in their collection.
I do know genealogy offices do that as when I visited the Wicklow office, before the foundation, the archivist was out returning parish registers.

RC registers are kept in local parishes, whereas Church of Ireland has their own library where the majority of their Parish Registers reside to 1899. The List is on the website.
RC Parish were very cooperative with the genealogy offices
as they were spending a lot of time answering letters and with visitors. If you go directly there, make sure you have
an appointment as they are not fond of people just turning up. Some will refuse to help at all, some are helpful. I don't suppose they leave you alone with the records as people steal pages as its easier than writing it out. However, a good camera with no flash might be permitted. Churches are now locked so you can't just wander in except for services. Often clergy are serving several churches in the area not like in the old days when they just served their own church. Any one can walk around the gravestones.

Kennedy's in Tipperary, North Riding in GV are 1,214 and in Tipperary S. Riding 422.

Annette

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 11:24PM GMT
RC research in person is unlikely to get you better results as it is either there in the Parish Registers or it isn't, The National Library has a big RC collection but not complete nor is the LDS complete and where they go their records. You could try www.familysearch.org for the IGI. International Genealogy Index.

The local genealogy office before they joined the database would/should of gone to local parish's and borrowed the registers and put them in their collection.
I do know genealogy offices do that as when I visited the Wicklow office, before the foundation, the archivist was out returning parish registers.

RC registers are kept in local parishes, whereas Church of Ireland has their own library where the majority of their Parish Registers reside to 1899. The List is on the website.
RC Parish were very cooperative with the genealogy offices
as they were spending a lot of time answering letters and with visitors. If you go directly there, make sure you have
an appointment as they are not fond of people just turning up. Some will refuse to help at all, some are helpful. I don't suppose they leave you alone with the records as people steal pages as its easier than writing it out. However, a good camera with no flash might be permitted. Churches are now locked so you can't just wander in except for services. Often clergy are serving several churches in the area not like in the old days when they just served their own church. Any one can walk around the gravestones.

Kennedy's in Tipperary, North Riding in GV are 1,214 and in Tipperary S. Riding 422.

Annette

Posted: 14 Jun 2013 10:16PM GMT
There is a river dividing the town of Birr, County Offaly from north Tipperary. Some information on the Neatons is on the Hart Family Tree, Birr, County Offaly, Ireland. Look for Mary Neaton, who was married twice to two Michael Hart's. Her father was John Neaton a butcher in Main Street, Birr.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic